2012 / 4.56 Gears / 6" Lift Lessons Learned

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

GoldenOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
well with all the **** on my truck i already have some serious anti aerodynamic stuff going on. + it weighs a ton so i only get 12-14 on the highway. So how much worse could it get :roflsquared:

Message_1449866349960.jpg

aka silver Sophie the gas guzzler

It would be 10-12 Hwy and about 8 in town... good thing that gas is $1.60 / gal here!!!

And, I like your truck! I used to have a Jeep and the roof rack and bumper remind me of my old one.

Grizzly_Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Fantastic write-up Golden. I have been researching re gearing my 2500 with 4.56's as I am already on a 6 inch lift with 37x13.5x18's45bcd247a7407e16eb8f49fede281d3e.jpg

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Fantastic write up Sir !

Got a a Question for anyone in the know ...
I have a 2014 4x4 QC 6 speed & 3.55 diffs.

Is the 12s & 14s the same ?
My basic Q. is would my cenario be the same as the OP ?

I Know I'll be changing the front diff housing , I'd also like to know if I'd be requiring the 3rd member modified bracket or not ?

Thanks !

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
somewhat off topic, but there is a company on intagram I see from FL, wicked customs I think, something close to that, who builds custom IFS lifts.

Not sure about the rams, but they sell "full drop brackets" for most of the IFS trucks. If they don't have one already, I'm sure they could make one.

So you could get 6, 7, 8, whatever size drop bracket you want. Unsure of cost though.

Jameson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So does the rear carrier still need to be machined or does that gear set from Motive fit like it should? I want to make sure I have everything together before I bring this project to the shop.

2009-2011 Front Differential
Front gear set with master install kit
Front Driveshaft for 2009-2011
Get with Procomp (or can I also run RCX even though I'm running a PC lift?) and get Driveshaft spacer and front diff drop brackets for 2009-2011 kit.
Rear Motive 4.56ZF gears with install kit
Can I reuse my stock carrier or should I get a Truetrac?
Front CV Shafts?

Thanks for the help. I can't wait to do this.

Jameson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Basically I need to have a front diff regeared from an 09-11. Swap it into my truck with the front driveshaft and spacer from 09-11. The. Have my brackets and the 09-11 brackets modified?

Then for the rear its just a 4.56ZF gear swap like normal?

Jameson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why does Motive website specifically state their 4.56 front gear set is compatible with 2011-2014 Ram 1500s?

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
This is so stupid.

Is ram the only truck with this issue?

Its the same thing for tuners too, nothing is as easy as it should be.

IMO

for once we agree on something lol

Its ridiculous. Its the reason I will most likely sell this truck next year and just get an f150. Because doing anything is a pain in the ass.

Even though I feel strongly that the ram is nicer in almost every way. Its super easy to slap a blower and lift on a f150 and get it tuned like anywhere.

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
for once we agree on something lol

Its ridiculous. Its the reason I will most likely sell this truck next year and just get an f150. Because doing anything is a pain in the ass.

Even though I feel strongly that the ram is nicer in almost every way. Its super easy to slap a blower and lift on a f150 and get it tuned like anywhere.

yeahhh honestly if i had expected everything to be so difficult i would have either gotten a jeep wrangler or a different brand truck. Even toyota would give you a factory warranted supercharger

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yea, but at least you have a nicer all around truck once done.

The tune from TRD is terrible, and again, almost zero aftermarket support. Changing the tire size and gears in the PCM on those is even worse than ram tuning.

GM cant build an auto transmission so good luck running big tires and/or added power there. No thanks... but the cheapest and widest variety of parts by far.

Ford.. Over priced, angles are almost always bad on lifted trucks, not even great on a stock f150. But overall, the 5.0 and trans are solid. Ecoboost is cool, but seems like a gamble.

Ram... nicest quality? but weak front end parts (normally fixed by lift) but other than the actual lift, everything else is a pain to mess with.

pick your poison I guesss...

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

The tune from TRD is terrible, and again, almost zero aftermarket support. Changing the tire size and gears in the PCM on those is even worse than ram tuning.

GM cant build an auto transmission so good luck running big tires and/or added power there. No thanks... but the cheapest and widest variety of parts by far.

Ford.. Over priced, angles are almost always bad on lifted trucks, not even great on a stock f150. But overall, the 5.0 and trans are solid. Ecoboost is cool, but seems like a gamble.

Ram... nicest quality? but weak front end parts (normally fixed by lift) but other than the actual lift, everything else is a pain to mess with.

true, but we cant say the 6 speed tranny is an award winner either

JRG18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Hwy trips were fine if you dont mind constant downshifting and horrible milage. I had it on 37s for 2 years before doing the gears.

Off road, in the snow, it did ok. In the Mud, as long as you can stay pretty wide open on the throttle, it was ok as well. It really only is sluggish in the lower rpm range. Having 37s with 3.55s isnt completely debilitating, just doesn't perform like it would stock.

This sounds exactly why i hated the F-150 I had. Could only stand it for 6 months before selling the truck. The tires were 35's.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
This is so stupid.

Is ram the only truck with this issue?

Its the same thing for tuners too, nothing is as easy as it should be.

IMO

Go buy a Toyota if that's what you want. Nobody's got a gun to your head (or do they??).

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Well said Sir .

I went through GM , CHEVY, TOYOTA & FORD when I was looking for my new Truck .
I could write a book on the disappointment with all of them , the Ram would have a chapter , but it did win out ... I was down to Ford and Ram , once I settled on choosing between just two brands the choice was clear , I bought the RAM 2014 QC 4X4 5.7 w/ 6 speed in 2013 .

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I suppose every type of car/brand has its own weakness that tortures the owners when it comes to modding. Not that i'm up to date on $200k+ cars but i'm sure they even have some limiting factors when you start modding them.

Wish i lived in the muscle car era where you could modify things however you wanted and not have to worry about it.