2014 2500 Evap codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

srozing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey everyone,

My truck was throwing a p0456 code, so I went and got a new gas cap and cleared the code. A couple days later and the light came on again, this time a p0457. So I was taking a look at the all the Evap lines hoping for a crack etc but couldn't find anything unfortunately.

What was interesting is that the hose from the Evap can seems to just got up into the engine compartment and vent right there. I am thinking that this probably explains the really crappy burning smell that has been rampant since the dealership did some engine work last year.

I have been getting some pretty horrible gas mileage - 26 l/100km or about 9 mpg. Do you guys think this might be related?

Since all of my hoses seem to be ok, where would you look next to resolve the code?

Thanks!

Ramnm08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have the system smoke tested. You'll be surprised. Hoses might look good, but they can be deceiving.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Have the system smoke tested. You'll be surprised. Hoses might look good, but they can be deceiving.
I concur with @Ramnm08 on this one. A smoke test with a proper scan tool is the most efficient diagnostic route. With a scan tool you can command the purge solenoid closed so tht system can be pressurized by the smoke machine. If the purge solenoid is left in the vent position you will need to block the vent line to the solenoid so you don't have a leak while testing .