2017 Ram 1500 Lone Star Cruise Control Fixes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rican69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My cruise control works when it wants to. Took it to the dealer and they want over $800 to fix. They said the cruise control and humidity sensor works in harmony with each other. Does anybody know if that's true? Need assistance .

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've never heard of anything about the humidity sensor controlling the cruise control. If it's the same humidity sensor I'm thinking of it's only present if your truck has Dual Zone Auto Temp HVAC control. The humidity sensor for that is located on the windshield under a black cover on the right side of the mirror. This is to detect moisture on the windshield so the truck will go into defrost mode. This is the only humidity sensor I am aware of on these trucks and I'm not sure what it would have to do with the cruise control. If it is somehow related this sensor is around $40 dollars and takes minutes to change. The actual steering wheel switch is around $50. You would need to remove your airbag to remove the top steering wheel cover and replace the switch. Its not that hard to do. There are several videos on YouTube showing how to do it. There are several things that can affect the Cruise Control such as a check engine light, ABS codes, ect. Many people have had issues with the switch itself causing intermittent problems and had to replace it. I would also check the actual wiring harness and connectors if you decide to replace the switch yourself. I honestly don't know how they came up with $800 to fix the issue without more info or what DTC codes they were able to pull. You could check the truck for DTC codes to see if there is anything stored in the BCM but that requires special scanning tool or you could do it with the Alfa Tool which many of us have and use. I personally do all of the maintenance and repairs on my truck myself and don't really trust most dealers or the Techs they hire but that's just my opinion. I would definitely do your research before you fork out $800 to fix a problem. There is an actual Tech on the forum who is very knowledgeable his screen name is @Tach_tech he may see this or you may want to reach out to him. If it's something that happens he's most likely seen it.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Rican69

Rican69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I really appreciate it Ricks Ram. It would definitely same me some needed cash. I just received my OBDlink this morning from Amazon. Gonna download the Alfaobd App, later. I will try to reach out to @Tach_tech. It really stink when your warranty expires on July 2020 and truck only has 29000 miles.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I really appreciate it Ricks Ram. It would definitely same me some needed cash. I just received my OBDlink this morning from Amazon. Gonna download the Alfaobd App, later. I will try to reach out to @Tach_tech. It really stink when your warranty expires on July 2020 and truck only has 29000 miles.
You should be able to pull any DTC codes you may have with the tool as long as the dealer didn't clear them. If they did they should reset the next time your cruise doesn't work. If it's a bad switch then there may not be a DTC code because the switch simply isn't working. I have seen a lot of guys have issues with the switch itself, especially when it's an intermittent issue. It's always best to try to do your research and check for any possible codes that may help point you in the right direction before you start throwing parts at it. Good luck, let us know what you find.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The cruise switch and humidity sensor don’t work together. I believe they are on the same LIN bus network, I’d have to check that to be sure. They are separate though, don’t need one to have the other.

If you could get dtcs pulled that would be helpful. The cruise switch is the most likely cause though, or corrosion on the connections. A lot of times just unplugging and plugging in the cruise switch is enough to clean the connections. There’s even a star case about it.

OP
OP
Rican69

Rican69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for the help. I knew this was the place to be.

OP
OP
Rican69

Rican69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Found a video on Youtube. The gentleman had a problem with his cruise control. He smacked the steering wheel and he got it to work, over and over again. I tried it and it worked, temp solution until I get the part.

AZRickD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just tried the smack-the-steeing-wheel technique.

It didn't work.

Same result with the press-and-hold and toggle down and up the gear selector.