2018 ED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1967 Mustang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I inquired about the ED in the Gen 4 forum and did not get a lot of response.

I am looking at a 2018 with 37,000 miles on it.

From what I gather, this engine had some issues and the factory warranty has expired, so I am on my own if I buy it.

Carfax shows one owner, no accidents and maintenance at the same dealership since new. Also shows 2 outstanding recalls, fuel pump and crankshaft position sensor. It looks to me like the original owner sold the truck when the warranty expired at the 5 year mark.

This is one of the nicest trucks I have ever seen. The interior is nicer than the Lincolns that I have owned. My pups like the rear floor.

Am I rolling the dice if I buy this truck? I want it to tow a 7000# travel trailer around North America.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2l
It's a buttery smooth quiet motor that gets some gas mileage, but I'm concerned about engine failure aswell

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Am I rolling the dice if I buy this truck? I want it to tow a 7000# travel trailer around North America.
You probably have as much chance with the EcoDiesel engine as with he Hemi eating it's cam. Unfortunately this forum is heavily Hemi biased and you get a lot of people parroting information that they've read somewhere.
Keep in mind forums are where people goto complain, not many bother to say anything if they don't have problems. To put it in perspective there is about 147K members on this forum, Ram builds/sells somewhere in the area of 500K trucks a year. The small amount of problems you read about on the forum are not an actual percentage of the overall.

On another EcoDiesel specific forum there's a lengthy running list of EcoDiesel trucks that have traveled over 100K along with 200K mile milestones. There is even several above the 300K and even 400K miles on the odometer.

tangocash001

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 eco diesel
Engine
3.0 eco diesel
Don't touch it. It's a gamble. Maybe you win, maybe you don't. My 2018 ED had engine failure at 108 000 km. the new engine was 16-17k. It's just not a great product.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Any vehicle purchased is a gamble ,does not matter the brand or amount of money paid . Add more options and your odds of the house winning just increased .