2011 1500 Multifunction Switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Droby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Recently, both my blinkers and wipers stopped working. I pulled off the road, turned the engine off, let it rest for 20 minutes and when I started my ride again, they worked and then quit. I had heard that the multi function switch regularly went bad so I bought the right part from Advanced.

Today I installed the part and the rain wiper came on and then shut off. No blinkers, no dimmer and no wipers.

Is there something else I should be doing?

Thanks a bunch

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Could be TIPM, did you run codes? Find out if all of those items come off the same relay.

OP
OP
D

Droby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am a novice at this and no nothing about "running the codes." Sorry. It is a weird thing. All things were working fine and then the blinkers and wipers stopped. I shut it down and 20 minutes later, started it back up and they worked. They failed again within a couple of minutes.
I read that the Mult function switch is a recognized problem and I was able to change that out. The rain sensor kicked in and the wipers went for a bit and then stopped again. No turn signals or dimmer.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
all vehicles have a female plug right around steering wheel usually lower then to the left and you plug a ob2 into that and any codes will be displayed. Some places I think autozone will do it for free, plus they do have cheap ob2 scanners for sale out there, mine was less then 30 bucks. TIPM is a fancy word for a fuse box, which are called relays in our trucks not fuses.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Normally fuses burn out and you replace them, relays as well, but in the case of the TIPM it is a solder joint in the box, you usually get random fails like this, why it is possible it is the issue. find out what all of these have in common, maybe two things a switch like you said, but maybe TIPM location as well, this I do not know.

YJjvjJ0PrCzfiMzXKsCUKS6kV8tHg=w1200-h630-p-k-no-nu.png

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Normally fuses burn out and you replace them, relays as well, but in the case of the TIPM it is a solder joint in the box, you usually get random fails like this, why it is possible it is the issue. find out what all of these have in common, maybe two things a switch like you said, but maybe TIPM location as well, this I do not know.

Just for clarification, are the relays within the TIPM socketed and easily replaced from the topside?
And the solder joints that you're referring to are on the backside of fuse & relay sockets?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yes, easy to replace relays, if it is a solder joint most people will have to replace TIPM, you can fix it but you need to the knowledge. However, I have seen diagram and perhaps they arent on same relay, which means scratch it all, lol. gotta verify 2011 ram TIPM diagram.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, easy to replace relays, if it is a solder joint most people will have to replace TIPM, you can fix it but you need to the knowledge. However, I have seen diagram and perhaps they arent on same relay, which means scratch it all, lol. gotta verify 2011 ram TIPM diagram.

Thanks for that info.
I'll be ready to fix my Ram's TIPM if it goes flakey in the next 10 or 15 years. :cool:

In the early 80s, I was an electronic assembler for a couple of years and then worked on troubleshooting and repairing a few complex devices after that.

Touching up the cold solder joints on a TIPM would be pretty simple if you know how to solder properly.

I've read online about doing soft & hard resets on the TIPM.
Do you know if people have much success resetting them when gremlins strike or if most just replace them?

Sorry for the hijack @Droby. Just seems to be a good place for these questions and more info for you too. :cool:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Thanks for that info.
I'll be ready to fix my Ram's TIPM if it goes flakey in the next 10 or 15 years. :cool:

In the early 80s, I was an electronic assembler for a couple of years and then worked on troubleshooting and repairing a few complex devices after that.

Touching up the cold solder joints on a TIPM would be pretty simple if you know how to solder properly.

I've read online about doing soft & hard resets on the TIPM.
Do you know if people have much success resetting them when gremlins strike or if most just replace them?

Sorry for the hijack @Droby. Just seems to be a good place for these questions and more info for you too. :cool:
No you can't reset a bad solder joint, but with your experience you can see the youtubes where guys actually fix their TIPM's. This dude is like top 5 on a lot of us ram forum's guys DYI leaders. BTW, this was a wiper repair. This is also why I say for this most guys replace the TIPM< this one isnt for everyone.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
LOL, I understand a cold solder joint is hardware & can't be reset. I've just read about trying a reset to potentially remedy erratic gremlin issues. I should have qualified that a bit more precisely. :cool:

So, what I should have asked is; Is the TIPM just a simple hardware interface between a wiring harness and fuse or relay sockets with zero brains?

Those that speak of resetting a simple hardware interface between a harness and sockets are likely dreaming.

Yes, I did watch a pro fix a TIPM on YouTube.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Droby
Just go to any major auto parts store chain & request that someone run a scan for trouble codes on your vehicle.

They will hook up their device to the vehicles OBD2 port & run a scan

Most times they can tell you almost exactly what is wrong
some codes that may show up, would vary
P0580 code
B1873 code
it may even be a U code
once you have the code(s), the code can be deciphered

https://www.yourmechanic.com/articl...feed-circuit-short-to-ground-by-brady-klopfer