2011 1500 545RFE stop jerk and bang

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
2011 RAM 1500 with 5 speed 545RFE tranny and 62K miles
about 2 weeks ago: coming stop sometimes jerk and bang when downshifting from 2 to 1, mostly when tranny is "cold" (+/- 70C)
while tranny in neutral will not jerk and bang
last 10 days: almost always while breaking slowly to stop jerk and bang, not only when tranny is "cold"
now: almost always while shifting first and second down or up will lead to jerk and bang
I added a bottle of Lucas Transmission Conditioner and jerk/bang got less noticable, but still there
CEL is not on
tranny oil is right level
only while shifting between frst and second gear

Will change filters and oil help or would it be just a waste of time and $$$

Any suggestions?

Chris

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Costo you have been around a while and you used lucas in there? Bob link. Now, it is near impossible to get all of that out of there. I'd do a DYI oil flush for sure, unless you have the dough for a rebuild. You should watch the 68rfe rebuild youtubes to prepare yourself. You should do the ram dyi flush to get new fluid and as much of that lucas as you can out of there. Not enough to just drop the pan. The difference between that flush and "our" fush is ours takes many more quarts, have like 14 on hand. Might want to email nick and price out some redline c+, or at least use at4.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Oil is at it's thickest when it is cold, likely why that happened. Now, trans fluid is 7 at operating temp, thinner then 5w20 oil, now you just added something viscosity 48 at operaing temp. You just thickened your transmsion fluid thicker then gear fluid, if you don't get that **** out of there that tranny is dust.

Watch the rebuild video's I'll try and get one, you will see why flow is so important, why all of the early transmsion fixes are valve bodies. You really don't want transmsion oil to be thick. Many many times replacing fluid can fix an issue, at 60k it is due, and you really didn't do anything wrong, but some people think the fluid in that specific transmsion should be changed more often.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

must watch tv, see what they say on fluids.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Some one correct me if I’m wrong, but I’ve read that the 545RFE requires a very specific fluid. If you put the wrong fluid in the 545RFE, it will “slow burn”.

My truck is at 45,000 miles right now. The transmission fluid will be replaced at 50,000 with exactly whatever it is that Dodge specifies.

I like Lucas products. But I won’t put it in my tranny.

pgr1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Costo you have been around a while and you used lucas in there? Bob link. Now, it is near impossible to get all of that out of there. I'd do a DYI oil flush for sure, unless you have the dough for a rebuild. You should watch the 68rfe rebuild youtubes to prepare yourself. You should do the ram dyi flush to get new fluid and as much of that lucas as you can out of there. Not enough to just drop the pan. The difference between that flush and "our" fush is ours takes many more quarts, have like 14 on hand. Might want to email nick and price out some redline c+, or at least use at4.

Is that Josh Peck in the video? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Sounds like the sensor pack needs replacing.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Do you mean solonoid?

OP
OP
CostaRam

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I got recommended to use Lucas Automatic Transmission Conditioner to give it a try.
Lucas advertise this as "for all trnsmission oils" so i suppose it is also for ATF4
"I added a bottle", i should have be more specific, i added a half quart / 20oz bottle, not a full fill
I think that Burla misuderstand what and how much i added

The difference between that flush and "our" fush is ours takes many more quarts, have like 14 on hand.

I flushed nothing, i just added 1 quart of Lucas Automatic Transmission Contitioner

You just thickened your transmsion fluid thicker then gear fluid
The Lucas Automatic Transmission Contitioner i added has the same or slightly thicker viscosity than ATF and as i put 20 oz or half quart i added 1/28th of slightly thicker oil

Some one correct me if I’m wrong, but I’ve read that the 545RFE requires a very specific fluid.
This transmission need ATF4+, Dealership said that they changed it when i bough car with 40k miles. If they did or not is unknown to me, i need to trust their statement.
AFAIK, the oil was nice red as i checked it when when i bought the car

However, i went to tranny shop and tokk the owner for a spin. As usual, tranny was behaving perfectly normal .... Probably because i drove the whole day ...

I think i will change oil and filters to see if this works, if not, then i wasted $$$ for the oil change.

Chris

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You are right I was wrong, I see they do have one that was a 12 cSt, close to twice as thick as tranny fluid, but not near as much as their other tranny additives. They have a few different ones. Good that you paid attention. I still would change the fluid over adding this stuff, but less risk with the product you used, thanks...

OP
OP
CostaRam

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yes, i will probably do tht just to exclude that i get my very low miles tranny repaired for nothing.
Thanks to all!
Chris