2018 Power Wagon on Toyo MT 35x12.5 w/AEV wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JamesWyatt

JamesWyatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I grew up in a PW. My mom had a 1976 Dodge 150 Adventurer, which was the PW back then. It was the first vehicle I ever drove at the age of 6 sitting on my mom's lap. The PW is my all time grail vehicle. She still has hers, but it needs a **** ton of work to restore. Eventually it'll happen and that truck will be in my family till I die.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I understand that. I’d love to have a 70s PW alongside mine!

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Thanks! Do the 1500 and 2500 have different bolt patterns or wheel fitment? I thought the HD Salta was just capable of running the heavier trucks but would work with either. I’m not for sure though — just a guess.
Yes, different bolt pattern between the two trucks, not to mention the 2500 has more bolts. Lol.

AEV still makes some awesome wheels for the 1500 though. They don't make the Salta in a configuration for the 1500

OP
OP
JamesWyatt

JamesWyatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Yes, different bolt pattern between the two trucks, not to mention the 2500 has more bolts. Lol.

AEV still makes some awesome wheels for the 1500 though. They don't make the Salta in a configuration for the 1500

Show how much I have to learn about these trucks! :)

KiltedCelt01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They’re only showing one design for the 1500’s on their website. I searched further for AEV wheels and the design that’s close to the wheels on his Power Wagon are for Wranglers. Son of a...

I wish AEV would make that same wheel for the 1500’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Punishher7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Looks great! I’m patiently waiting for AEV to come out with the new Katlas. The only think that turns me off the Saltas is the trim ring holes. Thinking about the new KM3 for tires but those Toyos look awesome as well!

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Looks great! I’m patiently waiting for AEV to come out with the new Katlas. The only think that turns me off the Saltas is the trim ring holes. Thinking about the new KM3 for tires but those Toyos look awesome as well!

They look bad ass with the trim ring on though. I've got them on mine if you wanna see a complete photo of the set up.

OP
OP
JamesWyatt

JamesWyatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
They look bad ass with the trim ring on though. I've got them on mine if you wanna see a complete photo of the set up.

Please post up a photo of them with the trim rings.

I made the mistake of giving Discount Tire everything that shipped to me from AEV, including the bags of the screws that plug the trim ring threads. They didn’t read the directions to use the starter bolt to thread each one first, so the trim bolts with the flimsy rubber heads got screwed in 3/4 of the way before the Allen wrench would quit turning them — they got the trim bolts partially to almost all the way jammed into three of the wheels before realizing something was wrong. It took me two hours at home to back them all out using needle nose pliers to grab the inside Allen wrench flat spot and the outside and spin then 1/4 turn at a time. Of course, that ruined all the trim ring screws. DT has put a few minor scratches around the bolts, so they agreed to give me a fifth Toyo MT for a full size spare as compensation.

So short story turned long story, I’m trying to decide whether to just order more trim screws from AEV to fill the holes or get the flat covers for all four wheels. My main concern with the covers would be the extra time and/or difficulty to use an Allen wrench on so many little bolts just get the cover off to change a spare.

OP
OP
JamesWyatt

JamesWyatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L

If redesigned Kalta wheels had been available, I would have been all over that.

I thought about the KM3s, but they were on national back order in the sizes I was considering. But given the trouble I had balancing the KO2s and how easily and well the Toyo MTs balanced, I’m glad I went the way I did. BFG seems to be producing a lot of tires that are close to or completely out of round these days; and, if they can’t get it right for an all terrain, I’m afraid to think of the trouble their MT would be.

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Please post up a photo of them with the trim rings.

I made the mistake of giving Discount Tire everything that shipped to me from AEV, including the bags of the screws that plug the trim ring threads. They didn’t read the directions to use the starter bolt to thread each one first, so the trim bolts with the flimsy rubber heads got screwed in 3/4 of the way before the Allen wrench would quit turning them — they got the trim bolts partially to almost all the way jammed into three of the wheels before realizing something was wrong. It took me two hours at home to back them all out using needle nose pliers to grab the inside Allen wrench flat spot and the outside and spin then 1/4 turn at a time. Of course, that ruined all the trim ring screws. DT has put a few minor scratches around the bolts, so they agreed to give me a fifth Toyo MT for a full size spare as compensation.

So short story turned long story, I’m trying to decide whether to just order more trim screws from AEV to fill the holes or get the flat covers for all four wheels. My main concern with the covers would be the extra time and/or difficulty to use an Allen wrench on so many little bolts just get the cover off to change a spare.

No idea if it ever gets cold or wet in your part of NM, but you’re really gonna love taking off those cool looking trim rings when you’re flatted in the dark, up in the mountains, maybe mud or snow on the ground. If you’re really lucky the Allen heads will be packed full of dried mud that you have to pick out before the wrench will go deep enough to not strip them out. Sounds like a lot of fun to me.

OP
OP
JamesWyatt

JamesWyatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
No idea if it ever gets cold or wet in your part of NM, but you’re really gonna love taking off those cool looking trim rings when you’re flatted in the dark, up in the mountains, maybe mud or snow on the ground. If you’re really lucky the Allen heads will be packed full of dried mud that you have to pick out before the wrench will go deep enough to not strip them out. Sounds like a lot of fun to me.

Yeah, see that’s my thoughts exactly. Without the trim ring, the screws were just for filling the holes and aesthetics and don’t interfere with anything. Once you put the trim ring on, it gets complicated. All the things you listed are serious concerns, as is the bolts themselves freezing up in the holes. Add to that, the design of the thin metal Allen holes are surrounded by the rubber bolt heads which provide zero support like a solid metal head would — the result of that is if there is any binding backing them out, the Allen wrench will click-click-click spin around as if it was stripped out. The more I think about it, the more I realize what a bad design the trim ring and bolts are together.

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Honestly, it's not that big a pain in the ass to get them off when changing a flat tire. Had to do that already. Just keep a ratchet style screwdriver with the correct size allen bit in the truck. Yeah, it take a little longer, but in my opinion it s worth it. Chance of anyone stealing my wheels and tires is practically zero. Nobody is gonna spend the time to take each bolt out. And people thing they are safe from getting their **** stolen because they have a bolt with a "key"... Wrong, that "key" can be purchased at any auto part store, Discount Tire, eBay, etc. de07f1127c0a43da7b655973516a4425.jpg

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Yeah, see that’s my thoughts exactly. Without the trim ring, the screws were just for filling the holes and aesthetics and don’t interfere with anything. Once you put the trim ring on, it gets complicated. All the things you listed are serious concerns, as is the bolts themselves freezing up in the holes. Add to that, the design of the thin metal Allen holes are surrounded by the rubber bolt heads which provide zero support like a solid metal head would — the result of that is if there is any binding backing them out, the Allen wrench will click-click-click spin around as if it was stripped out. The more I think about it, the more I realize what a bad design the trim ring and bolts are together.

Rubber bolt heads??? Uhhhh... What are you talking about dude? My bolts are all metal. No rubber on them. Anywhere.

OP
OP
JamesWyatt

JamesWyatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Rubber bolt heads??? Uhhhh... What are you talking about dude? My bolts are all metal. No rubber on them. Anywhere.

I just pulled out a few I had left to check – I was wrong – they're not rubber with metal around the holes, they're solid PLASTIC. They got torn up as I removed them, and in the heat they because almost rubbery. The edges would flex and they tore up badly with the needle nose pliers I had to use to get them out (see story about Discount Tire installing them without threading the holes with the guide bolt).

(edit -->) perhaps the trim rings come with metal bolts, but the wheels come with plastic.

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I just pulled out a few I had left to check – I was wrong – they're not rubber with metal around the holes, they're solid PLASTIC. They got torn up as I removed them, and in the heat they because almost rubbery. The edges would flex and they tore up badly with the needle nose pliers I had to use to get them out (see story about Discount Tire installing them without threading the holes with the guide bolt).

(edit -->) perhaps the trim rings come with metal bolts, but the wheels come with plastic.
Okay, I never had any screws put in the trim ring holes when Discount mounted my tires and all the wheels were shipped to Discount. A week later I had the trim pieces at my door.

OP
OP
JamesWyatt

JamesWyatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Okay, I never had any screws put in the trim ring holes when Discount mounted my tires and all the wheels were shipped to Discount. A week later I had the trim pieces at my door.

Yeah, seems like the wheels themselves each ship with a plastic bag labeled as "Salta HD Wheels (w/out Trim Rings) Hardware Kit" that is loose in the shipping box and outside of the box the wheels are sealed in. These contain plastic bolts and a metal threader.

Did your trim rings come with a bolt threader, too? The holes look like they're already threaded, possibly for the trim ring bolts. I'm wondering if people who use the bolt threader that comes with the plastic "filler" bolts will be ruining the threads for the metal trim ring bolts.

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Yeah, seems like the wheels themselves each ship with a plastic bag labeled as "Salta HD Wheels (w/out Trim Rings) Hardware Kit" that is loose in the shipping box and outside of the box the wheels are sealed in. These contain plastic bolts and a metal threader.

Did your trim rings come with a bolt threader, too?

Nope. Just the screws, washers, trim rings, and allen wrench. Had no issues with the screws going into the holes. The wheels were pre-threaded

OP
OP
JamesWyatt

JamesWyatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Nope. Just the screws, washers, trim rings, and allen wrench. Had no issues with the screws going into the holes. The wheels were pre-threaded

I edited my post as you replied – but it sounds like the wheels ship with threads designed specifically for the metal trim ring bolts. If I had used the included bolt threader (re-threader?) for the plastic bolts, then that would negate ever being able to add the trim rings in the future.

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I edited my post as you replied – but it sounds like the wheels ship with threads designed specifically for the metal trim ring bolts. If I had used the included bolt threader (re-threader?) for the plastic bolts, then that would negate ever being able to add the trim rings in the future.
That's interesting... Kinda weird AEV would make a product like that. Kinda screwed up really if you think about it. No pun intended.

OP
OP
JamesWyatt

JamesWyatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
That's interesting... Kinda weird AEV would make a product like that. Kinda screwed up really if you think about it. No pun intended.

[EDIT] Called AEV. The thread bolt that comes with the plastic bolt kit is only for clearing out the manufacturing debris on the threads, and that's why the plastic bolts got hung up when Discount Tire put them in there without using the threading bolt. Mystery solved.

Last edited: