2012 Ram 1500 - 65RFE to 8HP70 Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Edward Tamasi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did not - but I did tell him I wanted a dial shifter, and he added the correct plug for the dial shifter. I think if you don't specify, it comes 'standard' with the floor mounted lever shifter.
Where did you locate the shifter dial?

Spree

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do like that Challenger shifter, nice job!

OP
OP
E

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where did you locate the shifter dial?
I had it in the console - but I then switched to a Challenger shifter. The link below are pictures of the dial shifter installed in the console.

Ryan Plawucki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Buncha great info guys. Few years ago i swapped a 46rh with diesel trans guts into my 2012 r/t with the cope racing full manual valve body and a edge 2800 stall converter. What a mistake. Wish this info was available then. Trucks fast in a straight line but not that much fun messing around on the street with only 4 gears. But after 3 65rfe rebuilds im just happy to have a reliable transmission. But now im wanting to swap the 8 speed and go back to enjoying the drivability. I have a question tho. I also have a jay green cam and tuning in the truck via a diablo t1000. I removed all my factory 65rfe wiring that went to the factory trans and just grounded out what i needed to, to make the truck think it was in park. So it would start and drive. Would it be as simple for me to just install the trans and the electronic shifter with the few inputs mentioned and just leave the tuning as i have now? No need to touch that side kinda deal. What did you guys do with the factory rfe plugs? Just leave them open or did you need them still. My understanding is that you dont need to ground out the harness as i did with hp tuners? Sure appreciate your help in advance. Seems like a painless and relatively low cost swap. Much cheaper then what i got into this friken 46rh swap.

OP
OP
E

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The RFE plugs are left open. One day, perhaps, I will remove all the RFE wiring, but until then, the plugs are just ziptied up above the 8HP70 transmission.

Ryan Plawucki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for that info emjohn4. I cut open my harness and de pinned it. Then i taped it up with oe matching tape. Looks nice and factory

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Replying to this.

I have a 8HP70 behind my 2013 4.7 at the moment. Nothing else has been done to it like wiring or mounts as i’m still waiting for those to come in, not even the cooler lines are tapped yet.

Regarding the wiring, is the additional wiring for the pre-8 speed trucks required for the 2013+ models that had it as an option? I haven’t bought Russels kit yet and i’m wondering if i’m going to have to wire it in like how you’d have to on let’s say an early 4th gen or if it’s just less wires? (i know i’m butchering explaining this, bare with me.) Is it required to tap into brakes, etc, with a 13+ using his kit? Or is it simply just plugging one end into the PCM, the other to the tranny, and one to the shifter to get everything to work?

ETXhemiram903

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Are any of you swappers using the Diablo T1000 tuner with Jay Greene tunes. I spoke with RD at SGA and if I send him my ECU he will flash it. I am just worried my tunes may not work. I really do not want to have to purchase an HP tuner.
Did you ever get an answer on this? I'm in the same boat curious to know if you figured it out. Thanks!

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You need HP tuner to do the swap. You can pull your old tunes with HP save them as well.