2014 RAM 1500 Express Crew Cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Went by the tire shop today to fix a slight shimmy issue that was bothering me ever since i bought the wheel/tire setup, but i was being lazy to had it looked at, so had the wheels re-balanced this morning, and problem was solved.

While i was there, i wanted to address the spare, since i have the factory 17" wheel/tire in there, came to realize the spare may not work with a 315 tire, that thing is either a donut or a 17x6 wheel.
We were trying to do a quick fit with just a tire, and it looks like a 35" might interfere with the panhard at high tuck, but i still want to have a spare that i can mount on the truck, so i just ordered an AR172 wheel in 17x9 -12offset from Discount Tires Direct,, and i'm hoping to catch a 315/70/17 for cheap from Craiglist next week.

I've also decided to mount the spare inside the bed, using the nfab #BM1TSRD, Universal Bed mounted rapid strap, and i'll secure it with a steel cable and lock. It'll use some of the space i have in the bed, but oh well, i can shove things around it, and up top of the spare when needed, the bed is pretty much full only when i take the family out for vacations or some weekends when we go camping, so i shouldn't miss much space otherwise.

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did a little experiment this morning and disconnected the rear sway bar, wanted to test how the truck felt without it, and also if t was restricting the shock travel at all, which was the main objective.

Rear passenger side link disconnected
44379342132_117bf7e51d_h.jpgUntitled by Wrangler RSM, on Flickr

The results, the truck didn't feel that much different on the street without the rear sway bar, and i took a windy road to try it, sure there is a little more body roll without it, but i felt it more during rapid steering corrections left and right, and this is not exactly how i drive any vehicle, if the truck didn't have one, i don't think it'll be a priority for me to install one.

i can also adjust the valving on the Ranchos, i was running them very soft in setting #4, i bumped them up to #6 front and back, after trying the same windy road in 5 then 6, so having a little more on the firm side restored much of the feeling that was lost because of the rear anti sway bar effect, not all, but truck feel more solid around corners.

Offroad, the damn factory rear sway bar does a good job allowing the shocks to move up/down as intended, i'd say if they are restricting any travel, it won't be more than 1/2"

Rear sway bar connected
44430784731_962fea1f76_h.jpg20180902_105449 by Wrangler RSM, on Flickr

Rear Sway bar disconnected
43520425445_601219cbf2_h.jpgUntitled by Wrangler RSM, on Flickr

I've reconnected the link, as my conclusion is that the rear sway bar won't limit the shock from drooping to the max in any detrimental way. Truck felt a bit more planted when in 3 wheels though without the sway bar, but,the truck will be driven 90% of the time on the street, and the little bit of droop that may be lost when offroading, is pretty much nothing, the BLD system combined with the LSD makes up for the traction lost when 1 or 2 wheels in the opposite corners are in the air, so she continues to move forward.

Brake lines can extend a couple of more extra inches if it was needed, some of the brackets have room for some little bents here and there, but no issues at all with the Ranchos and no sway bar.

29491172477_0291e1ab66_h.jpgUntitled by Wrangler RSM, on Flickr

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Factory Mopar Rear shocks specs:
Compressed: 16.5"
Extended: 25.5"

Last edited:

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
Loving the build.

Between the TTC 1223 coils and extended length Bilstein shocks I'm managing just a little more droop than what you're seeing.

Anymore travel and the stock coil actually becomes the limiting factor. I could pull it out by hand.

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Loving the build.

Between the TTC 1223 coils and extended length Bilstein shocks I'm managing just a little more droop than what you're seeing.

Anymore travel and the stock coil actually becomes the limiting factor. I could pull it out by hand.
I'm trying to find the factory lenght of the stock coils and see how much longer i could go, aparently they're 18.5" per the thread i created in the exterior section of the 4th gen trucks.
Is the TTC 1223 linear or proggresive ?
do you know the free lenght on them ? and what were the specs on those extended Bilstein shocks ?

I'm going to call Icon today and see if they can give me the free lenght specs on their 1.5" lift rear coils.

I've also found BDS have a Fox 2.0 shock that i'm sure will work with those Icon 1.5" rear coils, BDS Fox 2.0 part# 98224758,for 2-4" lift 28" extended, 16.6" compressed, which is the same compression as the factory, so wouldn't have to add more bumpstops in the back.

For now i could add an extra inch droop in the back with Rancho RS999274, 26.3 extendedd, 16.52 compressed, this shocks fit the rear of the 08 RAM 1500's or 12 RAM 2500's, which also happens to fit 4th gen 1500's, and be done with it while i save for Coilovers, which more lilely i'll set anywhere between 2 and 2.5" depending on how much lift those Icons rear colil springs really provide.

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
I'm trying to find the factory lenght of the stock coils and see how much longer i could go, aparently they're 18.5" per the thread i created in the exterior section of the 4th gen trucks.
Is the TTC 1223 linear or proggresive ?
do you know the free lenght on them ? and what were the specs on those extended Bilstein shocks ?

I'm going to call Icon today and see if they can give me the free lenght specs on their 1.5" lift rear coils.

I've also found BDS have a Fox 2.0 shock that i'm sure will work with those Icon 1.5" rear coils, BDS Fox 2.0 part# 98224758,for 2-4" lift 28" extended, 16.6" compressed, which is the same compression as the factory, so wouldn't have to add more bumpstops in the back.

For now i could add an extra inch droop in the back with Rancho RS999274, 26.3 extendedd, 16.52 compressed, this shocks fit the rear of the 08 RAM 1500's or 12 RAM 2500's, which also happens to fit 4th gen 1500's, and be done with it while i save for Coilovers, which more lilely i'll set anywhere between 2 and 2.5" depending on how much lift those Icons rear colil springs really provide.

The TTC coils are linear. I got them more for towing than offroad use. I couldn't give you a length on them as I didn't think to measure the difference.

The bils have a compressed length of 16.75 and an extended length of 26.7. Not as long as those fox shocks. Those may be more suited for someone with a DB lift but I could be wrong.

The Icons were something I kind of wish I got instead. Eventually I'm getting rid of the rear setup I have now and going with something more flexible.

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, i'm finding out we don't seem to have a big aftermarket selection of coils for expedition/offroad duties, but more for towing/hauling etc. This is where the aftermarket for Yotas do shine, those fackers have pretty much everything and anything, including all in between, and for whatever they want to do with their trucks :), damn it, you know the offroad aftermarket is lacking when the only available gas tank skid is the Mopar version that fits the Power Wagons, i've seeing a couple of people running that one in their 1500's, but i don't see yet what's needed to fit that skid in.

I think the Icons will work well for what i'm wanting to do, i'll see if i can gather more details from Icon today, they should be able to hold more load compared to stock, and because they're progressive and longer, they should be able to work with those 28" extended shocks without problems.

Also Ty for the info on the Bilstein specs, you just saved me some money as i was going to order the Rancho set that could match their lenght, but it seems the stock coil won't be fully seated with those.

The Rancho specs for the current shocks i have in the back are
Rancho RS999367 - 25.580, 16.410

And you could run them without sway bar at full droop, without issues, that was the first thing i checked when i had them extended to the max, i wanted to see if i could even move them by hand, they won't even rotate, so they're seated good with those shocks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Called Discount tires direct to switch my recently ordered spare wheel (AR172) for a new 5th Raceline clutch wheel so i can have the matching full set. difference was only $47 so what that heck.

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
Yes, i'm finding out we don't seem to have a big aftermarket selection of coils for expedition/offroad duties, but more for towing/hauling etc. This is where the aftermarket for Yotas do shine, those fackers have pretty much everything and anything, including all in between, and for whatever they want to do with their trucks :), damn it, you know the offroad aftermarket is lacking when the only available gas tank skid is the Mopar version that fits the Power Wagons, i've seeing a couple of people running that one in their 1500's, but i don't see yet what's needed to fit that skid in.

I think the Icons will work well for what i'm wanting to do, i'll see if i can gather more details from Icon today, they should be able to hold more load compared to stock, and because they're progressive and longer, they should be able to work with those 28" extended shocks without problems.

Also Ty for the info on the Bilstein specs, you just saved me some money as i was going to order the Rancho set that could match their lenght, but it seems the stock coil won't be fully seated with those.

The Rancho specs for the current shocks i have in the back are
Rancho RS999367 - 25.580, 16.410

And you could run them without sway bar at full droop, without issues, that was the first thing i checked when i had them extended to the max, i wanted to see if i could even move them by hand, they won't even rotate, so they're seated good with those shocks.

Ya i came from the Tacoma world before this truck so I know exactly what you're talking about lol. On my old truck I was running Dirt King and it seems like they've branched into the Ram market as well.

If I was made of money I'd have front long travel (make it work without fiberglass) with a different rear setup.

Last edited:

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Looking good so far. Glad to see a few active members here with the same ideology on their builds. Hopefully we can all dig up some useful info. I've been quietly researching things before I decide to pull the trigger on my suspension. Just not overly impressed with the offerings or its out of my price range. We really lack in available aftermarket. I was looking into eibach stuff since they released a pro truck kit for rams. Front and rear coils are what really have my interest, tho they jacked up the spring rate at least 10% according to the utterly clueless guy on the phone. They are a cheaper option, and supposedly net 1" rear lift. I'm not sure what to do myself. Having the eco diesel seems to nix a few options like the ranchos due to the extra weight I assume. Never thought asking for spring length and rate was such a big deal till nobody has that info to a company lol. I had a 2500, I don't need this thing riding like that one did.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Icon won't disclose anything other than what appears in their website for this springs, and that's, 1.5" lift in a 4th Gen RAM 1500.
I manage to get a 20" long ballpark out of one the techs , but i couldn't get exact measurements or spring rates :(

Somebody got these springs installed back in 2017, and he/she mentions the rear came up 1.5", i'd guess they'll settle down a tad
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/has-anyone-installed-1-5-inch-lift-icon-rear-coil.110247/

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Seems to be run of the mill for companies. I understand the reason to an extent, but I was able to get more info from the "chat with a tech" window through rough country. Unfortunately for us it's just a bit more foot work on our end. I'll dig through my subscribed threads but somewhere in there I have seen a few people reporting the icons settle to .75-1".

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seems to be run of the mill for companies. I understand the reason to an extent, but I was able to get more info from the "chat with a tech" window through rough country. Unfortunately for us it's just a bit more foot work on our end. I'll dig through my subscribed threads but somewhere in there I have seen a few people reporting the icons settle to .75-1".

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Ty

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had this little 14" lightbar laying around in my garage, so i just drilled two holes in the bumper and got it installed, i'll see if i have some time tomorrow to have wired with a relay.

43654344925_7d16b5ce91_h.jpg2018-09-08_09-00-13 by Wrangler RSM, on Flickr

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Picking up an Airlift 1000 part# 60818 kit this afternoon in preparation for the new spare i'll have in the rear bed hopefully by next week.
The Raceline wheels i have are 26lbs each, and any tire in 315/70/17 is at least 70+ lbs, the Falkens are 73lbs, but i don't want a new tire as a spare, though thinking about it, since i'll have the matchig wheel in the spare, i could use that 5th tire, add that to the rotation and get some more miles out of the combo, ummmm.....

I won't need longer springs at the moment, and i don't want to have a higher rear rake (about 1/2" currently), maybe in the future if i ended up with those 2.5 body coilovers, i'll set them at 2.5" of lift and then get the Icon 1.5" springs, for now, the stockers will do the trick. i'll be adding about 100lbs to the bed courtesy of the new full size spare, and i don't want to sit fully level or worst, nose high, so i grabbed the concept from another forum member, Ty @Pull Ya , with the idea to keep the rake where it's , run about 5-10psi in the bags with the tire in the bed, add more psi when the truck is loaded with camping/vacation gear stuff etc.

I took some measurements of the way the truck is sitting at the moment, i've been racking some miles daily to go to work, plus the offroad testing trips i've done so far, are a gurantee that the front Rancho springs should be fully settled in

Before the Ranchos with 275 stock size tires

front fender: 36 1/8
rear fender: 39 1/4
license plate: 18 7/8
tow receiver 18 3/4

After Rancho QL and Falken 315's
front fender 39 5/8
rear fender 40 1/8
license plate 22 1/8
tow reciever 18 5/8

Last edited:
OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got the air bags in the garage, along with the NFAB rapid mount strap, Now waiting on my spare Raceline wheel, then decide what to do with the tire. I may wait until the end of the month, and see if i can snatch a good deal at the Pomona offroad show, 09/29 and 09/30
43888900154_935d049a2d_h.jpgUntitled by Wrangler RSM, on Flickr

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got the spare wheel delivered home yesterday , so i took the trip this afternoon to my local Discount Tires to get the matching tire, now i can add this one to the tire rotation.

In case you ever wonder how much a tire will shrink under the weight of your vehicle

42876748070_831481126a_h.jpgUntitled by Wrangler RSM, on Flickr

29749156937_00678b195a_h.jpgUntitled by Wrangler RSM, on Flickr