2017 1500 battery question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RingSteel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
First year that the battery has started acting weak on cold mornings.

If I replace it now, before it strands me one morning; is there a procedure to follow to maintain the computer memory when replacing the battery?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
First year that the battery has started acting weak on cold mornings.

If I replace it now, before it strands me one morning; is there a procedure to follow to maintain the computer memory when replacing the battery?

Not really. My truck sits all winter with the battery disconnected,only thing that really happens is the heater fan will be turned off and the temp setting will be right in the middle,that's on a sport with the 8.4 radio though

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I swapped my battery back in March without any issues. I asked my buddy who's a Dodge mechanic, he said on rare occasion you can get a CEL but just to clear it.
I think my 8.4AN (with Navigation) prompted me to do a recalibration, which consists in driving around in a circle (check the owner's manual).

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m getting worried about mine now, I’ve seen a few threads here with 17’s needing batteries already... and it gets damn cold here.

Nothing worse than waiting to install a new battery until the old one quits at -40. My fingers hurt just thinking about it.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I’m getting worried about mine now, I’ve seen a few threads here with 17’s needing batteries already... and it gets damn cold here.

Nothing worse than waiting to install a new battery until the old one quits at -40. My fingers hurt just thinking about it.
Mine was replaced last year under warranty. Factory batteries are crap.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Mine started losing some punch last winter, but still works ok. My ram is not my DD and lives in my shop so I'm not too concerned yet. If it gets substantially weaker I'll replace it. I may put it on a battery tender soon though because I haven't run it much since March with the covid and cold kills batteries.

diveconjeff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Cold not much of an issue in FL. Just had to replace both batteries on my 2017 3500 though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
Man, are you guys trying to jinx me or what?

I JUST changed the battery on my wife's 2015 Patriot w/ 120,000 the other day, just because of winter.

I was hoping for another year or 2 out of my 2016.....

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Every month or so I nose both my 2018 Ram and 2015 Wrangler up to the door of my garage. I have a dual bank battery tender. One bank is dedicated full time to my FoxBody Mustang but the other one has an extended cord which reaches the driveway. The Ram is on its original battery, the Jeep has been changed because a year a so back wife said electronics were acting weird. Battery solved problem. Anyway, I plug each vehicle in on a weekend when I can and can leave it overnight and know it’s not gonna be used the next morning. I can get both vehicles back to 100% on the tender during that time. I’m hoping to extend the lives of both batteries by doing this every once a while. Let’s see. Time will tell.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Cold not much of an issue in FL. Just had to replace both batteries on my 2017 3500 though
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I always thought the cold was the hardest on batteries as I grew up and spent 60+ years in Connecticut.
However the couple of tow guys I talked to here in Florida say the heat is worse. They say 2 to 3 years on a battery in Florida.
I guess we'll see.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I always thought the cold was the hardest on batteries as I grew up and spent 60+ years in Connecticut.
However the couple of tow guys I talked to here in Florida say the heat is worse. They say 2 to 3 years on a battery in Florida.
I guess we'll see.

Cold is only hard on an old battery,they'll freeze,but a fully charged good battery can usually take cold better then it can handle heat.

hawsk99gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Express 2016
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yeah my 2016 RAM is still on its factory battery after 5 years and is still trucking up here in the North GA mountains. Plus I keep her garage kept. But I am on the search for a replacement for it

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My 2011 still had the original battery when I sold it in 2019 and it saw plenty of extreme cold. So far so good on my 2017. I won't change it until it needs a couple jump starts (once might just be me leaving something plugged in like my cb)

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
what helps kill lead/acid is running them dead gets damn cold in Alberta in the winter batteries don't work as well in the cold my truck is a 15 6.4 I replaced my battery in the fall before it got to cold and before it gave me grief I hate boosting computer controlled vehicles

hawsk99gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Express 2016
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree, I do not like jump starting these new computerized vehicles. I have only had to do it once and that was because I left my lights on at the airport parking for a week. I wasn't sure if the factory batteries were special or is it the fact that I keep in the garage all the time except for use. I have 81K miles on it. Though I had my dealership run a battery test on it and these were their results: ACTUAL = 505 Cold Cranking AMPS, FACTORY SPEC = 630 Cold Cranking AMPS. They said it may require future attention.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My 2011 still had the original battery when I sold it in 2019 and it saw plenty of extreme cold. So far so good on my 2017. I won't change it until it needs a couple jump starts (once might just be me leaving something plugged in like my cb)

Damn, that's a long time.

The battery in my 2015 started cranking a little sluggish. I had a feeling it was on the way out, but I ignored it.

Then, one day I made a store run for groceries. Came out and loaded them in the truck, and that was it. No start.

Luckily, I got a jump and was able to get it home.

Got 4-1/2 years out of that original battery, so not too bad. 8+ is excellent. Have seen a few take a **** in less than 2 years, too.

Guess it depends whether they're built on monday morning, friday afternoon, or not.....lol.