2001 Ram Brake Caliper Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tony T

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Dodge Ram 4WD Quad Cab
Engine
5.9L 360
On my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab 5.9L, I noticed a grinding and scraping sound from the front right wheel a few days ago. I noticed that the retaining clip on the top of the caliper had worked out far enough to be scraping against the rim. The scraping from the retainer had left a noticeable grove in the inside of the rim. So I replaced the top and bottom retaining clips. With in two days the top retaining clip had worked out again and started to cut into the rim again. I replaced the brake pads, rotor, and hub less then 6 months ago. I've seen others online having this same issue but can't find out how to fix it or whats causing it. Any Ideas?

Dcon86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2L
Are there any braking problems? Or just the the odd misalignment from the caliper? Could it be possible the caliper may be uneven or working improperly?

How about heat? Do the brakes become overheated at all? Perhaps the heat is warping the retaining clips?