2002 Dodge Ram fuel pump problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mjmplus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 4x4 V8 Gas
Engine
magnum 360
First off i will link this, that i have stated in a previous post.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/2002-dodge-ram-2500-starting-problems.143025/

I am still having the problem with starting the truck, now it is on going. I am not hearing the fuel pump kick in or fuel gauge work. No fuel no start. Have tried so many things. Have bypassed the fuel pump relay to get the fuel pump to turn on and it works fine. By jumping pin 30 and 87. But truck still will not start. I have checked all wiring that I can for shorts and nothing. I have also noticed that inside cab in fuse box a 5 amp fuse going to illumination is showing no power, change the fuse still same. But when i take out the fuse and test for power i get power, so thinking it's on the ground side is screwed up. Tested all other fuses and all ok. Have had the ECM sent in twice for servicing, on 2nd time they say no problems found. So i am assuming i have a short somewhere that is frying the ECM. I am at a loss now, Gonna see if i can get someone out to take a look at it.

OP
OP
M

mjmplus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 360
I have now noticed that my o2 sensor fuse is reading less than 8 volts all other fuse under the hood that i can multi meter test are reading 12v. I found this out when i used a test light to test the fuses and that fuse was a lot dimmer on the test light, so i metered it and it came back with under 8v.... That's a problem I believe with a ground somewhere, just like the 5amp fuse to illumination showing not grounded to work. But does have power 12v when fuse is pulled and tested on positive side

OP
OP
M

mjmplus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 360
ignore the 5 amp fuse problem.........

jpilk99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry, this is not an answer, but, may be part of what your research is turning up, and that is: Have you found a DIY to test the fuel pump? I'm pretty sure mine is caput and I'm going to drop the tank, tap on it a few times (the truck sat for a few years) and hope it might come to life. But in all likelihood, I'll be buying a new pump --- but would love to test/confirm that the current one is in fact dead. I'm not finding any posts or other online articles about ..."attach 12V to the left terminal of the pump connector while grounding the right terminal....".

Thanks and good luck.

Jay

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
A very easy way to see if the truck will start and perhaps confirm the pump is bad. Put about 1/2 oz of fuel down the throttle body and see if it will start and run for a few seconds.
This is how I determined my fuel pump had given up the ghost when we were out in the middle of nowhere, we also could not hear any sound coming from the pump when the key was turned.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedFlameRam