03 TMR Delete Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SuppaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That Pics Ok, Nothing Wrong with a Dirty Truck, I recognize your Rims and its come back to me know (SXT Off road Decal on the Box?)

You got it! Those are probably my favorite factory wheel Dodge has put on a truck yet. I did have to replace the bed a while back and can't find those decals anywhere!

RollinThunder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
ok, i have been reading up and i have a question.

From what i can decipher on the first page. it seems that if you do the TMR delete, then you can do either the LP boost or the Transgo (springs internal to the Tranny?) but not both?

So the TMR hardens 1-2, the LP and TransGo effect all gears? correct?

i have a pretty hard foot on her already. just trying to make sure i understand it all.

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
The TMR mod as the name implies eliminates the torque management. Line Boosters just increase the line pressure by manipulating the signal of the feedback loop by indicating there is less pressure than there really is and the TCM then regulates the pressure higher to compensate. The Sonnax is a plug and play and comes in #15 and #30 versions. The Transgo, can also be plug and play or just a resistor furnished with the shift kit to install in the LP sensor cable. Transgo VB shift kit is also the bases of some performance modified Valve body's. Some performance tuning manipulates the MAP signal which is also one of the main inputs to determine what LP should be. So IMO, there is no down side by doing whatever is possible to raise the LP as high as you can. There is a mechanical relief if the electronic regulation should totally fail. Good luck..

HEMIBjörn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just pulled the wire, test drove the beast and there's probably a bit of placebo effect thrown in the mix but seemed like the truck had a slightly better throttle response..? But between first and 2n gear, unbelievably smooth and quick transition. Wow

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Don't think I have ever heard of anyone who didn't like this mod.

HEMIBjörn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just still don't fully understand the mod and what it does exactly. Been trying to read up on it.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Think of it as if your e-brake is being applied slightly before, during, and just after a shift but now that cable has been cut so no more bind just smooth butter! No I have not been drinking but we 03's are so luckey we can bypass the effect of so called Torque Management.

HEMIBjörn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's how it feels! Very good anology if I can call it that, but how does it actually work mechanically?

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
That's how it feels! Very good anology if I can call it that, but how does it actually work mechanically?

TMR stands for Torque Management Request which is actually the wire we disconnect. There is a response to this TMR that is Torque Reduction Confirmation which soften the shifts by manipulating timing and the selection of internal shift schedule table. Like most of Chryslers engineering there isn't a lot of disclosure.
From the manual:
Based on the information received from these various
inputs, the TCM determines the appropriate
shift schedule and shift points, depending on the
present operating conditions and driver demand.
This is possible through the control of various direct
and indirect outputs.
Some examples of TCM direct outputs are:
² Transmission Control Relay
² Solenoids
² Torque Reduction Request

Also prime inputs are the MAP signal, TPS and engine RPM, with the TMR not connected the transmission shifts without having a torque request signal to reduce engine torque during the shift.
MAP signal is important to a lot of PCM/TCM functions and is often manipulated during tuning. Good luck

HEMIBjörn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the reply, I get it now.
There are guys out there who will say this can put strain on your drivetrain. What's your take on this?
I can say right away, I don't dog my truck out and especially not now since there is still a bit to do before I'd even think of doing off the line true wot runs

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Thanks for the reply, I get it now.
There are guys out there who will say this can put strain on your drivetrain. What's your take on this?
I can say right away, I don't dog my truck out and especially not now since there is still a bit to do before I'd even think of doing off the line true wot runs

I have put a lot of time and money into my truck to "strain" the drivetrain.
There is a lot of difference between driving a performance oriented vehicle and beating your truck. Build it with top level parts and use good engineering techniques and you'll stand the best chance of durability with a modified vehicle. IMO, If you are looking for reliability, leave it stock. Good luck..

Wildshore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did this mod and also installed the sonnax plug n play connector just to see if it all worked. There is a difference in wot shift response but it's subtle, imo. If someone is expecting a big difference in shift attitude then they may be somewhat disappointed or find it exactly what they need, it's a personal preference thing and it's cheap cheap cheap. Personally, I'm not impressed with this mod and want more, a lot more, that's why a full on trans shift kit is on order, expensive yes but well worth it for the real gains it provides.

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
I'm using a stage III valve body with a 2800 stall, 4:10 gear and manually shift when driving hard. IMO it all works good as a street package.

HEMIBjörn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There was a noticeable difference (for what it is) to me.
Dumbo question, but can you explain manual shifting with an auto. I normally would just have od off when driving hard

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
There was a noticeable difference (for what it is) to me.
Dumbo question, but can you explain manual shifting with an auto. I normally would just have od off when driving hard

Having the OD "off" IMO is important for the transmission to survive hard use. Manual shifting is holding the trans in 1st gear and manually shifting 2nd and then t third.

img20120417003101.jpg

cbfodalo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
sorry for being a tool, but I want to do this mode, but my 03 4.7 does not look exactly like that.
I presume I am looking at passenger side against firewall, plugging into ecm? my truck has 4 separate plugs into ecm, none with a bolt....see attach pic, so where is my tmr, and what pin do I remove.

The 03 TMR Delete Mod comes up every now and then and only takes a couple of minutes and is free. So I searched around and found pictures from another forum and have posted the mod here for future reference. This mod can only be done on the 03 model, all the newer trucks need to buy a tuner. This is a no BS mod that cost nothing and works by removing the torque management request coming from the TCM to the PCM. I've had this mod installed on my 03 for a few years with no adverse side effects. If you are concerned it will hurt something then don't do it.

Location of TCM...

dcp7163.jpg

Remove center bolt and pull plug out.

dcp7159.jpg

Remove the red pin holder.

dcp7161.jpg

Pull wire from pin #10 and tape off the end. Put it all back together and test drive!

dcp7162.jpg

This is really very simple to do, locate the Yellow/Dark Green wire (#10) and remove from the plug or simply cut it leaving enough to reconnect if you ever want to. Fold back the ends and cover with heat shrink.

I don't know how to cut and paste from a PDF file but you can find the schematic on the 03 manual at "Transmission Control System" (8W-31-8).

Good luck....

Attachments

• WP_20140822_07_49_02_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140822_07_49_02_Pro.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
From what I see the mod can't be done on the 4.7 JTEC. It's a 03 5.7 NGC thing.... which has the separate TCM.

cbfodalo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
wow, what a simple and effective mod. 5 minutes, just cut the yellow / green wire and bam more torgue and firmer shifts from 1st to 2nd. I feel like it is helping all shifts. will track mpg and see what it does, but short term it feels a little better.

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
wow, what a simple and effective mod. 5 minutes, just cut the yellow / green wire and bam more torgue and firmer shifts from 1st to 2nd. I feel like it is helping all shifts. will track mpg and see what it does, but short term it feels a little better.

You did the TMR mod on a 4.7 JTEC? If so please explain what you did. Where did you cut the wire?