2012 Ram Excessive Oil Consumption

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
E

Elo76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hope you got the PCV sorted. Bad crankcase ventilation will definitely cause oil burning. And direction of the valve matters.

One thing I always do to assess an older engine is open the oil fill cap running at idle to see if there is positive (blow by from rings) or static / negative pressure (working PCV). It’s not 100% on oil ring function but it is a fast quick and dirty assessment of compression ring health. It wouldn’t be surprising in an engine using the maximum oil change interval and cheap oil to have some sticky rings.

PS you can get a face full of oil of there’s a lot of crankcase pressure. A rag over it is good insurance.
PCV is new and I wasn't sure how it was originally installed but the hole is now pointed backwards. If the PCV was bad wouldn't all my plugs have showed some oil instead of just cylinder 5 and 6?

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Source for this claim?
I’m not your internet fact checker, feel free to reverse yours and tell the world I’m wrong.

There’s an inlet and an outlet. Lacking any pictures or clarification take it up with the OP, he’s the one who raised the question whether it’s reversed.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I’m not your internet fact checker, feel free to reverse yours and tell the world I’m wrong.
I've looked through my Chiltons and Haynes manuals,my 700 page manual for the truck,nothing says anything about which way to face the hole in the PCV,can't find anything on the net either with a quick search,then went and checked my 3 FCA products,2 are facing towards the front,one is facing towards the rear. One of the ones facing towards the front is my wifes low milege 1320 Challenger,that has never had the PCV pulled,so i'm guessing it was installed that way from the factory
So i'd like to see what you can find,that says which way the PCV should face

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7

There’s an inlet and an outlet. Lacking any pictures or clarification take it up with the OP, he’s the one who raised the question whether it’s reversed.
Here ya go, a thread with multiple PCV valves facing both directions and all working fine. You're misinformed.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hope you got the PCV sorted. Bad crankcase ventilation will definitely cause oil burning. And direction of the valve matters.

One thing I always do to assess an older engine is open the oil fill cap running at idle to see if there is positive (blow by from rings) or static / negative pressure (working PCV). It’s not 100% on oil ring function but it is a fast quick and dirty assessment of compression ring health. It wouldn’t be surprising in an engine using the maximum oil change interval and cheap oil to have some sticky rings.

PS you can get a face full of oil of there’s a lot of crankcase pressure. A rag over it is good insurance.
I pull the oil dipstick with the engine running.... and put a vacuum gauge on it. If I see about 2 inches of vacuum. Good 'nuff!

skbball06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Classic Quad Cab Bighorn
Engine
3.6 V6 Etorque
Helllo all,

My wife's 2012 Ram with approx 90k miles is consuming about 1qt every 500 miles. There is no smoke coming out of the exhaust but there is definitely black soot in the tips. At first I was leaning towards the valve seals, but now I am not sure. The dealer use to maintain this for here before we got married so I am not sure when this issue started. I have been keeping an eye one it and keeping the oil topped off. I changed it over to M1 5w-20 HM and it still loses 1qt every 500 miles.

Yesterday I started pulling plugs and looked into the TB. The first two plugs I pulled looked normal. I know it's hard to see but there is a light coat of oil in the TB.

I did pull the PCV and it does rattle. After doing some research, I'm wondering if it was installed backwards with the hole facing the tube. Not sure if this would cause this much consumption or not.

I do plan on pulling the rest of the plugs (I was only pulling one per cylinder) to see if there is any signs of oil. Here is a pic of one of the plugs and the TB.

Any suggestions on what do check?

View attachment 512199View attachment 512200piston rings could be sticking from carbon build causing oil consumption, compression issues. Run BG EPR to clean up the rings and will bring the funcionality back restoring compression. BG RF7 or in with new oil. Since im on it anyway might well hit the trifecta with BG combustion chamber and intake cleaner service or at the very least 44K in the fuel tank. Options !