2 way or 3 way door speakers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn Night Edition
Engine
V8
I'm looking to upgrade my speaker system with Kicker KS (or something else if anyone has recommendations). My question is does it really matter if the door speakers are 2 way or 3 way? I read several articles and threads on this and it only confused me. Some say always go for the 3-way, some say if you have external tweeters the 2 way is better. Thoughts?

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Do you have the basic 6 speaker system? Upgrading the six speaker is usually better to get a set of 3 way coaxial speakers for the doors and then some 2 way coaxial speakers for the dash. Worked good when I had my Big Horn.

I had one speaker (3 way HiFonic) go bad in the front door then I replaced both front speakers with a set of Pioneer 4 ways which did good.

If you have an Alpine system, then I would check to see what components would be the better upgrade option.

OP
OP
FL-RAM

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Do you have the basic 6 speaker system? Upgrading the six speaker is usually better to get a set of 3 way coaxial speakers for the doors and then some 2 way coaxial speakers for the dash. Worked good when I had my Big Horn.

I had one speaker (3 way HiFonic) go bad in the front door then I replaced both front speakers with a set of Pioneer 4 ways which did good.

If you have an Alpine system, then I would check to see what components would be the better upgrade option.

Its the 6 speaker system in the Tradesman.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
Changing out the door speakers will make a big difference.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
I had 3 way, and it sounded really good in my truck.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine

I know it isn't the best for audio, but it sounded ok.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Its the 6 speaker system in the Tradesman.
Pick up a set of Kenwood Excelon components, they are a 6x9 mid range for the door, and a 3.5 coaxial for the dash. They are built to fit in our rams. No amp then with a kicker key 200.4 and it will blow your mind. Either leave the rear doors stick out put a set of Kenwood 6x9 2 ways in there, either way, just for a bit of rear fill.

I'm not a fan of 3 way vs a 2 way set. Most, but not all, 3 way speakers will use 2 smaller tweeters vs one larger tweeter on a 2way.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

89grand

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd recommend a 6x9 woofer in the door, then use a decent (not many available) 3.5 coaxial for the dash. You want the mids and highs on the dash, not down in the doors.

OP
OP
FL-RAM

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Pick up a set of Kenwood Excelon components, they are a 6x9 mid range for the door, and a 3.5 coaxial for the dash. They are built to fit in our rams. No amp then with a kicker key 200.4 and it will blow your mind. Either leave the rear doors stick out put a set of Kenwood 6x9 2 ways in there, either way, just for a bit of rear fill.

I'm not a fan of 3 way vs a 2 way set. Most, but not all, 3 way speakers will use 2 smaller tweeters vs one larger tweeter on a 2way.

Will these tweeters fit?
https://www.crutchfield.com/g_400/A...air=FFSpeaker_Size|6x9&nvpair=FFBrand|Kenwood

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
OP
OP
FL-RAM

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
The speakers that 89grand posted are your best choice.
Kenwood Excelon KFC xp6903c

I'm liking these Excelons. Maybe just replace the fronts and the tweeters and see how it sounds. Later upgrade the rears if needed. I assume the tweeters fit that come with the Kenwoods.

Crutchfield says the tweeters will fit but may need modification. Is that an issue?

Last edited:

89grand

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In my experience, the more sound you can get at dash level the better the system sounds. The biggest problem with a 2 way, woofer in the door and tweeters in the dash/sail panels is that only frequencies about 3khz and up are above the dash, while everything else in near the floor, and the distance between the woofer and tweeter is big leaving a hole in the response. A truck is even taller inside than a car, so the vocals are really low. If you use a 6x9 woofer and a wide band or coaxial in the dash, all the frequencies from about 320hz and up are above the dash, and only the lower midbass is near the floor. The Kicker Key180.4/200.4 even overlaps the crossover frequencies to compensate for the distance between the door and dash by using a 320hz dash crossover and around 600hz on the doors. I thought that was weird at first, but then I understood why they do it.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I did the same thing in my express I got these for the dash www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E4JWG6I/ and these for the doors www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E8OZ1KM (3way) You need to get the adapters to connect them. For a SW I got one of these www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079PRCP9W great for the price but I had to splice it into the wires to get it installed which was a pain. I think it sounds great though. Good luck!

^ I put those Infinity 3.5's in my dash (because everyone recommended them) and there were way way too bright and over powering. Ended up throwing a 5ohm, 10W resistor on them to tone them down a bit and had to fade to the rear more and they are still on the edge for me.

Just be aware when swapping out speakers that (the base 6 speaker system) the factory dash are 8 ohm and doors are 4ohm. Hard to find a 8ohm 3.5 and most are 3-4 so they are going to over power the door speakers and sound too bright without putting some resistors in line with them at a minimum.

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
^ I put those Infinity 3.5's in my dash (because everyone recommended them) and there were way way too bright and over powering. Ended up throwing a 5ohm, 10W resistor on them to tone them down a bit and had to fade to the rear more and they are still on the edge for me.

Just be aware when swapping out speakers that (the base 6 speaker system) the factory dash are 8 ohm and doors are 4ohm. Hard to find a 8ohm 3.5 and most are 3-4 so they are going to over power the door speakers and sound too bright without putting some resistors in line with them at a minimum.

Thanks yes I did notice that. It doesn't bother me and I actually like brighter sound up front in the dash but it's good to be aware of for people that want a more balanced system

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
I'm liking these Excelons. Maybe just replace the fronts and the tweeters and see how it sounds. Later upgrade the rears if needed. I assume the tweeters fit that come with the Kenwoods.

Crutchfield says the tweeters will fit but may need modification. Is that an issue?
Yes that Excelon 6903 set is direct fit in your ram. Nice midbass woofer 6x9 for your door, and a really nice 3.5" coaxial for the dash. Great sound, exact fit. Either install them the way factory is wired, in parallel, or really boost your system and biamp them.

89grand

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, bi-amping that Kenwood 6903 set with a Kicker Key200.4 would take that system to the next level over just wiring it to the stock setup, and it doesn't take much work or money really to do it.