2012 and up ram 1500 passenger side intermediate shafts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brad_12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes it's coming from Canada, but I just copied and pasted the title in US ebay and it shows it converted to US dollars at checkout and you order as normal.

Looks like a great kit and easy install.

Last edited:

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Yes it's coming from Canada, but I just copied and pasted the title in US ebay and it shows it converted to US dollars at checkout and you order as normal.

Looks like a great kit and easy install.
Any chance you did this install. I NEED THIS

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

brad_12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did not order it yet because I put a new circlip and rubber seal on and slid the cv back on to where it's tight so I'm at least good to drive, but I know the splines are worn some on both the shaft and cv so I do plan on getting both when I have enough money.

I'm thinking I have excess play though because of it banging around loose so I have some resonance that I can feel in the floor and hear.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I did not order it yet because I put a new circlip and rubber seal on and slid the cv back on to where it's tight so I'm at least good to drive, but I know the splines are worn some on both the shaft and cv so I do plan on getting both when I have enough money.

I'm thinking I have excess play though because of it banging around loose so I have some resonance that I can feel in the floor and hear.

I ended up doing this kit and its 100% worth it. All the resonance I felt through the floor is gone and its as smooth as I can expect the truck to run with crap tires.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ended up doing this kit and its 100% worth it. All the resonance I felt through the floor is gone and its as smooth as I can expect the truck to run with crap tires.
You got the kit from eBay or Facebook?

brad_12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Damn that's awesome now I want it even more.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
You got the kit from eBay or Facebook?
Directly from the company that makes the kit actually. Followed the eBay link and it was sold out, went on FB after I found the company name and used that to get their direct website and called them direct. Awesome company.
http://rickroodstransmission.com/

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

brad_12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I kept looking more and more at the pictures too and with those boots that cover the end and keep debris out in turn being they're so tight will also somewhat stabilize the whole cv at that end.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Damn that's awesome now I want it even more.
I attached the link for their website directly. They were awesome to deal with. The owner will explain everything in much detail and I can surely help with any questions as well

Reactions: JB1

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Looks like it should be about $415 US including shipping?
I wanna say yes. Id have to check my statement but it was about $400 shipped and got to my house in NJ quick. Add in the new CVs @$90 each and the drivers intermediate shaft for $150 and you're set.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I kept looking more and more at the pictures too and with those boots that cover the end and keep debris out in turn being they're so tight will also somewhat stabilize the whole cv at that end.
The boots are pretty slick. If you check my build thread out I have some pictures not far up. Ill tag you.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I didn't know this was a thing with all 4th gen 4x4 front ends. Never heard of anyone with this problem. Luck I guess!

Is there anything we can do PM wise to keep those splines from wearing?

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I didn't know this was a thing with all 4th gen 4x4 front ends. Never heard of anyone with this problem. Luck I guess!

Is there anything we can do PM wise to keep those splines from wearing?
Aside from the boots to keep corrosion and abrasives out, you can try to pull the cv shafts and get grease on the splines. That would be your 2nd best way to mitigate this before it becomes a full issue. Beware, the cv seems to like to seize to the shafts pretty good. In my case anyways. So I rendered the cv shafts junk when I pulled them off from all the beating. If that happens it's likely the drivers side stub shaft will come out still attached to the CV. I didn't attempt to soak them in penetrating oil prior to disassembly so that could possibly help. But unfortunately it can snowball very quickly. At the minimum I would have both cv replacements as well as the driver side stub shaft on hand to be safe. Best case you can return them if it comes apart. But I would much rather forewarn you of the aggravation before you spend all day tracking down parts in stock or else your rendered truck less.

Side note, I live in NJ and my truck spent most of its life as a tree service vehicle offroad and in the rust belt so I do believe that accelerated this issue, but it is a poor design that will eventually fail, just a matter of when.

brad_12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Aside from the boots to keep corrosion and abrasives out, you can try to pull the cv shafts and get grease on the splines. That would be your 2nd best way to mitigate this before it becomes a full issue. Beware, the cv seems to like to seize to the shafts pretty good. In my case anyways. So I rendered the cv shafts junk when I pulled them off from all the beating. If that happens it's likely the drivers side stub shaft will come out still attached to the CV. I didn't attempt to soak them in penetrating oil prior to disassembly so that could possibly help. But unfortunately it can snowball very quickly. At the minimum I would have both cv replacements as well as the driver side stub shaft on hand to be safe. Best case you can return them if it comes apart. But I would much rather forewarn you of the aggravation before you spend all day tracking down parts in stock or else your rendered truck less.

Side note, I live in NJ and my truck spent most of its life as a tree service vehicle offroad and in the rust belt so I do believe that accelerated this issue, but it is a poor design that will eventually fail, just a matter of when.

I live in Wisconsin and agree with everything you said. I would also add those circlips that are the only thing holding them on get beat on from the intrusion of even just plain debris. The passenger side is the worst because of the huge space between the cv and diff side seal.

brad_12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
By the way love your build and XJ too. I'm sure everybody got great insight to your trial and error on your build including me.

I had a lifted WJ and loved that thing and was amazing for camping and getting through the backwoods terrain.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Is there axial movement of the splined connection between pass side CV shaft and intermediate shaft when the front suspension moves?

I'm just trying to grasp how this connection wallows out, gets dirt in it over time, etc.

If the only movement it does is rotate, how is it much different than the spines between the CV shaft and wheel hub? Worst those do is corrode together. I get it that they're not quite as exposed to the elements, but they still are exposed.

I wonder if you could find some small split style boot to put over the intermediate joint.