REDLINE OIL long term use ( all redline users come in )

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sash

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ram1500
ok, I just register to this forum just to ask this, I'm gear head and oil nut, my favorite oil is PUP I have been using it for a long time, I did read allot about REDLINE OIL, and the curiosity got the best of me so I try it in my 2020 ram with 20k miles on it, my truck have never have any hemi tick or cold start knock of any sort, but I must say after I switch to RL that motor got smoother and quieter , here is my question to you long time RL users , at what milage you start using the RL and how many miles are on your truck now, what are you high lights low light of using the Rl oil. is there any down side of using redline oil? to the best of my knowledge the RL IS NOT Chrysler certified .

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
There are a lot of good threads on this forum WRT redline. Maybe start here:

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I go back and forth between PUP and redline depending on if I can get redline or not. 0 issues almost to 40,000 miles. Been using PUP and redline since 7,000 miles when my truck was ticking real bad after the dealer did my first oil change at 5,000.

OP
OP
S

Sash

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ram1500
nice, I like to also try schaeffer's oil I have heard great things about,

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
nice, I like to also try schaeffer's oil I have heard great things about,
read the blackstone oil thread and note the long term results of redline, so far wear goes down long term and it looks as good as could be expected. at least with long term being the consideration. Many guys on the board now have a decade of using redline.

John Schmidt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi w/FLOWMASTER 50 SERIES DELTA FLOW
ok, I just register to this forum just to ask this, I'm gear head and oil nut, my favorite oil is PUP I have been using it for a long time, I did read allot about REDLINE OIL, and the curiosity got the best of me so I try it in my 2020 ram with 20k miles on it, my truck have never have any hemi tick or cold start knock of any sort, but I must say after I switch to RL that motor got smoother and quieter , here is my question to you long time RL users , at what milage you start using the RL and how many miles are on your truck now, what are you high lights low light of using the Rl oil. is there any down side of using redline oil? to the best of my knowledge the RL IS NOT Chrysler certified .
Hi. I started using Redline 5w20 on my 2020 Ram 1500 w/5.7L hemi at about 300 miles - yes three hundred. I called Redline, they have excellent tech support and I've spoken with them many times. They have convinced me that there would be no issues in starting that early - on a newer vehicle. Older vehicles ... slightly different materials for rings, different manufacturing processes, etc. perhaps not. In any case, I change the oil in my vehicles every 3,000 miles, or 6 months - whatever comes first ... period. (I'm sure Redline loves me for that!) I started using Redline so early in part because I had some mild ticking, on the vehicle when it was brand new - very minor, lasted for 15 seconds at cold startup after sitting for 48+ hours or so. It may have cured itself, without Redline, but now the engine runs from startup - absolutely smooth, absolutely quiet, no ticking of any kind even after sitting for days. As you'll read, there's some speculation about oil quality/cleanliness and MDS lifter/cam issues. I always change oil myself. I'm not too upset about the price of the oil ... if you look hard you can get 7 qts for $70 plus $10 or so for shipping. My vehicle will see maybe 5,000 miles per year, so worst case - two oil changes per year. Is it MS6395 certified? No, but research will show it surpasses anything called for in MS6395. If there's a warranty issue - maybe I'm on the hook for the repair costs - maybe .. and if that were to happen, then I'll get to take my engine apart and do a MDS delete. But I like to know that I've done whatever I can to head off any issues. - John

Last edited:

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve used redline 5-30 in my 2020 since about 600 miles. At 17,000 now. Zero issues. I also used redline 5-30 in my 2014 that was FBO on and cammed for 30+ thousand without issue.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Been using Redline 5W-30 since 600 miles on my 2014,now have 50000 miles and 600 nitrous dragstrip passes on the truck. Motor is dead quiet on start-up and still pumps 215 psi on all cylinders. Burla talked me into trying it out years ago on my 13,and have been a fan of Redline since,also run 5W-30 in our 300C and the wifes 6.4 Challenger.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Red Line 5W-30 in my truck last summer for 4,600 miles. Blackstone UOA looked perfect. Changed to 0W-30 this winter (live in far north USA). Engine quiet as a church mouse. Noticeably quieter than PUP I ran previously. Much less mechanical noise...clickety clacking. Not lifter tick, just general mechanical clattering is gone.

I plan to change Harley over this summer.

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Normally you are not to expect engine failures. If you have to brag you have gone 17k miles with no issues, somthing is wrong.
On the other hand, I am willing to bet if one buys Cam/Lifter kit proactively, for potential future failure, it will never happen! Lol

Lufty

Muskies Bite
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 REBEL
Engine
I’m would guess @VB712 is saying no issues with MDS or any issues with codes being thrown running a thick 30 weight oil, not necessarily an issue of munching a cam or engine failure.

Wirerat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I switched to redline 5w30 w/royal purple filter at 44300 miles. Clock is at 45800 now.

I don't know if it's the RP filter or the oil that's causing it but the warm idle oil pressure is higher. Never drops below 40 psi.

No codes or lights after 1500 miles.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I switched to redline 5w30 w/royal purple filter at 44300 miles. Clock is at 45800 now.

I don't know if it's the RP filter or the oil that's causing it but the warm idle oil pressure is higher. Never drops below 40 psi.

It is probably the oil. I have the 6.4 hemi and have used pennzoil ultra platinum 0w-40 since new. It has 22000 on it now. The last oil change I went with the RP filter and hot idle pressures are the same as with the mopar filter. I am thinking of going redline at some point. No issues with the pennzoil, but kinda want to try redline. Just not sure if I should stick with 0w-40 or 5w-30...

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter

I made the change to Red Line 5w/30/Purolator Boss PBL 24651 from Pennzoil Platinum 5w/30 and Purolator Boss oil filter at 39,000 miles at the end of August last year. My HEMI is currently at 41,550 approaching 3000 miles on this oil change.

I plan on changing the oil/filter every 3000 miles, so that'll be about every eight or nine months or I could just do an oil/filter change once a year and still be good.

My oil psi at hot idle is 48~49 and at 70 mph it is 52~54. Cold start up oil psi is 55~58.

I purchased a Royal Purple 20-820 for the next upcoming oil change so I can verify for myself if it can keep the noisey valve train quiet like the Purolator BOSS.

Using a top notch oil filter with full synthetic filter media and a good silicon anti drain back valve is the answer along with Red Line oil in keeping the HEMI tick and dry starts minimal. jm2¢

JHoward

Last edited:

Wirerat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is probably the oil. I have the 6.4 hemi and have used pennzoil ultra platinum 0w-40 since new. It has 22000 on it now. The last oil change I went with the RP filter and hot idle pressures are the same as with the mopar filter. I am thinking of going redline at some point. No issues with the pennzoil, but kinda want to try redline. Just not sure if I should stick with 0w-40 or 5w-30...
I was using pup 5w20. I can say the engine is quieter and smoother with the redline 5w30. It became very noticeable around 500 miles after the switch.

It's expensive. Doubles the cost but I only change oil twice a year. So I'll deal with it.
I made the change to Red Line 5w/30/Purolator Boss PBL 24651 from Pennzoil Platinum 5w/30 /MOPAR MO 339 at 39,000 miles at the end of August last year. My HEMI is currently at 41,550 approaching 3000 miles on this oil change.

I plan on changing the oil/filter every 3000 miles, so that'll be about every eight or nine months or I could just do an oil/filter change once a year and still be good.

My oil psi at hot idle is 48~49 and at 70 mph it is 52~54. Cold start up oil psi is 55~58.

I purchased a Royal Purple 20-820 for the next upcoming oil change so I can verify for myself if it can keep the noisey valve train quiet like the Purolator BOSS.

Using a top notch oil filter with full synthetic filter media and a good silicon anti drain back valve is the answer along with Red Line oil in keeping the HEMI tick and dry starts minimal. jm2¢

JHoward
I been changing the oil every 6 months or 5k miles. I drive around 11k miles a year.

Last edited:

John Schmidt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi w/FLOWMASTER 50 SERIES DELTA FLOW
Do you think they would tell you not to use their oil???
As I eluded to, on engines made in the past (ie 70's, 80's, etc.), you wouldn't run synthetic and/or anything like Red Line until you had broken the engine in on conventional oil - perhaps 1,000 to 2,000 miles, to seat rings properly, etc. If Red Line tech support thought that there would be problems running their oil on a new engine, then YES, they would tell me to hold off. They're not going to gain anything by the sale of 7 qts of oil, but risking a customer having problems, bad press, etc. It helps these days actually talking on the phone to support folks to get better information and to establish some trust, background, etc. I know ... my opinion.
Have a good one.
John

Last edited:

TunaFresh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
+1 Royal Purple 20-820

Last edited: