2018 ram 1500 with 8.4 uconnect delamination

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Amt4331

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 - Gas
Same problem. Called UConnect. The person who answered asked for my info. Verified I have 31,000 miles but my 2018 big horn is out of the 3 years… Told me the problem is not common nor is it a known issue and the dealer may be able to fix it and I will have to pay. Don’t even know what to expect to pay yet as I can’t get it into the dealer until next week. My biggest concern isn’t the annoying dinging and the “Do you want to adjust you clock setting” popping up, but the temps tire of the screen. My screen temp is in excess of 140 degrees, which is likely the cause of this, and is quite concerning. Anyone know who would be best to contact? 2018 Ram Big Horn. 31,*** miles. Bought certified preowned.

Attachments

• D6881287-F13C-40D1-9899-12124D9EE4AA.png
    D6881287-F13C-40D1-9899-12124D9EE4AA.png
    625.4 KB · Views: 8

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had the same problem with my 2018 CPO BigHorn this past summer. RamCares wouldn’t do anything for me but my local dealer (didn’t purchase truck from them) did a good faith replacement because it was a CPO vehicle. I was within the three year window but had 40k miles. It did cost me $100 for the replacement and the replacement radio was a refurbished unit with the newer version improved LG updated panel. So while I got a used radio it does have the improved screen. Try the dealer and showing them it’s a CPO vehicle.

Svorhess

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Same issue here, 2018, thankfully I purchased an extended warranty, new one being installed Feb 3rd.

Ram1972

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Hey new to the forum here. I purchased a 2018 ram 1500 big horn with the 8.4 uconnect system. The screen is now halfway delaminated and going crazy on its own. Tried the dealer and tried ram cares on here. I've been told so far to bite the bullet and pay a grand to fix this problem that I am sure they know is on their end. The truck is out of warranty due to mileage so warranty is being refused and local dealer claim they never see this. ( jeff wyler in Springfield are crooks unfortunately). If I go the infotainment route (I will not give the dealer or ram another dollar of my money) will I retain the uconnect features?
These 8.4 unconnect screens should be on recall by dodge. I'm puzzled into why they aren't

Plainbroke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2018 is doing it too, just noticed tonight. I just bought this in the last month as a certified pre owned truck so I am going to go back and hound the selling dealer for a replacement. No way am I paying to replace something that was "supposedly checked out" and deemed in good condition..

RJL1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Had the same problem this past summer. Radio started changes stations on its own, then in the middle of an awful heat wave started turning the AC on and off and manipulating the temperature control.

Had it replaced under an extended warranty that I thankfully paid for when I purchased this truck in June of 2020.

brett s

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine started delaminating & making inputs on it's own - I pulled the digitizer off & cleaned off the adhesive goop with alcohol, stuck it back on with double-sided mounting tape. So far so good - it's a bit more reflective now but for an hour or two of time & a bit of tape the price was right. Mine was out of warranty of course.

There are a bunch of Youtube videos out there showing the process, it wasn't that bad - just messy.

And yeah, these really should have been handled better by Ram since it's so common & clearly a defect. A warranty extension if not a recall.

2018HarvestRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7Hemi
My 2018 Harvest Edition is doing the same thing, Screen is delaminating and the stereo system goes haywire for no apparent reason. The first time it did it, I could put my finger over the screen (not touching it) and it would change stations or bands but also doing it all by itself! This past Saturday it literally went nuts, running through every pre-set station I had on AM, FM and XM, randomly called people from my phone and even called an SOS distress call 3 times! The system becomes totally useless until it stops on its own, which it finally did after about an hour!