2017 1500 Factory trailer brake stopped working.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff120

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi All,

I have about 11k miles on my 1500. I've been pulling my 23' trailer (2010 year) since the spring (about 5k miles).

Today while driving, I heard the beep and it said the trailer brake was disconnected. I pulled over, unplugged/plugged back in a few times, checked for a loose harness, and it still wouldn't work.

All the lights (turn/brake, night) work fine. It just seems to be the brake. Any idea where to start looking? Has anyone had this issue before?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi All,

I have about 11k miles on my 1500. I've been pulling my 23' trailer (2010 year) since the spring (about 5k miles).

Today while driving, I heard the beep and it said the trailer brake was disconnected. I pulled over, unplugged/plugged back in a few times, checked for a loose harness, and it still wouldn't work.

All the lights (turn/brake, night) work fine. It just seems to be the brake. Any idea where to start looking? Has anyone had this issue before?
I have not heard of anybody having this issue with the factory trailer brake. They seem to be pretty reliable. I think the first thing I would be is check all the wiring in your trailer connector and then check the wiring on the back side of the truck plug see if anything possibly came loose or got damaged. If you know someone that has a trailer with electronic brakes you could always plug into their trailer and see if it connects to your truck. It might help you narrow down if it's the truck or your trailer with the issue. If it ends up being your truck your still under warranty. I would just take it in and have them figure out what's going on.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Sounds like you do a lot of towing, it could be a worn out or bad magnet in the trailer brakes?
https://www.etrailer.com/question-10824.html

F11 is the fuse for the trailer brakes on the truck (The rest of the fuses for the trailer plug are F28, F29, F30, F53 & F81).

OP
OP
J

jeff120

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info. I hooked up to my neighbor's trailer and it registered the brake. Taking the RV in for some brake work!