‘17 front air suspension collapsed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Accountant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Hemi 5.7L
Have any of you guys with air suspension heard your trucks adjusting themselves without you doing anything, just siting in the driveway? I hear the compressor on mine activate, sometimes several times an hour just with the truck sitting and no use. Like it's losing air and the suspension is self adjusting.

Mine is a 2017 Rebel with just over 11,000 miles. It sits a lot because I have a work vehicle. I typically drive it on my days off and on any long family trips.

Mine does it all the time. Even when my fat ass gets out of the truck it has to self level itself lol.

I love the air ride. Yes it sucks not having any true leveling kit or 2” lift kit but it’s fine for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah I don’t blame ya. I still can’t believe they can’t figure out what’s wrong with it but as much as I hate to say it, I doubt it would’ve taken this long if you were the one who was footing the bill for it.

I’d really have to spend a good amount of time in your shoes before I’d be able to make that kind of decision to toss in the towel. I love my truck. I’m not gonna lie to ya. Not saying you don’t love yours, I’m just saying that since I wasn’t able to special order mine like I had originally hoped to, I was very fortunate to find damn close to the truck of my dreams without having to order it. Well, I couldn’t order because they quit making the upper trim levels this time of year last year because of the new 19’s so when I had found this one, of course it was an instant love at first sight. It wasn’t exactly [emoji817] how I would have ordered it but the stuff it didn’t have, was easily-obtained bolt-on replacements to make it damn near the truck I woulda ordered; if I could’ve.

I’ve done a lot to my truck and spending quite the bucks getting it to where I want it so who knows what it would take to get me to hand the keys back to them for something else. lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just heard back from my dealer, said they were working with engineers in Detroit to try and find the problem. They now have narrowed it down to the air system reservoir. It has a leak and the unit is on backorder. 10 days before it's shipped from the USA. It already has a new compressor, air shock, lines and fittings. Really hope this is it, it's been going on 7 weeks since the first visit to service. I'll have to wait and see if this actually fix's the issue. They said to just stay in the rental, 2018 Laramie no air ride. Never air again after this go around.

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just heard back from my dealer, said they were working with engineers in Detroit to try and find the problem. They now have narrowed it down to the air system reservoir. It has a leak and the unit is on backorder. 10 days before it's shipped from the USA. It already has a new compressor, air shock, lines and fittings. Really hope this is it, it's been going on 7 weeks since the first visit to service. I'll have to wait and see if this actually fix's the issue. They said to just stay in the rental, 2018 Laramie no air ride. Never air again after this go around.

Is the dealer footing the bill for your rental?

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is the dealer footing the bill for your rental?

Yes sir, all the way. They gave me a gas voucher for $50.00 last week because of the many useless times I was called in to pick up my truck and it still wasn't right. I haven't heard from them in 9 days and I haven't called. One good thing is I'm not putting any kms on it while I'm in the rental.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes sir, all the way. They gave me a gas voucher for $50.00 last week because of the many useless times I was called in to pick up my truck and it still wasn't right. I haven't heard from them in 9 days and I haven't called. One good thing is I'm not putting any kms on it while I'm in the rental.

Update: Dealership just called and said they installed a new reservoir and no go. They have now located a hose leaking behind the passenger side rear tail light. The drama continues. The new 2019 I ordered on Nov 6th will soon be in, interesting how this could play out with still no fix for my truck.

Nystagmus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn CC
Engine
Update: Dealership just called and said they installed a new reservoir and no go. They have now located a hose leaking behind the passenger side rear tail light. The drama continues. The new 2019 I ordered on Nov 6th will soon be in, interesting how this could play out with still no fix for my truck.

Yep.....sounds awful suspicious. After you buy the ‘19, your old truck will be on their lot for sale within a week !!

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Wow....lol. I think when the new one gets here I’d just trade it off. I dunno, I’m not there, therefore I have no idea what’s going on inside that shop and yes, this kinda goes against a little bit what I’ve said but I don’t think your dealer knows what the hell they’re doing. This just shouldn’t be taking this long, especially after all the parts they’ve thrown at it.

Last edited:

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep.....sounds awful suspicious. After you buy the ‘19, your old truck will be on their lot for sale within a week !!

When you say "buy", I'm hoping for the least cost option. My truck has been at the dealership for more then 5 weeks now. If it plays out this way I'll be keeping a close eye on my old truck. Can't see how they can sell a defective vehicle to another customer.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow....lol. I think when the new one gets here I’d just trade it off. I dunno, I’m not there, therefore I have no idea what’s going on inside that shop and yes, this kinda goes against a little bit what I’ve said but I don’t think your dealer knows what the hell they’re doing. This Judy shouldn’t be taking this long, especially after all the parts they’ve thrown at it.

I didn't think my truck would be in the shop this long, it's looking very much like the 2019 will be here before my truck is fixed. Maybe it can't be fixed but I find it hard to believe that this day and age and the technology available, that they can't find and correct this issue. As stated many time on different threads on this forum, there are thousands of air suspension trucks which have zero issues in all climate types.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't think my truck would be in the shop this long, it's looking very much like the 2019 will be here before my truck is fixed. Maybe it can't be fixed but I find it hard to believe that this day and age and the technology available, that they can't find and correct this issue. As stated many time on different threads on this forum, there are thousands of air suspension trucks which have zero issues in all climate types.

I don’t buy that at all. There’s something going on somewhere. There just has to be. Nothing is unfixable. Hell, after all the parts they’ve thrown at it, it’s a good possibility they had a bad part right outta the cardboard box that they’ve put on there. Been there, seen it. I’m not sure where the brain is that controls that air ride, if it’s got it’s own module, or if it’s controlled by the main PCM or not but this could be wiring related to. You just never know.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don’t buy that at all. There’s something going on somewhere. There just has to be. Nothing is unfixable. Hell, after all the parts they’ve thrown at it, it’s a good possibility they had a bad part right outta the cardboard box that they’ve put on there. Been there, seen it. I’m not sure where the brain is that controls that air ride, if it’s got it’s own module, or if it’s controlled by the main PCM or not but this could be wiring related to. You just never know.

Speaking of defective parts, forgot to mention they did say they think the new compressor they previously installed could be defective as well. It's been that long that my friends ask me if I bought a new Ram being that the rental is black and mine is ivory.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, ANYTHING can be fixed. It still sounds like they have not used basic troubleshooting and/or common sense.

Its a sealed system. Sealed systems should hold pressure. So start breaking the system down into pieces and pressure test each piece.

Clearly they didn't do that, or else they would have found the leaky hose long before they ordered any parts. Unless the hose went defective with the truck just sitting there.....I wonder if that is their official explanation.

Sure doesnt look all that complicated to me. I know its not easy to troubleshoot the control module, but basic stuff like hoses and reservoirs and the shocks themselves? They need to use their brain for a few minutes instead of blindly following the parts train.

The air suspension system consists of the following major components:

1. Compressor And Valve Block Assembly
2. Air Suspension Reservoir
3. Switch Bank
4. Air Spring And Shock Assembly
5. Air Suspension Control Module (ASCM)
6. Air Line And Electrical Wiring Harness
7. Ride Height Sensors
8. Atmospheric Air Lines

Last edited:

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, ANYTHING can be fixed. It still sounds like they have not used basic troubleshooting and/or common sense.

Its a sealed system. Sealed systems should hold pressure. So start breaking the system down into pieces and pressure test each piece.

Clearly they didn't do that, or else they would have found the leaky hose long before they ordered any parts. Unless the hose went defective with the truck just sitting there.....I wonder if that is their official explanation.

Sure doesnt look all that complicated to me. I know its not easy to troubleshoot the control module, but basic stuff like hoses and reservoirs and the shocks themselves? They need to use their brain for a few minutes instead of blindly following the parts train.

I completely agree with you. One would think the shop has this diagram to trouble shoot the system. Do have a list of parts that the numbers stand for?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, sorry I didnt add that:

3. Switch Bank
7. Ride Height Sensors
8. Atmospheric Air Lines

Note that all of this data is from AllDataDIY, which is basically a copy of the service manual that can be download from Mopar TechAuthority. So its not like the dealer does not have access to this exact same information.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes, sorry I didnt add that:

3. Switch Bank
7. Ride Height Sensors
8. Atmospheric Air Lines

Note that all of this data is from AllDataDIY, which is basically a copy of the service manual that can be download from Mopar TechAuthority. So its not like the dealer does not have access to this exact same information.

Thanks for this, much appreciated.

Doug Taylor

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013-2018 RAM 1500 with Air Suspension
Engine
Air Suspension Manufacturer
Normally a compressor won't fail on its own. It typically fails when there is a leak elsewhere in the system causing it to "burn out" or overheat from overuse. Spray the front air struts and rear air springs down with a solution of soap and water and look for any bubbles which would indicate a leak.

(After the factory warranty expires) When your front struts or rear air springs fail - take a look at Arnott aftermarket air suspension products for your RAM 1500.
Designed & Assembled in the USA
  • Built with OE Quality Components including Eibach dampers & ContiTech Air Sleeves
  • Install Manual & Video for DIY work
  • Limited Lifetime Warranty in the USA
More Here: https://www.arnottindustries.com/products/ram-air-suspension