2018 ram 1500 junk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

armymp1130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Goodevening, i have a 2018 ram 1500 with bilstiens set 2.1 and mevotech UCA’s, 20x12 305/55R20 terra grapplers G2, issue is i had brand new atturos for 3 months and i thought they werent balanced and that no one could balance them so i sold em and just got the nittos last week, balanced perfectly driving home and truck still vibrates at 65 on not crazy but you feel it in seats and center console steering wheel, i cant figure out what is causing this any help would be greatly appreciated.

AD25EE21-445C-4FD3-BFE7-83578CD6047A.jpeg

0F12400E-7DB9-41AD-95C5-A291E043BADB.jpeg

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did I read it correctly you have 20” x 12” rims?

If so, that may be your problem. In the owners manual it states the electric power system on these trucks is VERY sensitive..........

OP
OP
armymp1130

armymp1130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

If so, that may be your problem. In the owners manual it states the electric power system on these trucks is VERY sensitive..........
i do have 20x12 but my issues is the vibration not steering issue

OP
OP
armymp1130

armymp1130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
and also before i got wheels and tires at 5000 miles the upper balljoints starting popping out and then my passenger side hub starting going so dodge replaced it and now at 10000 miles that same hub is going again

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Are 20x12s too much for these trucks to handle that it’s a common problem with them?

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i do have 20x12 but my issues is the vibration not steering issue

I get that but in your original post you stated feeling the vibration in the seat, center console and steering wheel.

After swapping tires the problem still exists? From the info you’ve shared the common denominator seems to be the rims. What offset/backspacing are they? I’d also be suspect that you have now ruined a second hub in such a short time.

And one more thing, these type issues sometimes rear their ugly head when you go outside manufacturers guidelines.........per Nitto the approved rim width for a 305/55/20 is 8.5”-11”. Your tire size and rim combo seem to be the issue.

Just trying to help ya buddy

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are 20x12s too much for these trucks to handle that it’s a common problem with them?
I don’t know that to be true but 12” wide rims can be troublesome for just about any vehicle not designed for them, especially things like hubs/wheel bearings and ball joints. Offset and backspacing play a huge roll (for any size rim for that matter)...........

OP
OP
armymp1130

armymp1130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
-51 offset but i had a 2015 ram 1500 and same level 2.1 and put almost 50000 miles on the truck with 35x12.5 tires on a 20x12 rim and never had any issues

OP
OP
armymp1130

armymp1130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I get that but in your original post you stated feeling the vibration in the seat, center console and steering wheel.

After swapping tires the problem still exists? From the info you’ve shared the common denominator seems to be the rims. What offset/backspacing are they? I’d also be suspect that you have now ruined a second hub in such a short time.

And one more thing, these type issues sometimes rear their ugly head when you go outside manufacturers guidelines.........per Nitto the approved rim width for a 305/55/20 is 8.5”-11”. Your tire size and rim combo seem to be the issue.

Just trying to help ya buddy
and yes problem still exists but when factory wheels and tires are on truck it still vibrates but not as noticable so i dont think its wheels except the extra weight making it more noticable.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
and yes problem still exists but when factory wheels and tires are on truck it still vibrates but not as noticable so i dont think its wheels except the extra weight making it more noticable.

Hmmm, we’ll if the vibration is still there with the factory rim/tire combo then that would rule out the aftermarket rims as the culprit other than amplifying an existing issue.

So let’s go back to what may be a culprit........what’s causing the hub to keep going out in such a short time.

Where the other shade tree mechanics at?!

HDHNTER

US AIR FORCE VETERAN OEF - OIF
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
FYI:

"Ram is recalling 10,160 pickups built for the 2018 and 2019 model years, because the driveshaft may fall off. That would be bad. The recall involves the previous-generation truck. Specifically, some units of the normal 2018 Ram 1500 and some of the 2019 Ram 1500 Classic. In Ram-speak, "Classic" means the previous-generation truck that's sold alongside the all-new version for 2019.

The trucks involved were built in a month-long time period in 2018, and Ram has identified the problematic driveshafts by part number. Apparently, the rear driveshaft may "have an incomplete weld fusion between the tube and tube yoke, which may lead to weld cracking or the driveshaft fracturing," according to the recall documents. This could cause the driveshaft to drop off the vehicle, and cause you to lose drive power (among other hazards involved with a driveshaft falling off a truck). At this point, FCA says it's not aware of any accidents or injuries related to the problem. However, it has seen eight occurrences of the driveshafts breaking, prompting this voluntary safety recall. Ram says that an extra noise or vibration could signal that the driveshaft is on the way out.

FCA is going to start notifying owners about the recall in mid-June. When you take your truck in, the dealer will replace your driveshaft with one verified to have complete weld fusion. It will, of course, be free of charge to the owners of the affected vehicles."

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/05/31/recall-ram-1500-classic-driveshaft/

Reactions: JB1
OP
OP
armymp1130

armymp1130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmmm, we’ll if the vibration is still there with the factory rim/tire combo then that would rule out the aftermarket rims as the culprit other than amplifying an existing issue.

So let’s go back to what may be a culprit........what’s causing the hub to keep going out in such a short time.

Where the other shade tree mechanics at?!
The dealer replaced passenger side hub in january because it was leaking grease and then drivers side started doing same thing and they said that its supposed to but i ask why did you replace the other one. so now the passenger side is leaking grease again, but im wondering if they didnt torque the axle nut down or if townfair isnt aligning my truck right and its slowing putting more pressure on the hubs? can i have my truck aligned with factory wheels and then put my aftermarket ones on?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes U can, but then U would prob need a new alignment... just saying,,,,, don't beat me up... Because U are changing everything when U put the other rims on, etc..

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The dealer replaced passenger side hub in january because it was leaking grease and then drivers side started doing same thing and they said that its supposed to but i ask why did you replace the other one. so now the passenger side is leaking grease again, but im wondering if they didnt torque the axle nut down or if townfair isnt aligning my truck right and its slowing putting more pressure on the hubs? can i have my truck aligned with factory wheels and then put my aftermarket ones on?
Last time I checked my hubs don’t leak a spec of grease.........going on 93k miles now.

You could very well have an alignment issue but I suspect if it was bad enough to burn up the hubs you have some pretty bad tire wear.

And for the alignment, I’d get it done with the rims & tires you want to run.

OP
OP
armymp1130

armymp1130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i mean i put 4000 miles on the last tires and they werent cupped or worn

OP
OP
armymp1130

armymp1130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last time I checked my hubs don’t leak a spec of grease.........going on 93k miles now.

You could very well have an alignment issue but I suspect if it was bad enough to burn up the hubs you have some pretty bad tire wear.

And for the alignment, I’d get it done with the rims & tires you want to run.
thats why im wondering if they just didnt torque the hub very good

OP
OP
armymp1130

armymp1130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so i tokk the cv axle out and the non wheel side is wicked loose its not tight at all is that okay?

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
so i tokk the cv axle out and the non wheel side is wicked loose its not tight at all is that okay?

CV joints shouldn't be loose. I think you found your problem. There should be some play in & out a bit, but if it is loose like you are describing, that would cause the vibration at the upper speeds.