2018 Power Wagon on Toyo MT 35x12.5 w/AEV wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Punishher7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If redesigned Kalta wheels had been available, I would have been all over that.

I thought about the KM3s, but they were on national back order in the sizes I was considering. But given the trouble I had balancing the KO2s and how easily and well the Toyo MTs balanced, I’m glad I went the way I did. BFG seems to be producing a lot of tires that are close to or completely out of round these days; and, if they can’t get it right for an all terrain, I’m afraid to think of the trouble their MT would be.

I had good luck with KO and KM2s so I might roll the dice. I called AEV a while back and they stated that the Katla IS coming back. I’ll try to wait it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
JamesWyatt

JamesWyatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I had good luck with KO and KM2s so I might roll the dice. I called AEV a while back and they stated that the Katla IS coming back. I’ll try to wait it out.

That's good news about the Katla, it's a good-looking wheel. I had their Jeep twins, the AEV Savegres, on one of my Wranglers.

The KO2 – if you can find four that will balance well to put on the ground, rides smooth as glass, is quiet as a mouse, and is great in rain, snow, even mud. But Discount Tire warned me about putting them on the 2500 trucks. They said they can never get them balanced and that 3/4 ton truck customers were seeing tread separations and short tread life out of them.

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L

I went with the Salta's because AEV told me the same thing... In like Jan of this yr. Before I ordered the Salta's I asked them again when the Katla's were due to be re-released and all they said was they will be re-released, but don't know when because they are doing a whole lot more testing and coming up with new stress tests to ensure they don't have the same issue with the previous version to fit non-diesel 2500s

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
That's good news about the Katla, it's a good-looking wheel. I had their Jeep twins, the AEV Savegres, on one of my Wranglers.

The KO2 – if you can find four that will balance well to put on the ground, rides smooth as glass, is quiet as a mouse, and is great in rain, snow, even mud. But Discount Tire warned me about putting them on the 2500 trucks. They said they can never get them balanced and that 3/4 ton truck customers were seeing tread separations and short tread life out of them.
That's weird... Cause I had KO2s on my old 2500 for a yr with no issues before I got my Salta's and was forced to go with the Toyo MTs at the time for the load rating

OP
OP
JamesWyatt

JamesWyatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
That's weird... Cause I had KO2s on my old 2500 for a yr with no issues before I got my Salta's and was forced to go with the Toyo MTs at the time for the load rating

Who knows. It may be a manufacturing consistency thing, or maybe BFG crapped out a bad batch at one point.

My history with the KO2:

2016 Rubicon Hard Rock – couldn't get a set balanced, ever, so one was probably out of round
2018 Rubicon Recon – set balanced perfectly
2018 Power Wagon – two replaced for being out of round, couldn't get the remaining ones balanced well – possibly the other two were out of round as well

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
What PSI have you found is best for the Toyo MT on the street? They're riding great at the factory pressure, but I'm thinking they need to be much lower for even wear.
I have mine set at 60. 65 was fine, but ride feels a tad smoother at -5 psi. I might try 55 here in a little bit. But I rotate the tires pretty frequently since that's recommended for MTs to help with even wear.
Who knows. It may be a manufacturing consistency thing, or maybe BFG crapped out a bad batch at one point.

My history with the KO2:

2016 Rubicon Hard Rock – couldn't get a set balanced, ever, so one was probably out of round
2018 Rubicon Recon – set balanced perfectly
2018 Power Wagon – two replaced for being out of round, couldn't get the remaining ones balanced well – possibly the other two were out of round as well
I wonder if it's a matter of the wheel size. My old 2500 had 18s

OP
OP
JamesWyatt

JamesWyatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I have mine set at 60. 65 was fine, but ride feels a tad smoother at -5 psi. I might try 55 here in a little bit. But I rotate the tires pretty frequently since that's recommended for MTs to help with even wear.

Thanks, I think I'll try 55 front/60 rear before trying 50/55, which is getting close to the TPMS warning threshold.

I wonder if it's a matter of the wheel size. My old 2500 had 18s

It's almost impossible to know for sure. It could also be the factory wheels are at least part of the problem, whether it be wheel size, width, offset, manufacturing uniformity, or a combination.

OP
OP
JamesWyatt

JamesWyatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
2018 AEV ProCal is finally out – ordered! I'll be glad to have the speedo and trans shift points back to where they should be.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Ok humor me but what exactly is this that you are referring to ?

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
2018 AEV ProCal is finally out – ordered! I'll be glad to have the speedo and trans shift points back to where they should be.
shut up...no way.. looking now
just called. its not quite ready and it is on hold.. AEV said just hold patiently for another couple weeks.
i asked if i should just order, he mentioned to hold off until the announcement of it.

screw it, im ordering anyways

Last edited:
OP
OP
JamesWyatt

JamesWyatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
just called. its not quite ready and it is on hold.. AEV said just hold patiently for another couple weeks.
i asked if i should just order, he mentioned to hold off until the announcement of it.

LOL, I saw it up on the site and ordered it, then my order status changed to "on hold". They said there was something in the printed manual they needed to update.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
AEV Procal is a tuner that makes your 6.4L Hemi run on diesel.

I didn’t read anything about that in the link provided.

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road package

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L

I ordered as well... But they shouldnt be posting stuff for sale as in stock if it's not ready yet. That's kind of upsetting...

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I didn’t read anything about that in the link provided.

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road package

I guess I’d have known that too if I had taken the initiative to google search for “AEV ProCal”.

OP
OP
JamesWyatt

JamesWyatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I ordered as well... But they shouldnt be posting stuff for sale as in stock if it's not ready yet. That's kind of upsetting...

If they are like most companies, it's easier to leave it up rather than have to talk to/deal with their web guy, lol.

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Info on thr procal not being available for another couple weeks is wrong. I just got shipping notification and it'll be here August 1st

OP
OP
JamesWyatt

JamesWyatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Info on thr procal not being available for another couple weeks is wrong. I just got shipping notification and it'll be here August 1st

They had told me "a few more days" and that was a few days ago, so good to hear.