2014 Ram 6.4L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James L Wren

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I have a 2014 Ram 2500 with a 6.4L Hemi I have been wanting to find out if it has forged pistons from the factory. I have found reports some says it does the next says they don't I just would like to know for sure.
I know the 6.4l car motor does not have them the 6.4l Ram motor is a totally different animal. Any links from Dodge or Ram would be great thanks.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have a 2014 Ram 2500 with a 6.4L Hemi I have been wanting to find out if it has forged pistons from the factory. I have found reports some says it does the next says they don't I just would like to know for sure.
I know the 6.4l car motor does not have them the 6.4l Ram motor is a totally different animal. Any links from Dodge or Ram would be great thanks.

The top ring land is the weak point in both 5.7 and 6.4 pistons. The rings are a tight gap and under boost they'll expand enough to butt ends and voila you've got a broke ring land and piston,lol. I'm guessing if you're asking about pistons,you're thinking of putting boost to it,keep it under 8psi at most probably better off at 6psi,but guys are getting away with 8psi. Even at 6 or 7 psi,you'll want a safe tune,and maybe even a water/**** injection set-up to keep the pistons happy.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
The top ring land is the weak point in both 5.7 and 6.4 pistons. The rings are a tight gap and under boost they'll expand enough to butt ends and voila you've got a broke ring land and piston,lol. I'm guessing if you're asking about pistons,you're thinking of putting boost to it,keep it under 8psi at most probably better off at 6psi,but guys are getting away with 8psi. Even at 6 or 7 psi,you'll want a safe tune,and maybe even a water/**** injection set-up to keep the pistons happy.
Rick everyone knows you keep your pistons happy with laughing gas.........LoL

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

Honestly I don’t know if I would run water **** on my daily. I know it’s beneficial and you can just use winter washer fluid, if you don’t want a separate tank.

My issue is that when your tuned with water **** you need to be leaned out to account for the water **** which which will get you to the right AFR. So if you accidentally run out and unaware and start beating on it your going to possibly run it lean and then it sounds like rocks in a blender.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Honestly I don’t know if I would run water **** on my daily. I know it’s beneficial and you can just use winter washer fluid, if you don’t want a separate tank.

My issue is that when your tuned with water **** you need to be leaned out to account for the water **** which which will get you to the right AFR. So if you accidentally run out and unaware and start beating on it your going to possibly run it lean and then it sounds like rocks in a blender.

That's true,good point Dan.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Interesting it says forged in there. I looked in the factory service manual and it doesn’t say forged. I don’t know what to tell you lol.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
I remember reading an article about the design plan was to have with forged pistons but it was never manufactured that way.

Will see if I can find.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Not what I was looking for but found this:
https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/product/485-hp-392-gen-3-6-4-hemi-long-block-assembly-mds/

6.4L ENGINE LONG BLOCK 2013-2017 with MDS

6.4L HEMI engine. With 485 horsepower and 475 lb.-ft. of
torque,

FEATURES:
392 cu. in.
103.9mm Bore
94.6mm Stroke
Cast Iron Block with 4-Bolt Powder Metal Caps
Forged Steel Crank Material
Powdered Metal, Floating Pin Connecting Rods
Hypereutectic Aluminum Piston Material
Nodular Iron Camshaft

Aluminum, Hemispherical Chamber Cylinder Heads
54.3mm Intake Valve Size
42mm Exhaust Valve Size
10.9:1 Compression Ratio

6,400 Peak RPM

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Can't find specs on 6.4 truck engine........would assume rotating assembly would be the same......cam/valves/oil pump would be different for sure

Last edited:

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Everything that I can find from a dealer documentation standpoint says the crank is forged but not the pistons. That would lead me to believe they’re cast. They may have planned to use forged but changed their mind.

The 6.4 in the cars/grand Cherokee is the same way, forged crank with cast pistons.

OP
OP
James L Wren

James L Wren

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Thank you all for the information I really do appreciate it. I do plan on putting a Wipplesupercharger on it in the near future.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thank you all for the information I really do appreciate it. I do plan on putting a Wipplesupercharger on it in the near future.

If you're keeping the stock pistons,they'll take a fair bit of abuse if you re-gap the rings slightly bigger. Bulletproof " no ",but okay for the majority of guys if new drop in pistons/rods aren't in the budget