Rear Water leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WillardBerg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just opened my rear door RHS and found water on my right rear seat beside the headrest. Are there any known issues with a rear window seal leaking? On 2017’s

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
im pretty sure the back windows are known to leak. but the most common one is the third break light leaking.

Edit: Are you from Grimsby in the UK?

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
im pretty sure the back windows are known to leak. but the most common one is the third break light leaking.

Edit: Are you from Grimsby in the UK?

Can almost guarantee it’s your 3rd brake light. It’s a known issue, and ridiculous RAM never fixed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
Since its on your head rest, most of these wont apply but i like listing them for future members who try to search for an answer to finding water under the rear seats

3rd brake light seal is probably the most common cause of leaking. There is a kit for redoing the seal or you can grab some foam weather stripping (forgot the ideal model #) and diy it

The 2nd is window seal or the retractable glass seal, try cleaning up the seal with warm soapy water use a shock dirt seal cleaning tool (google motorcycle shock boot cleaning tool) maybe other methods but i didnt have to deal with this one

The 3rd and most elusive reason is there are 2 vents between the cab and the bed of the truck. You can see them if you look down in the gap. This was my problem area. You have to remove the back seats, remove the vents and (what i did) run a bead of RTV over the mating surfaces of the vents and reinstall make sure to clean up then outside area well because it will have some water and debri buildup. I believe there is a kit for this also but i had RTV on hand and fixed it.

Hopefully this helps you and others who come along

OP
OP
WillardBerg

WillardBerg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well thank you everyone for the help I’m going to try my 3rd brake light reseal maybe aftermarket.

I’m from Grimsby Ontario

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
3rd brake light seal
common problem with our trucks

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
just had this happen on my 2016 ill bet you its the 3rd brake light... i removed it put a weather seal around it and bolted it back on no issues since... RTV is also an option but hope you do it right the first time because itll be a ***** to clean up if you have to pull it again...also risk of messing up the paint when removing it again if a bulb goes out

OP
OP
WillardBerg

WillardBerg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I siliconed in my 3rd brake light (LED bulbs in there) It rained all night and still had water on my rear pass seat backrest corner from the headliner, I think I found the issue being the Right Rear Door seal at the top it appears the moisture had entered from the top of the seal and tracked into the top of my roof - Anyone heard of an issue like this before?

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hopefully that was it for you. The 3rd BL gasket is still an issue right up to today. The gasket was already junk and leaking on my 2019 at 15K miles.

The problem with siliconing them in place is, it's going to be a bear should you ever have to remove the light and gawd forbid you ever need body work anywhere near that light. Even traces of silicone cause serious nightmares for body and paint work. It's one of the reasons you'll never see silicone type adhesives used from the factory on the body.

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
that is what I love about this group.
People will post what there problem was to help out others.
This forum ROCKS

OP
OP
WillardBerg

WillardBerg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here’s my headliner where it meets the back window.

00866961-3128-41F0-B00C-B27645E3C9FC.jpeg

748E05AC-2883-4687-B7EA-36D14C3112EB.jpeg

OP
OP
WillardBerg

WillardBerg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So even though I silaconed the 3rd brake light It was still leaking from the seal because the seal was porous (foam) now a new rubber seal is installed and has fixed the issue

Marmay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well,today I spotted a leak inside the cabin in my 2019 ram classic,right in the upper right rear corner, so most likely is from the third break light,now I am waiting for the gasket to come from Amazon, hopefully this will fix this problem ,thanks to this forum I know what to do.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well,today I spotted a leak inside the cabin in my 2019 ram classic,right in the upper right rear corner, so most likely is from the third break light,now I am waiting for the gasket to come from Amazon, hopefully this will fix this problem ,thanks to this forum I know what to do.
New OEM gasket won't be the long term fix, this thread here is the fix, rubber weatherstripping from Home Depot/Lowe's.

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Make sure you remove the entire OEM seal and clean the surface well. I used 3m strip caulk I had. Works great. Also if you have a moon roof make sure your drains (4- each corner) are draining because the tray will over flow and do that also.

Marmay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
New OEM gasket won't be the long term fix, this thread here is the fix, rubber weatherstripping from Home Depot/Lowe's.
This new gasket is the one,that guys uses for replacing the original oem leaking gasket.

Marmay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Today I do this gasket replacement, clean all surfaces from the old gasket, and put the new one on the light fixture and back on the cabin, but what I think is the real problem, the screws, only 2 of them ,widened a part,one was loose allready, so there is not enough pressure force to really squeeze the gasket evenly, not good design by FCA,can't do much about it,if you push harder, the fixture may crack, so on the end ,I sealed the fixture all around with silicone, hope this fix the leak.