2016 Rebel towing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CavScout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry if this has been addressed, I'm not too tech savvy and tried a search but didn't see anything to really answer my concerns.

I own a 2016 Rebel with the 5.7L. My wife and I just purchased a little pop-up camper that weighs 2,250lbs, with a listed hitch weight of 245lbs. My truck's door says my truck only has a payload of 931lbs. Well, when you add the weights of me, wife, and 2 kids, and the hitch weight we're at 755lbs, then the website of my hard tonneau cover says it weighs between 50-75lbs... so let's say 60 since I have the shorter bed. Now we're at 810lbs. So that leaves only 116lbs for gear before hitting payload. I'm new to any kind of towing, so this stuff is all alien to me, and I just want to make sure I am transporting my family safely.

So, my question is, how big of a deal is it really if I go over payload by like 100lbs? I live in west Texas and we will be taking this camper up into the mountains of New Mexico, so high elevation and lots of twists and turns. Also, would it be smarter to just load any gear into the popup, so that only ~15% of the weight goes towards affecting payload? I.e. - if I put 300lbs of gear in the camper, only like 45lbs gets added towards the total payload, still leaving me with 71lbs before I hit payload? Does it actually work that way?

Thanks for any insight, and I'm sorry for my naivety/ignorance on the subject.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Loading into the camper will help with your payload. Get the tongue weight right and you shouldn't have much of an issue.

Do you have any anti-sway devices for the trailer or a weight distribution hitch?

OP
OP
C

CavScout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do not. I tried to buy a WDH at the RV store when I bought the pop up, but even the guy who ran the part of the store that sells accessories told me at “such a low weight” and I figured if they were taking themselves out of a $200 sale, then I should believe them... but I’m questioning that. However a WDH would just eat up even more payload, right?

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
I was wondering if you would need it for the sway control more than anything else.

OP
OP
C

CavScout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ah, gotcha. I drove it the 26 miles home from Camping World, including some decent inclines going around the mountains that split El Paso in two, driving up to 70mph and it did great. But it was literally just myself in the truck and nothing else.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
If you know your payload and your max tow, loading the trailer to keep weight where it needs to be to balance everything out. I'm pretty sure the Rebel has a pretty good tow rating, 6-7k rating at least.

Load the trailer with the gear and make sure you have an acceptable tongue weight. Quite a few threads about calculating tongue weight here.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Does the trailer have brakes?(electric or surge) those would be more beneficial than a WDH. A WDH can be helpful, as mentioned before mostly for sway control, but if the trailer is loaded correctly it shouldn't sway.
Your way over thinking the payload sticker with that trailer. Probably loaded up with the entire family, your probably going to be just a hair above 4K total including the trailer. Unless there is a "loose nut" behind the steering wheel, you should be easy cruising for where ever you roam.

OP
OP
C

CavScout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bldinker, I’m specifically asking about payload. Not towing ability. I know what the towing limit is. I’m concerned about the truck’s ability to handle the weight of the cargo, passengers, and tongue weight when the listed payload is only 931lbs.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I’m concerned about the truck’s ability to handle the weight of the cargo, passengers, and tongue weight when the listed payload is only 931lbs.
I completely question the accuracy of those yellow stickers. Look up your payload on Ram's website, I bet you have me beat by several hundred pounds. The website lists 0 ..you read that right - zero
I tow an 8K lbs 28' .. granted I've added helper airbags but have confidence in how the truck handles that load.

Bldrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bldinker, I’m specifically asking about payload. Not towing ability. I know what the towing limit is. I’m concerned about the truck’s ability to handle the weight of the cargo, passengers, and tongue weight when the listed payload is only 931lbs.

What difference in construction is the Rebel from every other Ram 1500?
Different frame, rear axle, brakes, spring rates?

Think about this. If that sticker inside your door says you have 2000lb cargo you think your safe right?

Why? Because the sticker says so?

Only you can decide what you are towing is safe.

If it feels fine your probably fine if it feels sketchy your probably need to rethink your setup.

I tell you what I told my buddy that preached specs.

If you need a piece of paper to tell you if you can tow something you belong in the passenger seat.

Sorry if that’s harsh but it’s the truth.

OP
OP
C

CavScout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's not harsh, but not fitting to my question. If it were just me, I wouldn't be concerned in the least bit. The difference between the Rebel and a regular 1500 is the offroad suspension - supposedly it's not rated to handle the same loads. My concern was reading that going over payload can cause loss of steering due to the front wheels not making proper contact with the ground, and then also impact braking ability.

Like I said, I've never really towed before. Driven HMMWVs and MRAPs all over Iraq and Afghanistan, but never towed with a 1/2 ton pickup with a toddler inside of it. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Bldrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's not harsh, but not fitting to my question. If it were just me, I wouldn't be concerned in the least bit. The difference between the Rebel and a regular 1500 is the offroad suspension - supposedly it's not rated to handle the same loads. My concern was reading that going over payload can cause loss of steering due to the front wheels not making proper contact with the ground, and then also impact braking ability.

Like I said, I've never really towed before. Driven HMMWVs and MRAPs all over Iraq and Afghanistan, but never towed with a 1/2 ton pickup with a toddler inside of it. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Your question of the front end getting light is a good question.

I doubt the rebel spring weight is that much softer than standard 1/2tons.
How much did your truck sag when the trailer was hooked up? Any picture by chance?

Worst case scenario would be airlift helper bags. But I doubt you need it.

The truck is capable of way way way more than you doing. The safety part is more up to the driver than the truck.

You should have seen what my grandmother towed across the US in the family station wagon in the 1960’s

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Most of the rebels I’ve seen have had the factory air suspension. That would level the truck out automatically

OP
OP
C

CavScout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine also has the air suspension that does automatically level the truck; so it didn't sag at all, but I wasn't sure if that mitigated the front end getting light, or not. I know I probably am being a bit paranoid, but when you're new to towing/hauling and you've got a beautiful little 4 year old daughter in the backseat, it makes me want to hear from people with more knowledge that I am good to go.

IMG_2183.jpeg

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
Mine also has the air suspension that does automatically level the truck; so it didn't sag at all, but I wasn't sure if that mitigated the front end getting light, or not. I know I probably am being a bit paranoid, but when you're new to towing/hauling and you've got a beautiful little 4 year old daughter in the backseat, it makes me want to hear from people with more knowledge that I am good to go.

View attachment 169481

Nice little setup sir. Load out on the camper will help you out a lot.

OP
OP
C

CavScout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you, OC455. Next month will make 1 year of owning her (I named her Big Bertha) and I absolutely love her. That's part of why I'm on here - trying to reassure myself 100% that I don't need to trade her in for a "regular" 1500 or something.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
Thank you, OC455. Next month will make 1 year of owning her (I named her Big Bertha) and I absolutely love her. That's part of why I'm on here - trying to reassure myself 100% that I don't need to trade her in for a "regular" 1500 or something.

I pretty sure you will be good to go.

This is mine:

upload_2019-6-10_21-41-5.png

I got XL rated tires on it, and Timber Grove air springs. Stable towing and safe. I had the same concerns as you did when I bought the Ram and the camper. Asked a lot of the same questions. My family and puppers in the truck and everything else loaded up in the camper. I'm not close to GVWR of the camper and I'm only about 400lbs heavier on the camper.

Much rather ask the questions, than have something stupid happen on the road. I've seen enough dumb s#!t happen to know to ask.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morgansamuel