2018 ram 2500 6.4 hemi transmission issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Billy Orr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
This is my first post here and hopefully somebody's got some opinion that helps...

I purchased brand new a 2018 2500 ram Crew cab 6.4 hemi gas.
Has the 66 rfe trans 6speed. At 80,000 miles transmission took a dump. Went to ram dealership paid over $4,000 to have a Chrysler rebuild kit put in and it came with a 2-year unlimited mile warranty. Got 8,000 miles out of it transmission took a dump again. Been sitting at the dealership for 2 months and they say they can't look at it till September 6th. Have already filed a claim with ram and they say because of covid-19 hard to get parts short on labor there's nothing they can do. Any advice?

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
had you ever changed the fluid or filters in that 80k ? the book says change at 60k towing and 120k not towing. if you wait for 120k under any conditions i think your only setting yourself up for failure. 60k not towing sounds like a reasonable number. likely i wont even let mine go to 60k but im more vigorous about maintenance than most people

Partshawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
had you ever changed the fluid or filters in that 80k ? the book says change at 60k towing and 120k not towing. if you wait for 120k under any conditions i think your only setting yourself up for failure. 60k not towing sounds like a reasonable number. likely i wont even let mine go to 60k but im more vigorous about maintenance than most people
The problem is servicing the transmission involved changing the pan altogether and RAM dealers charge about $600 for the pan, $25 for each quart of fluid, and $1000 for labor. It's a $2K expense to service the tranny.

BlkZrx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 SLT Std. cab
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I purchase all the fluids/filters for my 2500 myself and have my independent mechanic take care it. Last full transmission service was less then $600.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The problem is servicing the transmission involved changing the pan altogether and RAM dealers charge about $600 for the pan, $25 for each quart of fluid, and $1000 for labor. It's a $2K expense to service the tranny.
The 66RFE that the OP is referring to does not have to have the trans pan replaced during service. All RFE transmissions have a removable pan that gets cleaned and reinstalled after replacing both the sump filter and the cooler return filter.

The transmission that you are referring to is the ZF 8HPXX series of transmissions where the transmission filter is part of the pan. If you are buying OEM style parts, especially from Mopar, then the pan can get expensive if you do not do your research and find the best price.

There are aftermarket pans available that have the filter separate so you do not have to replace the pan during a service.