2009 Ram 1500 5.7L Wont Start having issues with ignition i think

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seth N Resnickoff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The other day i was going down a bumpy road and the red light came on for the alarm. I pulled over and shut off, after this it would not start back up.

Lock and Unlock does not work on my fob.

I took key out and it was stating key was still in ignition when i opened the door.

I tried unplugging the battery for a couple hours this did not help.

Now it no longer says key is in ignition and nothing happens when i try to start i hear a click coming from under the dashboard almost sounds like it might be coming from the cluster but nothing happens.

If i open the door it shows me the current mileage on the truck.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The other day i was going down a bumpy road and the red light came on for the alarm. I pulled over and shut off, after this it would not start back up.

Lock and Unlock does not work on my fob.

I took key out and it was stating key was still in ignition when i opened the door.

I tried unplugging the battery for a couple hours this did not help.

Now it no longer says key is in ignition and nothing happens when i try to start i hear a click coming from under the dashboard almost sounds like it might be coming from the cluster but nothing happens.

If i open the door it shows me the current mileage on the truck.
When you turn the ignition key to the run position does the red SKIM warning lamp in the instrument cluster stay on constantly or does it turn on with the key and then turn off after a few seconds?

OP
OP
S

Seth N Resnickoff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just checked no light at all, nothing works when its in the on position. no radio no ac.

Door lock and unlock on the door work. While depress brake and trying to start i can hear a click in the dashboard, but no normal indicator lights or anything.

I was reading i could dismantle the ignition and spray with electric parts cleaner and spray with air and sometimes this will help if its the ignition but im not 100% sure it is, since i've had no issues with it.

I've had this truck for about 6 months now and this has happen 2 other times and both times i was able to unhook the negative terminal for 5 minutes and then reconnect. Not this time. I have tried everything i could think of.

Sometimes it will say lights on briefly, even though i have them in the off position.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
this may be your issue

This company does not try to fix the module, because they are afraid of being sued

The contacts get dirty
Just like in your vehicles FOB, the circuit board gets dirty

OP
OP
S

Seth N Resnickoff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Checked codes this morning as nothing appears to be working i have tried everything i could think of.

I am getting a code u0001 Control Area Network C Bus

Im not sure if this is because i unhooked the battery over night, I cleared codes i had some that stated my headlights and foglamps were open or high also.

I dont know what i should attempt next before paying for a tow to the dealership.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Open the TIPM and push down on all the fuses & relays, they have a habit of unseating.

OP
OP
S

Seth N Resnickoff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Open the TIPM and push down on all the fuses & relays, they have a habit of unseating.
I did this the first day and you are correct many were lifted. I also tried moving any fuses or relays of same amp rating or part number to see if the problem went away

OP
OP
S

Seth N Resnickoff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So I went back to my truck today with my son, and before we could even begin to troubleshoot it I tried to start it and it's working perfect again. I need to figure out what caused this and if it is something with the immobilizer.

OP
OP
S

Seth N Resnickoff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm lost it keeps getting worse, I ordered a new win module but I am not convinced that's the issue, now sometimes when I'm driving the immobilizer light comes on, I can go park somewhere and then it gets locked in park and guages act crazy until I shut it off then nothing unless I open door and then it says key is still in ignition till I disconnect the negative terminal and then it's just a waiting game till I can use the fobik to lock unlock then it runs perfect until it doesnt.

OP
OP
S

Seth N Resnickoff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ok update, since my last post i changed the win module (ignition) and the PCM it drove without issues for a week or so while it was cooler and 3 days ago it was hot and it once again tripped my immobilizer light while driving and i parked it shut it off and now nothing when i turn the key and i can not even read codes. I get slight acknowledgment from the TIPM when trying to read codes but nothing else. I am lost i have checked all my grounds, looked for wiring issues. I dont know what would send the whole system to sleep like this. I even tried the old ignition and old pcm since clearly those were not the problem. What could cause the whole system to go to sleep like this?

If i open my door i can see my mileage. If i turn the headlights on it will tell me they are on. But nothing else, i cant even hit lock and unlock on the doors nothing happens. Battery is fully charged, horn works. I can turn the hazards on.

Please anyone. I am so lost. I know its something with the Can Bus C because i check the codes regularly before it shut off again and frequently get U0001 but i can clear it.

Im not sure which module i should try next or anything else i could try. Or anyway to wake the system up.

When this occurred and i parked it. I tried starting no luck so i took the key out and it said key was in ignition when i opened door. These are new keys and new ignition.

I disconnected battery and now it doesnt say key in ignition or do anything.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963