'06 5.7 weird idle issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MountainMan81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello!

I'm new here and hope to learn some things. The truck has 155k and actually runs pretty decent. At idle it will stutter sometimes like it almost dies. If I turn the wheel it gets worse and sometime will die.

Oil changes up to date, just had it in the shop and had the power steering pump fixed (it was leaking fluid and overheating), battery and alternater were fine, dealership found no more issues but this is clearly an issue. I almost think it just needs a carb cleaner treatment, but I'm no mechanic.

Love the truck so far.

Last edited:

mizewilliamc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
How well does your a/c work? I ask because my a/c fan motor went out and caused my a/c compressor to over heat and the compressor clutch would kick on so hard that when I was idling my truck would stall from the resistance it created in the belt. Make sure your belt is still tight and the tensioner is okay. You can clean do your own throttle body service with rubbing alcohol, carb cleaner from autozone or wherever you go for that stuff, and a tooth brush. If you want to service your injectors then dump half a bottle of marvel mystery oil in your fuel tank and you can put the last half down your oil tube and that can slightly improve things as well. I have an 08 hemi with 165k miles and I’ve been having similar issues as you around the same mileages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

MountainMan81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the reply. The A/C works ok. This will actually happen at any time hot or cold. I will admit that since the pump got fixed the issue seemed better but hard to tell. I've actually had this issue for a good year now.