‘17 front air suspension collapsed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

satcomtim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Wife was driving our 2017 Ram 1500 with Air suspension and the front collapsed on her. It’s at the dealer now. Truck has never been off-road and has 13k miles on it. Anyone seen this before?

Only thing I am worried about is I put the adjustable links for the height sensors on it like 18 months ago. Not sure how this could cause a collapse though. They are still connected and look fine. The length difference between the factory links and the adjustable ones are like 1/8” and they hold no load. Just used to let the sensor know the height.

b24ecaa6e50d3fafce91d57f590ceb7f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If they were still on when you took it to the dealer that could be an issue for you. I have a 14 with air ride and read on another Ram forum that some people who used the adjustable links had the box that the arms connect to break inside. They figured it was because a wheel extended down to the bottom limit and it bottomed out the lever inside the box and snapped it.

OP
OP
satcomtim

satcomtim

Reaction score
Ram Year
If they were still on when you took it to the dealer that could be an issue for you. I have a 14 with air ride and read on another Ram forum that some people who used the adjustable links had the box that the arms connect to break inside. They figured it was because a wheel extended down to the bottom limit and it bottomed out the lever inside the box and snapped it.

Yeah, bit worried about coverage. I kept them in the truck for about a year and then took them out. What ever it is it was quick. Both sides went down together and the pump is not trying to run at all. Just driving along normally and now it’s at a dealer. Was out on the road and no where near the house so couldn’t get them either.

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
Yeah, bit worried about coverage. I kept them in the truck for about a year and then took them out. What ever it is it was quick. Both sides went down together and the pump is not trying to run at all. Just driving along normally and now it’s at a dealer. Was out on the road and no where near the house so couldn’t get them either.

First time I've seen this.

Interested in the results/finds. I have a 2014 with air ride. No issues thus far.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know this ain't the answer you're looking for but I think it looks pretty damn cool, need to slam the rear to match.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know this ain't the answer you're looking for but I think it looks pretty damn cool, need to slam the rear to match.

That was my first thought too!

Enter/Exit, Offroad 1, Offroad 2, SlammedYO

OP
OP
satcomtim

satcomtim

Reaction score
Ram Year

c1ac1007bd9243673fa5a51126636f20.jpg

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That’s a ****** problem, but it does look awesome like that!

2018 2500 6.4 4x4 4.10 Amsoil SS 0w-40, Softopper
Black Rhino Armory 18x9 +12mm
Cooper Stt MAXX LT295/70R18

2016 Durango 5.7 AWD 3.07 Amsoil SS 5W-30
1996 Nissan Altima 2.4 Amsoil SS 5W-30

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If you you have a good dealer, they may overlook the aftermarket parts fix evreveryth under warranty.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP, i do hope this could be covered under warranty, i can tell you first hand the repairs on the Mopar air system air equipped vehicles are expensive as chit if you have to pay out of your pocket, at least this is the case in the Grand Cherokees, so perhaps i'm over generalizing, but i'd think this truck will use bigger parts, bigger compressor etc, etc :(, i hope i'm wrong. This is one of the reasons i don't want to be close to anything factory air system ever again, it works great while the parts are working as expected, you'll quickly find out you could upgrade your suspension with Kings 2.5 coilovers and shocks for the same price of the factory air stuff, assuming of course there is no warranty left, if warranty will cover this, you'll be peachy.

Accountant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Hemi 5.7L
Following.

I have air ride on my 2019 and was just about to install adjustable links. I thought the air ride system was pretty stout. I drove too fast over a deep dip on the road and my truck went completely airborne. Just had a regular service appt recently and everything was fine.

OP
OP
satcomtim

satcomtim

Reaction score
Ram Year
9/26/18 update: Stopped by and talked to the service advisor. They ordered a compressor and should have that in tomorrow. No mention about warranty not covering it. Saw the price on the work order for the compressor of $1410. I didn’t authorize that amount so assuming at this point warranty is covering it.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Jeez $1400 for a compressor that you could probably buy for $199...crazy.

Accountant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Hemi 5.7L
9/26/18 update: Stopped by and talked to the service advisor. They ordered a compressor and should have that in tomorrow. No mention about warranty not covering it. Saw the price on the work order for the compressor of $1410. I didn’t authorize that amount so assuming at this point warranty is covering it.

So does this mean that only the compressor failed? Not good news that it failed to begin with, but if the sensors and air bags are still good then it seems that swapping the links did not cause the problem.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
One of the nice things of the 3-yr. bumper to bumper warranty is that it provides enough time for some flakey part to reveal itself; and it gets fixed under the warranty. My '17 is just coming up to 6K on it. I love the air suspension. Your trouble with it is the first that I've heard of.

Floyd1979

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tow a TT with my 2015 , 38,000 miles longhorn with air suspension. Never had a problem yet

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
One of the nice things of the 3-yr. bumper to bumper warranty is that it provides enough time for some flakey part to reveal itself; and it gets fixed under the warranty. My '17 is just coming up to 6K on it. I love the air suspension. Your trouble with it is the first that I've heard of.

^ x2.

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow... i feel bad for the OP. This is exactly why i wont buy any vehicle with air suspension. One less fancy "bell&whistle" for me to worry about.
Hope he`s got a good dealer that will overlook the after-market parts and take care of it for him/her.