2012 K&N Cabin Air Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mboymopar

MOPAR
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Sport
Engine
345 HEMI
I have been trying to find a K&N cabin air filter.
Even went to K&N, they said no dice for a 2012.

Anyone with a 2012 that can help.

KA1OTE

Ram Ham
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
This is the one I purchased and have been using in my 2012 for four years.
Fits perfectly. Works perfectly.

Be sure to toss this recharge kit into your cart while you're at it.
Great kit. I don't do much off-roading so my filter doesn't need to be recharged very often.. I average about two recharges per year. I purchased my kit four years ago and I still have enough for two or three more applications.

Hope this helps!

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have the same one in my 2014...it works great.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
mboymopar

mboymopar

MOPAR
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Sport
Engine
345 HEMI
This is the one I purchased and have been using in my 2012 for four years.
Fits perfectly. Works perfectly.

Be sure to toss this recharge kit into your cart while you're at it.
Great kit. I don't do much off-roading so my filter doesn't need to be recharged very often.. I average about two recharges per year. I purchased my kit four years ago and I still have enough for two or three more applications.

Hope this helps!

That's what I was looking for thanks for info.
I knew there was one for it, just took a peep to help me.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
OP
OP
mboymopar

mboymopar

MOPAR
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Sport
Engine
345 HEMI

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I was in the local dealership for warranty repairs of a fender flare a couple weeks ago when the Service Advisor walked in to explain to a guy sitting next to me that he needed the cabin air filter replaced...I don't recall the exact amount but it was in the $60 to $90 range. The Charger owner said he would shop around and the Advisor looked a little upset - like he knew he just overshot how much he could screw the customer. After he walked out I showed the owner the same link on Amazon...he ordered three of them on his iPhone and was tickled...and the dealer totally lost a sale. Morons when it comes to business...

OP
OP
mboymopar

mboymopar

MOPAR
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Sport
Engine
345 HEMI
Looks like I am going to have to do the grind the tab thing, so I can put one in.

KA1OTE

Ram Ham
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
Can this filter be used dry?

Yes, it's a dry filter. No oil unless you wanted to add a fragrance of some kind to it...

Common misconception: the kit doesn't add any fragrance.
The kit is used to recharge the filter. Here's the description directly from the manufacturer:
"K&N's Refresher kit loosens dirt and road grime from your K&N cabin air filter and helps remove trapped mold, mildew, fungus, allergens, bacteria and other debris from it. K&N's cabin air filter refresher increases the electrostatic properties of the cabin air filter helping it to trap contaminants. This long lasting formula helps eliminate the source of most odors and it is made from safe, biodegradable ingredients."

No one who gets in my truck can tell that I have a cabin air filter as there is no scent from it. The kit aids in reducing outside scents and odors from coming into the cab.

Case in point: I visit my parents in Cheyenne, WY frequently. Cheyenne has a refinery located right along I-80 and it stinks to high heaven. On my first visit after installing the K&N filter, I couldn't smell the refinery AT ALL (running with all windows closed) and I knew K&N had scored themselves as lifetime customer as that refinery was the ultimate test to see if the filter truly performed as well as it claims. It did.
For comparison: Since doing the cabin air filter mod in my Ram, I had been running with this Purolator filter. It had a very slight Febreeze-type scent to it and it failed to filter out the Cheyenne refinery. That filter was a one-time use product that I had to replace approx two times per year.

I did some digging and found the K&N that not only is rechargeable (less waste) but it also performs a heck of a lot better at its main job. A win-win in my book!

I highly recommend the K&N setup. It a little pricey at the start, but not having to constantly replace the filter itself makes up the difference in about a year (depending on how often you tend to dirty a single use filter). And the recharge cleaning kit lasts a couple of years (again, depending on your driving conditions and how often you need to use it to clean the filter).

Overall, the K&N setup is the best I've found.

OP
OP
mboymopar

mboymopar

MOPAR
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Sport
Engine
345 HEMI
Grind the tab?

If they have never had a cabin filter in them, there's a cover molded over the opening.
You have to either use a drumel or a blade to get the end off.
Then the filter will go in.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
1. KA1OTE - Please don't get me wrong as I'm not slamming the K&N cabin air filter as I will purchase three in the near future as I need them for the 2016, 2017 and 2018 trucks but am waiting for a group buy or a heck of a deal on Amazon or eBay. I simply posted a lesser expensive temporary alternative for those of us a little short on cash after Christmas.

2. mboymopar - I've found using a small pair of needle nose Channel Locks, an H-64B razor blade and a Bernzomatic butane torch to keep the razor blade red hot works well for cutting out the molded cover. I had to do it on my 2016 Ram and it sliced through the plastic like butter. Place blade in Channel Locks and lock it down tight. Bend blade with a pair of pliers to a 90 degree angle as this makes it easier to slice in the small space. Heat blade to red hot with torch (which needs to be done five or six times depending upon how cold the blade gets when cutting) and start cutting along the line.

OP
OP
mboymopar

mboymopar

MOPAR
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Sport
Engine
345 HEMI
1. KA1OTE - Please don't get me wrong as I'm not slamming the K&N cabin air filter as I will purchase three in the near future as I need them for the 2016, 2017 and 2018 trucks but am waiting for a group buy or a heck of a deal on Amazon or eBay. I simply posted a lesser expensive temporary alternative for those of us a little short on cash after Christmas.

2. mboymopar - I've found using a small pair of needle nose Channel Locks, an H-64B razor blade and a Bernzomatic butane torch to keep the razor blade red hot works well for cutting out the molded cover. I had to do it on my 2016 Ram and it sliced through the plastic like butter. Place blade in Channel Locks and lock it down tight. Bend blade with a pair of pliers to a 90 degree angle as this makes it easier to slice in the small space. Heat blade to red hot with torch (which needs to be done five or six times depending upon how cold the blade gets when cutting) and start cutting along the line.

Thanks for the tip on getting the cover off.

KA1OTE

Ram Ham
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie CC
Engine

It's all good. Between us, we have given the OP different options which is what the forum is for. Coming together to help each other out with finding and discussing products and pinning down the best price and a good deal.

And I really wish I had known that trick when I did this mod way back when. I was successful, obviously, but I was not without a few hand cramps and wore two Band-Aids for a few days (if you are left-handed this mod is so much easier).

Last edited:

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did the cabin filter mod on my 16, bought the k&n filter kit and recharge kit as a package off amazon. I went to clean it, turns out the kit they sent was for an air filter. Chucked the k&n and got a disposable cabin filter from Walmart for the 17-18 rams, fit much better and and had more surface area since the k&n has thick gaskets around it. A happy, accident.

William Hastings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My main question was answered by KA1OTE, the k&n refresher kit doesnt add a deodorizer, thanks for the info. Just installed my k&n, found it on Amazon used but like new for $23. I ordered the refresher kit, figuring it would need to be refreshed. The box was beat up, but the filter was still sealed in the plastic. If it was used, it doesnt have a spec of dust on it. If your looking for a kn keep your eyes out for used ones on Amazon. By the way, i didnt think it was hard to install but it was definitely more of a PIA than any other vehicle ive had, off to the side and that damn wire harness in front u gotta push out of the way. Not to mention the ******** string to hook/unhook.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just installed a k&n in my 2016, door was already there just no filter. Went real easy, even just left the door hanging by the string!
We dont need to charge them when new right?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
corumba