'03 Quad - Metal Shelf under Rear Seat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Just got an '03 Ram this past weekend... finally, headroom and legroom!

Doing a VERY thorough cleaning. Trying to get that metal shelf under the rear seats cleaned. That thing that folds out and turns into a sorta metal floor/table... unlikely I'll ever use it to be honest.

Googling for a how-to to remove it, and seems to be a few variants of it showing up.

Just wondering, is it easy to remove? I'd like to pressure wash it.

Also... if removed, does it affect the rest of the seat? Can it be removed permanently and the seats still fold up/down and ok to sit on?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yes you can remove it and the seats will operate fine, in fact that's where the factory sub goes if the truck came with one. I like mine, they come in handy.

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
It just bolts in place. You have to remove all but the rear most seat bolts to take it out. You can leave it out if you want to without affecting the seats. If you really don't want it, you can sell it, lots of people have trucks without them that want those, especially the nice metal ones like that. I have them in my truck and they get used a lot.

OP
OP
THRobinson

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Really?

I saw it, flipped it open, looked at it a bit and wondered what the point was... if I needed a big flat area to put something, I'd use the box. :)

Thanks for the info. I'll probably pop it out, pressure wash it, and maybe a light spray of fogging oil (got half a can left from another project) just to prevent rust. If after 6 months I don't miss having it, I'll probably sell it. :D

Previous owner must've used it often though given all the grease and dirt in it. Better it than the carpet though.

Thanks

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Great for keeping larger things locked up inside the truck and out of sight, especially if you have tinted windows and don't have a cover over the bed. Keeps whatever will fit out of the weather as well. And prevents screwing up the seats back there too.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If I'm taking the big dogs with me in the truck, I fold the floors out and have padding I put on it. Keeps them fairly well penned in and keep me from having panting dog head next to mine lol.

OP
OP
THRobinson

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Shame when folded up there wasn't more space between the metal plates... carpeted it wouldn't look so bad. :)

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
picture of this. I want to see what it looks like. might add one myself

Easy enough to put in, surprised yours didn't come with it (if you have a quad cab).

OP
OP
THRobinson

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
And handy... initially I wanted it gone... until I started doing stuff like getting groceries and hauling guitars and such, it's really good to have.

Noisy... rattles non-stop though. I keep forgetting to grab some, but, next time at the hardware store I may buy a pack of the 1x1 felt pads for chair legs and stick them on the corners. When folded and under the seats the metal just rattles and is annoying.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
And handy... initially I wanted it gone... until I started doing stuff like getting groceries and hauling guitars and such, it's really good to have.

Noisy... rattles non-stop though. I keep forgetting to grab some, but, next time at the hardware store I may buy a pack of the 1x1 felt pads for chair legs and stick them on the corners. When folded and under the seats the metal just rattles and is annoying.

Sounds like you're missing the little rubber pegs that go in between them, mine don't make a sound.

129_0201_39z+2002_dodge_ram_1500_quad_cab_slt+cab_space_view.jpg