20136.7L cummins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lockm2011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
I was thinking about getting a new 13 cummins but have heard good and bad things about the DEF.. mostly bad like if not treated correctly can ashe up the dpf or in other words make a costly repair...
also I have heard worse gas mileage and less power... can anyone squash these rumors for me or tell me if they're true? maybe give me some insight on the DEF?

Rock$tar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Think you got it backwards there.

On the 13, your milage will be better with the DEF, the power is rated about the same.

The old system, the truck had to be driven fairly hard for certain periods of time, or the would plug up from not being able to regen (idling around and stop and go traffic does not favor a diesel). This is solved on the new ones by using DEF instead.

Wandell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I agree. The DEF system is a proven design. Everyone else has been running it for a while. Dodge has too, but only on the chasis cab trucks.

bitNine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Hopefully this helps. I posted it in another thread.

Just wanted to set the record straight here about the Cummins DEF system. DEF doesn't have any effect on the DPF because DEF is injected post-DPF, and DEF has nothing to do with particulate reduction. It only helps to convert harmful gases into harmless nitrogen (N2) and water (H2O). The DPF still catches particles, and the system will still go into regen. The manual says that you need to drive at freeway speeds for 45 minutes to clear out the filter.

Here's a video on how the Cummins SCR system works. It's a 2010 video, because this system was first implemented on 2011 model year Ram chassis cab trucks. 2010 Cummins Aftertreatment System Animation - YouTube

If you'd like to learn more about DEF itself and the chemical process that happens when DEF is injected into the exhaust, check out this PDF: http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/pdfs/product_lit/americas_brochures/MB10033.pdf

I'm about a month away from receiving my new truck, and I've been doing a lot of research on this DEF system over the past 8 months to determine if it was better or worse to go with a 2013 or a 2012. The claim is that the 2013 trucks should get better fuel mileage, but we'll see how that goes. The additional cost of DEF is minimal. It's used at a 50:1 diesel to DEF ratio. This means that for every 50 gallons of diesel fuel used, the system uses roughly one gallon of DEF. If Diesel is $3.60 (today's price at my station around the corner), that means if you were to spend $180 on diesel, you'll now spend $182.79. My closest truck stop with DEF sells it for $2.79/gallon. Overall cost of operation increases by 1.5%. Equivalent to a 4 cent increase in the cost of diesel from $3.60/gallon.

While some like to consider this a "liberal" system, and indeed since it's a "save the earth" hippie thing, that's somewhat true. But if you've ever been to a country where diesel is heavily subsidized, and over half the vehicles are spewing black smoke in your face as they drive by, these are systems that may not make your butt-dyno happy, but they will reduce overall emissions, and give diesels a better image overall, and give us cleaner local air, even if the planet itself is already fūcked. The claim is that with this system, the engine has near-zero emissions. Lower than many of today's gasoline engines. As for repair costs, only the future will tell. I think the ultimate question is whether or not the DEF system is part of the powertrain warranty.

I learned some additional information about why the trucks with the DEF system should get better mileage. Apparently EGR is the major cause for the excessive amounts of soot that end up being caught by the DPF, causing regeneration, resulting in excessive fuel use. When SCR is added to the system, EGR is programmed to be used less often, causing less soot to be generated. EGR isn't as necessary because she SCR system does the job of removing the harmful gasses. This keeps the DPF from becoming clogged as often, resulting in less regeneration, and thus less excess fuel used for that reason.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 LB CC Diesel
Engine
6.7 CTD
The DEF has nothing to do with the DPF. The DPF system is still on the 2013 and is completely unchanged aside from DEF being injected downstream of the DPF.
Think you got it backwards there.

On the 13, your milage will be better with the DEF, the power is rated about the same.

The old system, the truck had to be driven fairly hard for certain periods of time, or the would plug up from not being able to regen (idling around and stop and go traffic does not favor a diesel). This is solved on the new ones by using DEF instead.

bitNine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
The DEF has nothing to do with the DPF. The DPF system is still on the 2013 and is completely unchanged aside from DEF being injected downstream of the DPF.

Aside from the lesser use of EGR when the DEF system is implemented, which causes less filtering of particulates by the DPF.