2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel audio build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
draft6969

draft6969

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
yea I hate to destroy perfectly good speakers also, but the odds of those ever getting used again were slim to none.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You should do a test of the tweeters place at the dash and then at the sails. You'll quickly decide on the sails. ;) no worries though, I and many other people here have been through it. The reflection off of the windshield isn't bad but the sails are too good to ignore.

OP
OP
draft6969

draft6969

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
Yea I know the sails are where they should be, but right now I have them hooked up to the radio to get an idea on the sound, and I can tell I need to kick them off axis for sure. once I get them angled, amped and tuned if I don't like it, sails it will be.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I had my Dyn md102's mounted the EXACT same way for a few years. They sounded really nice there. I tried the sails on axis with my t380's and I had to keep them there. The detail and sparkle was the deciding factor. Depth suffered a bit, but the sails had a bit more width. it's always a trade off. Oh, and the sun (I parked outside for a few years) popped one of my silk domes on my 102's. when they were in the dash...i think it was the hot Nebraska sun

OP
OP
draft6969

draft6969

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
I had my Dyn md102's mounted the EXACT same way for a few years. They sounded really nice there. I tried the sails on axis with my t380's and I had to keep them there. The detail and sparkle was the deciding factor. Depth suffered a bit, but the sails had a bit more width. it's always a trade off. Oh, and the sun (I parked outside for a few years) popped one of my silk domes on my 102's. when they were in the dash...i think it was the hot Nebraska sun

I think I can make them work where they are. Just from only being hooked up to the radio they sound really good. I think they are just a tilt off axis from sounding wonderful, but we'll see:naughty:
and if you think the sun is hot in Nebraska just think what mine will see in Louisiana:flame:

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I think I can make them work where they are. Just from only being hooked up to the radio they sound really good. I think they are just a tilt off axis from sounding wonderful, but we'll see:naughty:
and if you think the sun is hot in Nebraska just think what mine will see in Louisiana:flame:

haha! They will work just fine in the dash sir! There is something really cool about having a stealth install using factory locations, then WHAM, this is not a stock system!! :favorites13:
I look forward to hearing your thoughts on everything.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Off subject a tad - AutoKraft, have you tried a 3-way with the mid-range in the factory spot and the tweeter in the sail?

OP
OP
draft6969

draft6969

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
Off subject a tad - AutoKraft, have you tried a 3-way with the mid-range in the factory spot and the tweeter in the sail?

just to let you know, I tried that in my jeep ( which is basically the same setup) and it sounded terrible. I played with it a lot to try to get it to sound right and quickly gave up and just installed a 2 way system. so much better. I'm not saying it cant sound good. most any setup can sound good with the proper equipment and tuning, but way more trouble and less favorable results than I thought it was worth. that's just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
draft6969

draft6969

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee. same speaker placement as out trucks. Just couldn't get over the higher midrange frequencies coming from the windshield and everything else from the doors. but like I said that's just me. someone else might love it. so if your curious just give it a try.

OP
OP
draft6969

draft6969

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
haha! They will work just fine in the dash sir! There is something really cool about having a stealth install using factory locations, then WHAM, this is not a stock system!! :favorites13:
I look forward to hearing your thoughts on everything.

I just checked out your build thread and WOW those DYNOS are crazy!!! but then I read the sad ending and I think ill keep mine in the dash. lol, but they did come out really nice.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Never tried a three-way, always wanted but never ended up doing it. (Insert joke here) The last-up I really loved was my Horns and I don't really know if I want to do that in the truck.

OP
OP
draft6969

draft6969

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
There are 2 ways to do it. you can buy a 3 way passive setup but its very hard to adjust the mid with this system, and it most likely will over power the tweets and mid bass drivers. the other way is to go fully active which will give you total control of the volume and frequencies of all drivers. this will probably be the only way to get it to sound correctly, but even then I couldn't get it to my liking.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are 2 ways to do it. you can buy a 3 way passive setup but its very hard to adjust the mid with this system, and it most likely will over power the tweets and mid bass drivers. the other way is to go fully active which will give you total control of the volume and frequencies of all drivers. this will probably be the only way to get it to sound correctly, but even then I couldn't get it to my liking.

I haven't run a passive system in probably 7-8 years lol. I am not that great at tuning, so the MS8 has been my savior for the past few systems.

OP
OP
draft6969

draft6969

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
Oh you got a MS8? then what are you waiting for? LOL. for the cost of a 3" speaker you will find out for sure. :favorites13: I was one buy it now click away from getting the Soundstream HARMONY but for what I needed the AudioControl DQ-61 suited my needs more. I think you should give it a shot. with that MS8 it might sound great!!!

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had one... sold it a while ago. Didn't think I would want a system any time soon. Fast forward to now and I wish I kept it lol.

OP
OP
draft6969

draft6969

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
Well i have offically hit my first snag in my project. While test fitting my amps to see how I wanted to lay them out. I found that they don't fit anywhere!!! Well they fit great but the seat won't fold down without hitting them. I'm so discouraged right now cause while I can just get some other amps. I absolutely lover Lunar amplifiers. A brief introduction to anyone not fimilar with lunar amplifiers. Kenny has been building lunar amplifiers right here in good old lousisana since the early 1990's. He was one of the original Rockford engineers back in the 80's and branched out on his own. Anyway these amps are pretty rare and some of the best sounding amps around due to him being very **** about his products. Lol. Fast forward to today lunar doesn't exist anymore and I have been saving these amps for this very build and now they DONT FIT:flame: Ok sorry for the rant. I took some pics and if anyone has any ideas I'm listening. The only idea I have is the seat lift trick to fold the rear seat down. Maybe the 3/4" might be enough?

20160219_111635_zps5tyfjm6g.jpg

20160219_111647_zpssd4wxgmd.jpg

20160219_111658_zpsccvk3h4d.jpg

20160219_111711_zpswlqqrkbp.jpg

OP
OP
draft6969

draft6969

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
Sorry, I guess I should have mentioned that I tried under the seat and along the back wall. These things are 3 1/2" tall and its killing my install. I am crossing my fingers that a stack of washers under the seat bolts will cure this problem. if not :suicide:

VegasDragger45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A stack of washers will work but I would suggest spacers from NetAudiowf.com

I raised my back seat 1 1/4" to fit my box

FB20B393-E8C2-41B7-B36B-9B154A70EDC0_zpsjie99mmx.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member