2013 Ram Big Horn Hemi exhaust smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dss56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all

I have a 2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn with the Hemi. 90k mikes and bought used 2 years ago. I have put 3k miles on this in the 2 years I have owned it. Correct 3k miles dont use much.

Problem is the exhaust smell. I dont recall it ever smelling so bad like real rich.
If I auto start the truck let warm up and then go out to truck its filled with the smell of the rich burning exhaust.

Is there a way to correct this. would new plugs help with the smell.

Truck idles great good on gas no problems just the smell in side the cab, and if you go to the back pipes you can smell the rich burning fumes.

Anything that might cause this?

thanks

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Has to be exhaust unless you blew a gasket from a bad pcv, most of the time this could be valve cover. Take it to an exhaust shop if you cant find it. Put a Carbon Monoxide detector in the cab as well. Now you have a cover I see, many times you could be getting fumes from the back, next time it smells check how bad it is under the cover. I cant see great from your pic, you have a camper shell? Crack the hood next time you start it, but not open, when you go out then open it, see how bad it is from engine bay. Does it smell like exhaust or unburned fuel, change the oil and see if you get bad gas smell.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dss56

dss56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cover meaning a Cap

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hi all

I have a 2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn with the Hemi. 90k mikes and bought used 2 years ago. I have put 3k miles on this in the 2 years I have owned it. Correct 3k miles dont use much.

Problem is the exhaust smell. I dont recall it ever smelling so bad like real rich.
If I auto start the truck let warm up and then go out to truck its filled with the smell of the rich burning exhaust.

Is there a way to correct this. would new plugs help with the smell.

Truck idles great good on gas no problems just the smell in side the cab, and if you go to the back pipes you can smell the rich burning fumes.

Anything that might cause this?

thanks

You say you bought it used,would it by chance have a set of headers ,and have had the cataylic convertors removed before you purchased it.

OP
OP
dss56

dss56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No headers all stock. Just had the manifold studs fixed about 5 months ago. It just smells so bad like I said here in Boston its cold and I auto start the truck and when you go out to truck it smells in side Im sure the heater is sucking in the fumes. When it gets warmer here im going to change the plugs and see what happens.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If your theory is it is the plugs, there is a easier way to check that, and it is in the oil, as if there is unburnt fuel, that is where it goes. But, plugs are likely due anyhow.

OP
OP
dss56

dss56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi.

Not saying its the plugs but thought I would start there truck runs good >good gas mileage. Smooth idle
just the exhaust smelling rich.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Is this happening in a closed garage or outdoors?
Makes a difference.

OP
OP
dss56

dss56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Out doors in my back yard is where I park the truck and when I auto start it. Its sits for about 10 minutes when auto start to warm up.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If I bought a 90k mile truck, I'd be putting plugs on as well, along with new pcv, and clean air in (filter, throttle body, check air intake system for oil). I'd also do a sea foam BEFORE you do those plugs, and I'd do it through the vac lines. Really cleans the combustion chamber and if you foul a plug, no big deal cause you have new plugs ready to go.

But the chance of all that fixing this is likely low, I'd still find the reason why this is happening.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ok. I'd change the plugs and toss a can of Seafoam in a full tank. 10 min warm-up is a lot, the Hemi doesn't like long idling, bad for the lifters.
Might want a new cabin air filter too.

OP
OP
dss56

dss56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will do all this when it gets warm here in Boston been real cold here 23 degrees out today maybe in later march another 4-5 week i will do some of the work, check the pcv air cleaner and check vacuum hoses. Then the plugs.

OP
OP
dss56

dss56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok. I'd change the plugs and toss a can of Seafoam in a full tank. 10 min warm-up is a lot, the Hemi doesn't like long idling, bad for the lifters.
Might want a new cabin air filter too.
I like a warm truck to go out in when it in the teens and low 20s here in Boston. LOL

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Before considering sea foam through gas tank or through vac lines, look at the boroscopes on youtube. Cleaners through gas tank are nowhere near as effective as through vac lines. When through vac line it puts 100% concentration right on the piston top, through the vac lines it is a solvent diluted in another solvent (gas) and you can see the boroscopes out there, it just isn't as effective. I don't post chris fix because I am a fan boy, I posted because he is thorough enough to post boroscopes, it is good stuff.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Really want to clean it have a second can and when you do plugs let each piston soak in it before starting like an hour or better. Change oil after the plug change.

OP
OP
dss56

dss56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks all for the suggestions I will do most of this when the weather gets better here in Boston. Been too cold and been snowing last few days and more this Friday and then Sunday.

thanks again to all

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Thanks all for the suggestions I will do most of this when the weather gets better here in Boston. Been too cold and been snowing last few days and more this Friday and then Sunday.

thanks again to all
Exhaust fumes still strong at tailpipes after engine has ran several miles & warmed up?
Happens in the summer also?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01