2015 6.4 Hemi Engine Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IAMMAC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I had an engine failure over the weekend and my truck is now at the Dodge dealership waiting for an "official" diagnosis. My truck is a 2015 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi, I have just over 60K miles and am wondering what my options are. I can't remember for the life of me what the power train warranty is from when I bought it but I do know that I bought the extended bumper to bumper warranty that is 5 yr/100K so if nothing else hopefully that will cover it. The service technician stated that he could not tell me anything until there was an official diagnosis. I'm worried that I have a HUGE paper weight and they won't fix the engine if it is indeed an engine failure. I have done some research and have found that there has been a wrist pin failure and am thinking that's what it is since I have had all of the symptoms describing it. Please advise and ease my nerves. Thanks in advance.

Greg

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I had an engine failure over the weekend and my truck is now at the Dodge dealership waiting for an "official" diagnosis. My truck is a 2015 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi, I have just over 60K miles and am wondering what my options are. I can't remember for the life of me what the power train warranty is from when I bought it but I do know that I bought the extended bumper to bumper warranty that is 5 yr/100K so if nothing else hopefully that will cover it. The service technician stated that he could not tell me anything until there was an official diagnosis. I'm worried that I have a HUGE paper weight and they won't fix the engine if it is indeed an engine failure. I have done some research and have found that there has been a wrist pin failure and am thinking that's what it is since I have had all of the symptoms describing it. Please advise and ease my nerves. Thanks in advance.

Greg

Bumper to bumper will surely cover it.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to the Ramforum Greg from Bristol Tn.

Hate to hear of your engine issues & hope the warranty covers it !

Keep us informed here on what they do & say [emoji1303]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Just for a point of reference, please keep us updated with a status. Mainly what if anything they ask of you to prove what maintenance has been done and what fluids you used.

That being said, if you kept up with the maintenance and the correct fluid use, you should have minimal push back.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Unless you have modded the fool out of the motor, you should be good

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The wrist pin issue was covered over a limited number of trucks produced over a limited amount of time during the 2014 model year.

The 6.4L in my 2014 Big Horn had the issue and they replaced the engine. But that may not be your issue so don't go too far diagnosing the problem for them.

Keep us advised on what they have to say on the failure cause and what they do regarding repairs.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Wiped cam lobes and lifter problems that continue to be a problem in the 5.7 seem to have carried over to the parts on the 6.4. I know they share the MDS cams if I remember correctly.

I think the lifters are a bit different but don’t know for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Wiped cam lobes and lifter problems that continue to be a problem in the 5.7 seem to have carried over to the parts on the 6.4. I know they share the MDS cams if I remember correctly.

I think the lifters are a bit different but don’t know for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think the lifters that are the same from the 5.7 to 6.4 but the cams are different.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
You're not alone,the local dealer has replaced a few 6.4's,and they're usually a good buy off them if you're doing a stroker build. My local dealer sells the warrentied 6.4 longblocks for 900 bucks Canuck,as that's what FCA pays them for the longblock.Kurtis/Charonblk bought one for his new build,and another buddy grabbed the last one they had for his stroker build.

OP
OP
I

IAMMAC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Woke up this afternoon (I work nights) to a text stating to come to the dealership. Now my mind is in overload as to the vague message. I get there and my service advisor says he has bad an good news for me...… So I tell him that I'd rather have the bad news first and then go from there. Th bad news was that they were giving me a minivan courtesy vehicle and the good news was that they were replacing my engine! So the new engine (long block) is on its way and fingers crossed I'm hoping to be back in my truck by the end of next week. They didn't say why the engine failed and when I inquired they really didn't seem to care other than I was getting a new engine. I'll take it for now. Will keep everyone posted as to when everything is finished and if there are any other issues.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You're not alone,the local dealer has replaced a few 6.4's,and they're usually a good buy off them if you're doing a stroker build. My local dealer sells the warrentied 6.4 longblocks for 900 bucks Canuck,as that's what FCA pays them for the longblock.Kurtis/Charonblk bought one for his new build,and another buddy grabbed the last one they had for his stroker build.
$900 Canuck, what's that US? Is that new, reman or what? What are they selling 5.7's for? That sounds like a hell of a deal there.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
$900 Canuck, what's that US? Is that new, reman or what? What are they selling 5.7's for? That sounds like a hell of a deal there.

I'm assuming that price is for the dead motor that was pulled. Not sure I'd take a dead motor. No telling what failed and how extensive the damage is. If it has a cracked block you essentially just paid a grand for a paper weight.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm assuming that price is for the dead motor that was pulled. Not sure I'd take a dead motor. No telling what failed and how extensive the damage is. If it has a cracked block you essentially just paid a grand for a paper weight.
That's what I thought, however he said it was warrantied. I've never heard of someone selling an engine guaranteed to be rebuildable. I guess that would be possible though. $900 does sound about right for a core charge.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That's good news.

Normally they will list the failure mode or the TSB/Rapid Response Bulletin that applies to the vehicle repairs on the repair service order so that there is no question FCA approved the replacement.

Too bad about the minivan but it has to be better than this piece of crap they gave me when mine as in for an engine replacement:

042115%20Loaner_zpslcduqzle.jpg

This thing literally rocked back and forth in time with the wipers if they were on High and the vehicle was sitting still.

:favorites68: