'05 ram scraping noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mlabuda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
2005 ram 2500, 5.7 makes a kind of metal on metal scraping sound , almost like a water pump getting ready to fail. Seems like it lessens as it warms up. Removed the belt and it still makes the noise so I can rule out anything driven by the belt. My worst fear is timing chain and tensioners. Any other ideas? Thanks.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
post a vid of the noise should be able to give you a good idea from that timing chains are not to common to fail on 5.7 does happen tho the tensioner somtimes fails.

OP
OP
M

mlabuda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ok here is a video with sound. Fresh oil and filter, no change. Sounds the same with the serpentine belt removed so its not any thing driven by belt. I am suspecting timing chain tensioner. I dread tearing into it though. Screw it. I am a computer idiot. cant get video to work.

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do/Did you have shiny sparkles in the oil when you changed it?

OP
OP
M

mlabuda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Oil was free of shiny metallics, even cut open the filter, looked OK. I have a recording of the sound but can not get it to download. Screw it. Cracking it open this weekend.