2012 and up ram 1500 passenger side intermediate shafts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
By the way love your build and XJ too. I'm sure everybody got great insight to your trial and error on your build including me.

I had a lifted WJ and loved that thing and was amazing for camping and getting through the backwoods terrain.
Thanks for the kind words. I like to share my ideas and experiences both good and bad for others to see. We'll never really know how things will go without someone willing to try, otherwise we're stuck with vanilla, and that's no fun. Yota and jeep guys get all the fun parts with options galore.

I love that stupid jeep. If it had a.c. and I fixed the clapped out axle shafts I would surely drive it more. I really want an older blazer/bronco or a muscle car to work on, but without proper storage and work space the jeep fits the bill for a fun vehicle. I am trying to leave the ram alone and just use it for its intended purpose of reliable comfortable daily driving.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Is there axial movement of the splined connection between pass side CV shaft and intermediate shaft when the front suspension moves?

I'm just trying to grasp how this connection wallows out, gets dirt in it over time, etc.

If the only movement it does is rotate, how is it much different than the spines between the CV shaft and wheel hub? Worst those do is corrode together. I get it that they're not quite as exposed to the elements, but they still are exposed.

I wonder if you could find some small split style boot to put over the intermediate joint.

So there is a minor amount of axial movement, though it's a non issue under stock constraints. It's so miniscule I'd say it's more tolerances thsn movement. But, add in corrosion and abrasive intrusion that quickly erode the circlip and the problem begins since that allows the shaft to move freely on the splines which exacerbates the situation. Toss in a spacer lift like my truck came with and it allows over extension and alot leverage applied to the intermediate shafts. I believe that was the larger culprit as my neighbor has a 2016 with almost 100k but is all stock and he has the same amount of movement as my freshly rebuilt unit.

So a full combo of things, mostly the spacer lift in my opinion. Bilstein and similar style kits don't extend strut length overall, so you never move components past their intended range of motion. Once the circlip fails, it's game over when the cv is free to kinda walk around on those splines. My were shark finned so bad they were razor sharp and almost to the point of non existence.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So there is a minor amount of axial movement, though it's a non issue under stock constraints. It's so miniscule I'd say it's more tolerances thsn movement. But, add in corrosion and abrasive intrusion that quickly erode the circlip and the problem begins since that allows the shaft to move freely on the splines which exacerbates the situation. Toss in a spacer lift like my truck came with and it allows over extension and alot leverage applied to the intermediate shafts. I believe that was the larger culprit as my neighbor has a 2016 with almost 100k but is all stock and he has the same amount of movement as my freshly rebuilt unit.

So a full combo of things, mostly the spacer lift in my opinion. Bilstein and similar style kits don't extend strut length overall, so you never move components past their intended range of motion. Once the circlip fails, it's game over when the cv is free to kinda walk around on those splines. My were shark finned so bad they were razor sharp and almost to the point of non existence.

So it sounds like Bilsteins at 2.8" won't exacerbate the wear on this like spacers will? At 2.8 my 2013s CV axles are always at an angle but it's not extreme. I have 0 vibrations at highway speeds in 4wd.

Last edited:

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
So it sounds like Bilsteins at 2.8" won't exacerbated the wear on this like spacers will? At 2.8 my 2013s CV axles are always at an angle but it's not extreme. I have 0 vibrations at highway speeds in 4wd.
It shouldn't. Bilsteins don't change travel like spacers do. Spacers push everything down, where as bilsteins just adjust ride height with the clips on the shocks. You lose 2.8" of shock down travel in exchange for the 2.8" of lift you gain. This is within the normal range of design for the front geometry.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
For the first time in some years of 4th gen Ram 1500 ownership and thanks to this thread I took a look at this area between the front right CV shaft and carrier on my new to me 2019 classic.

My OCD self grabbed some synthetic marine grease I had on hand and coated some around the circumference of the metal dust shield on the carrier end and on the joint between the CV shaft and intermediate shaft.

I have no idea if this will do anything but attract dirt, but it's going to just keep corroding and attracting dirt as is anyway. LOL. Who knows. The next owner maybe will appreciate my efforts.

smithwessn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
At what kind of mileage are you guys seeing problems with this?

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
At what kind of mileage are you guys seeing problems with this?
My truck had 125k hard miles on it. It spent most of its former life offroad with a tree service company as a foreman truck. It also had a very big leveling spacer in the front which i think accelerated this

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
For the first time in some years of 4th gen Ram 1500 ownership and thanks to this thread I took a look at this area between the front right CV shaft and carrier on my new to me 2019 classic.

My OCD self grabbed some synthetic marine grease I had on hand and coated some around the circumference of the metal dust shield on the carrier end and on the joint between the CV shaft and intermediate shaft.

I have no idea if this will do anything but attract dirt, but it's going to just keep corroding and attracting dirt as is anyway. LOL. Who knows. The next owner maybe will appreciate my efforts.
It can't hurt to get something in there. I will say, most will likely spin off from the centrifugal force at high speed. I know the differential gets quite warm, so maybe after a drive one day get under there and lay some more grease on it and it might seep into the splines as it gets hot and thin.

Either way I still think anything is better than nothing and the grease that does work it's way in will surely prevent some grit and grime intrusion. Water will find it's way anywhere, but it's the bigger abrasives that accelerate it

smithwessn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My truck had 125k hard miles on it. It spent most of its former life offroad with a tree service company as a foreman truck. It also had a very big leveling spacer in the front which i think accelerated this

I installed 2" level spacers right after I bought the truck new but I have a long way to go before I get to that mileage.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This thread just saved me big time ! **** I love this forum

Anyone knows of a video or instructions for these ?

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
This thread just saved me big time ! **** I love this forum

Anyone knows of a video or instructions for these ?
Tagged you in my build thread. Video of this kit/rebuild is what I tagged you in.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2013 with 66k on it, think it's worth pulling the passenger CV off and checking/greasing the splines?

It's too bad these front axles aren't like the Chevy ones that have the CV bolt onto the axle instead of just a circlip and splines......

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just pulled mine out today. Heres what it looks like. I know these Rams have a bit of play in the shaft joints but this seems excessive. Will change out the 2 Axles and The Intermediate shaft. I think im still good for a few years on the other side for now. Maybee someone with more experience with these can let me know if those splines still look good ? Or do I need to drop 500$ and rebuilt it now ?

117703257_10158855860423552_7789868364984386_o.jpg

118085141_10158855859658552_1009515633150626455_o.jpg

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Just pulled mine out today. Heres what it looks like. I know these Rams have a bit of play in the shaft joints but this seems excessive. Will change out the 2 Axles and The Intermediate shaft. I think im still good for a few years on the other side for now. Maybee someone with more experience with these can let me know if those splines still look good ? Or do I need to drop 500$ and rebuilt it now ?

117703257_10158855860423552_7789868364984386_o.jpg

118085141_10158855859658552_1009515633150626455_o.jpg

Unfortunately yours is worse than mine was with the play in the passenger shaft. I tried to get by with just a new cv, but it was back to **** after about 2 weeks. Call up the company and they can get you situated pretty easy. You did all the hard work already, the rebuild is literally a 1/2 hr job. Just get some quality snap ring pliers. I wouldn't procrastinate or reinstall that as is. That's pretty wiped out

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unfortunately yours is worse than mine was with the play in the passenger shaft. I tried to get by with just a new cv, but it was back to **** after about 2 weeks. Call up the company and they can get you situated pretty easy. You did all the hard work already, the rebuild is literally a 1/2 hr job. Just get some quality snap ring pliers. I wouldn't procrastinate or reinstall that as is. That's pretty wiped out

I just ordered new CV axles and the output shaft. I guess my truck will be 2 wheel drive until next payday so I can save up another 500 for the shaft kit.... WTF were those ********* at dodge thinking building the shaft that way.

brad_12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just ordered new CV axles and the output shaft. I guess my truck will be 2 wheel drive until next payday so I can save up another 500 for the shaft kit.... WTF were those ********* at dodge thinking building the shaft that way.

I agree! Just insane!