‘17 front air suspension collapsed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I have lost faith in it. But do like the concept.
Yes it does air back up after starting the engine but drivers front sits roughly 3/4" lower than the passenger front when air up is complete.

Have they looked into your front leveler’s? I would imagine that since those are electric sensors kinda like a rheostat or a potentiometer that sends an electronic signal to call for air/call for decrease of air, they could have some corrosion inside the housing or just something wrong with it.

I dunno, something just tells me that this shouldn’t be still going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have they looked into your front leveler’s? I would imagine that since those are electric sensors kinda like a rheostat or a potentiometer that sends an electronic signal to call for air/call for decrease of air, they could have some corrosion inside the housing or just something wrong with it.

I dunno, something just tells me that this shouldn’t be still going on.

My truck hasn’t seen winter yet and was oil sprayed since second day of ownership. Absolutely no rust under my truck. It was stored indoors all last winter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck hasn’t seen winter yet and was oil sprayed since second day of ownership. Absolutely no rust under my truck. It was stored indoors all last winter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didnt mean like rust or anything, I just meant simply from driving through a mud hole, or just simply down a wet, rainy highway if there was a crack or something in the housing. Heck, even condensation could get in there. And since you put those rod extenders on there, just by tweaking them, even by a little bit, could have opened something up to let even the most minute amount of moisture in it. I would hope those sensors aren’t that poorly built but still, it’s plastic. I’m not saying you did do any of that when you popped those stock leveling rods off for the longer ones but I’m just saying you could have, and not know you did. Anything’s possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I didnt mean like rust or anything, I just meant simply from driving through a mud hole, or just simply down a wet, rainy highway if there was a crack or something in the housing. Heck, even condensation could get in there. And since you put those rod extenders on there, just by tweaking them, even by a little bit, could have opened something up to let even the most minute amount of moisture in it. I would hope those sensors aren’t that poorly built but still, it’s plastic. I’m not saying you did do any of that when you popped those stock leveling rods off for the longer ones but I’m just saying you could have, and not know you did. Anything’s possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I believe you have me confused with another member. I haven't touched anything on my truck, completely stock. I'm not sure what levelling rods look like as well. I hoping to hear from the dealership today, hopefully something on the positive side.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
I believe you have me confused with another member. I haven't touched anything on my truck, completely stock. I'm not sure what levelling rods look like as well. I hoping to hear from the dealership today, hopefully something on the positive side.
Thank you! I thought I missed something. Yup, hope you can move along in the process today!

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Hey, my bad, man. I thought you were the one who stuck the longer links on the front of your truck to level it.

But still tho, as I was putting my running boards on this weekend, I happened to look up at my leveler and uh, there’s not much too them things and, they are plastic so even a rough road, bump, or pretty much just the suspension working could be enough to tweak or crack them things to have water intrusion.

I dunno, I just hope they get it fixed for ya.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey, my bad, man. I thought you were the one who stuck the longer links on the front of your truck to level it.

But still tho, as I was putting my running boards on this weekend, I happened to look up at my leveler and uh, there’s not much too them things and, they are plastic so even a rough road, bump, or pretty much just the suspension working could be enough to tweak or crack them things to have water intrusion.

I dunno, I just hope they get it fixed for ya.

No problem, well it's pretty much the end of the day here and no word from dealership. They told on Friday that if it's not fixed by Tuesday they will have to do something to get me in another ride. Should be interesting tomorrow, I will keep you posted. Not expecting anything great, I'm sure to be out of pocket with this.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No problem, well it's pretty much the end of the day here and no word from dealership. They told on Friday that if it's not fixed by Tuesday they will have to do something to get me in another ride. Should be interesting tomorrow, I will keep you posted. Not expecting anything great, I'm sure to be out of pocket with this.

I think at this point that I’d be telling them to get me a new truck if they can’t figure it out by now. This is starting to sound like either a Friday afternoon truck, or a Monday morning truck.

I wouldn’t blame myself tho, man. Other people have had their trucks with air ride for lots of miles and not have problems. Mine is just under 14k, and it hasn’t had an issue.

It shouldn’t be that way, but it sounds like more and more today that anything anymore is just hit and miss.

You know, and somethin else to think about, since your truck is still under the manufacturer warranty, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if your dealership has their hands tied under the discretion of FCA. I’m sure they’re callin’ all the shots on what the next plan of attack is on your truck. I wouldn’t even be surprised if your dealership even has any say at all about what gets done, and when it gets done.

Last edited:

Nystagmus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn CC
Engine
I think at this point that I’d be telling them to get me a new truck if they can’t figure it out by now. This is starting to sound like either a Friday afternoon truck, or a Monday morning truck.

I wouldn’t blame myself tho, man. Other people have had their trucks with air ride for lots of miles and not have problems. Mine is just under 14k, and it hasn’t had an issue.

It shouldn’t be that way, but it sounds like more and more today that anything anymore is just hit and miss.

You know, and somethin else to think about, since your truck is still under the manufacturer warranty, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if your dealership has their hands tied under the discretion of FCA. I’m sure they’re callin’ all the shots on what the next plan of attack is on your truck. I wouldn’t even be surprised if your dealership even has any say at all about what gets done, and when it gets done.

A guy I work with has had unfixable electrical issues with his Grand Cherokee. Numerous trips to the dealer for the same issue. FCA has yet to offer any type of buy back for him.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A guy I work with has had unfixable electrical issues with his Grand Cherokee. Numerous trips to the dealer for the same issue. FCA has yet to offer any type of buy back for him.

I tend to think NOTHING is un-fixable. The issue is that it will cost too much to fix....now if its under warranty, it "costs" the dealer and/or FCA too much so they just kick the can down the road.

Which is disingenuous at best, because the people saying it cant be fixed (dealer and/or FCA) are the ones that are also not pushing for the vehicle to be replaced or bought back. They cant have it both ways but seemingly they are really good at just ******* off paying customers until they get rid of the truck and go to a different brand.

Somewhere their bean counters probably figure that costs them less than actually fixing the issue. Honda/Acura did something similar with their transmission debacle from early 2000s. "Case by case basis" was the wording...if it broke, we'll fix it. But we won't recall it because it costs less to pray they dont break and fix them when they do.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I would imagine that no manufacturer would straight up offer a buy-back offer in any situation. You’d probly have to start demanding it.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tend to think NOTHING is un-fixable. The issue is that it will cost too much to fix....now if its under warranty, it "costs" the dealer and/or FCA too much so they just kick the can down the road.

Which is disingenuous at best, because the people saying it cant be fixed (dealer and/or FCA) are the ones that are also not pushing for the vehicle to be replaced or bought back. They cant have it both ways but seemingly they are really good at just ******* off paying customers until they get rid of the truck and go to a different brand.

Somewhere their bean counters probably figure that costs them less than actually fixing the issue. Honda/Acura did something similar with their transmission debacle from early 2000s. "Case by case basis" was the wording...if it broke, we'll fix it. But we won't recall it because it costs less to pray they dont break and fix them when they do.

Man I hope not. Chrysler’s been struggling for a long time really and pushing people to other competitors is not the way to do it.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I ended up trading my truck yesterday and ordering a new 2019 Longhorn without the air suspension. Should be here in 4-6 weeks. I really like the air when it worked. It was in the shop for 2 weeks and this morning I checked and surprise, surprise my truck dropped again overnight. The truck I thought I would have for a long time turned into a nightmare with air suspension gremlins. So I'm moving on, lesson learned.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ended up trading my truck yesterday and ordering a new 2019 Longhorn without the air suspension. Should be here in 4-6 weeks. I really like the air when it worked. It was in the shop for 2 weeks and this morning I checked and surprise, surprise my truck dropped again overnight. The truck I thought I would have for a long time turned into a nightmare with air suspension gremlins. So I'm moving on, lesson learned.

That sucks that you had to go through all that, and it’s **** like that that causes people to swear off brands. They’re really lucky that you agreed to buy another Ram. A lot of people wouldn’t have.

Did they at least give you your new 19 for practically nothing? Well, I mean other than the price difference for the new one and the depreciation of the old one?

I hope I don’t ever eat my words since my Limited has the air ride but, there’s really no lesson you had to learn, bud. The way I see it, you got a bad truck that had problems that it shouldn’t have had. **** happens. I wasn’t there at your dealership but after reading all that you’ve wrote, I really think your dealership was lackluster at best. I dunno, maybe I’m wrong but I just can’t see why all that took as long as it did and, why they basically told you that truck was unfixable. But then again, they were probably at the mercy of the manufacturer too since it was warranty.

Hopefully you’ll love your new one as much as you loved your old one before the gremlins invaded it. And I know that air ride is something that most people don’t need. I mean ****, I really don’t even need it myself. lol. I don’t go off-roading. I don’t need the off-road modes. Hell the only time they get used really,
is when I’m showing them off to somebody, or to get greater height when I do an oil change or like the other day when I was putting my new running boards on. I threw it up in off-road 2 mode so that I could slide around under the truck. lol. The aero mode is nice out on the highway because it lowers the truck for better aerodynamics and for lower center of gravity for handling but again, all that’s not a necessity. I don’t even tow that much but for the few times I do, it sure was nice the other day when I volunteered to pull my girlfriend’s daughter’s boyfriend’s Mustang down to the tranny shop. lol. Didn’t even squat, and it was nice being able to raise the truck for that extra bit so that the damn low-ridin’ thing wouldn’t tear the front bumper off just trying to get it on the trailer. lol.

wesplains

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On my 2017 rebel with 10,000 miles my front end dropped just like OP. It was the compressor. Dealer had a new one on in two days. No off roading and barely used the raising/lowering on the air suspension.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On my 2017 rebel with 10,000 miles my front end dropped just like OP. It was the compressor. Dealer had a new one on in two days. No off roading and barely used the raising/lowering on the air suspension.

I took it that fixed it? Did they say it was just a fluke, outta the blue mechanical failure, or from wear? I’m kinda starting to wonder if I need to stop using the aero mode on mine, the way it airs up and down all the time based on my speed.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think the scariest thing about the air suspension is how many issues just end up with "sorry we cant figure it out". Some people then get relief (i.e. buyback or replacement truck) and others get shafted.

Either way....WTF is so complicated about the system that they cant figure it out? There are only so many parts in the system. And on top of that you have people that have had it fixed, only for it to break again and THEN they cant figure out what is wrong.

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think the scariest thing about the air suspension is how many issues just end up with "sorry we cant figure it out". Some people then get relief (i.e. buyback or replacement truck) and others get shafted.

Either way....WTF is so complicated about the system that they cant figure it out? There are only so many parts in the system. And on top of that you have people that have had it fixed, only for it to break again and THEN they cant figure out what is wrong.

Again, when it comes to a warranty deal, the dealerships can and are only going to do so much because they’re not the ones paying for the repairs and the shop time.

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On the other side they get the money from Dodge/ RAM and could replace as much as they could.

To me they just prefer to sell you another truck with your truck as a trade in.

The good old days with a dealership having good mechanics etc.. are gone IMHO.