2018 RAM Security Module Bypass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SaxCatz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM 1500 QC
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L V6
@SaxCatz
Not sure when you've been checking, but you must be barely missing them each time they're in stock. (Several went out last week).
Check the site later tonight/tomorrow. Should be more up by then.

Please keep in mind, Deereguy and I work regular jobs as well and usually get to everyone in a fairly timely manner... For most people the quality is worth it.
Also see... Deereguy Status Update.

Mike G.

M² Mods.
(via Tapatalk App)

Thanks! Checked again tonight and they were available so I placed my order. :) Sorry to come off as impatient, I was just frustrated with my current bypass and, as you noted, I must've just had bad timing as I checked several times over the last 6 months and they were out of stock each time so I assumed that they had been out of stock the entire time. Your assistance was much appreciated.

Noob2Trucks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I was able to order one on the second also!

My old ScanGauge doesn't work on the new truck, I'm curious to see if it's because of the security. Also want to try out some of the simpler alpha one stuff.

Jason Lubeck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tried going on the kaodtech website for the security bypass harness but the option for a 2018 1500 was not highlighted. I'm assuming that means they are not in stock. Is there any other vendor for a bypass module for use with AlfaOBD?

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Tried going on the kaodtech website for the security bypass harness but the option for a 2018 1500 was not highlighted. I'm assuming that means they are not in stock. Is there any other vendor for a bypass module for use with AlfaOBD?

After I bought mine from Kaodtech, I found one on amazon but I can't seem to find it now. Sorry

This is one from ebay but not sure where those two leads go
https://www.ebay.com/itm/313340359848?hash=item48f48a74a8:g:E~sAAOSw9IZf1xxk

Pluther71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
Now taking orders for RAM Security Module Bypass Harnesses. If you have a 2018 RAM or a 2019 RAM Classic and would like to perform diagnostics or make changes to the modules of your truck using tools like AlfaOBD or AutoEngenuity, this bypass is for you. Cost of the bypass is $55.

In order to facility the ordering of the bypass, I have created a website for the orders. Please visit www.securitymodulebypass.com to order a bypass.

View attachment 408311

FAQ

Does this allow access to all modules?

It has been tested connecting to the BCM and RFH. Since it bypasses the security module for both the CAN C and CAN IHS, almost all modules should be good. The one exception is the radio. The radio does not directly connect to the either CAN of the truck, it is hung off of a DMZ on the security module to protect the truck's CAN in case the radio would be comprised via the 4G cellular functionality.

Does this work with 1500, 2500, 3500, etc?
There are two different versions. One for the 1500s, and one for 2500s and up.

How long does it take to install and is the install permanent?
It take about 5 - 10 minutes to install. Installation instructions will be provided with your purchase. It can be removed in the same amount of time. The factory OBD2 port can be put back in place in less than 2 minutes without any tools.

What programs have been tested with the bypass?
At this point, AutoEngenuity, AlfaOBD, and Autel have been used with the bypass.

Should I leave the bypass installed at all times?
That is up to you. Installing the bypass does make the truck less secure by enabling the OBD2 port for use with diagnostic and configuration utilities not provided or authorized by FCA. That being said, the harness rewires the truck to be just like all previous model year RAMs. I would recommend that you remove the bypass before taking it to a dealer.

Can I use this on multiple trucks?
Yes. We have sold several of these already to dealers and third party shops who work on RAM trucks.
Do I need this in order to use an AlfaOBD on a 2017 Ram 2500?

Thanks.

18GSMRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can anyone confirm if the security bypass module works with HPTuners MPVI2?

DonRam240

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Regarding when the bypass is needed, or not? Can AlfaOBD be used to coilect live data while driving, and then capture the associated freeze frame data, without the cable? As long as no data input or resetting or code clearing is done?
2018 Ram 3500 HD pickup, Cummins 6.7L, Aisin trans.
Thanks
DonRam240

DonRam240

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Regarding when the bypass is needed, or not? Can AlfaOBD be used to coilect live data while driving, and then capture the associated freeze frame data, without the cable? As long as no data input or resetting or code clearing is done?
2018 Ram 3500 HD pickup, Cummins 6.7L, Aisin trans.
Thanks
DonRam240
Still hoping someone can comment on the question in my Sept 8 post above. Thanks.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
I went to the website and they are out so they are on back order, bummer.

Keifus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Still hoping someone can comment on the question in my Sept 8 post above. Thanks.
I honestly don’t think so I’ve tried with my Alfa OBD on Android and my laptop but couldn’t find live data now don’t get me wrong alfaobd is awesome you can get all kinds of info about your truck and no you don’t need the cable for that or live data the cable is for only making changes to your settings. But if your looking for something just for live data while your driving I use ScanMaster on my laptop and android or infocar on android No need for the bypass. I hope this helps you out.

Saul68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does anyone have an idea when they will be in stock again?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
@DeereGuy is currently out of the country for work... I think he may be back next week.

Last edited:

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Okay thank you sir, I will wait until he get back.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Yep, I have one coming this is the only thing I'm waiting on I have everything else.

korpun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi,

I have Ram 1500 manufactured in December 2017 as per the tag When I connect to Body Computer in Alpha OBD, it connects to Module MY 2018-2019. When I try to make any change, it says "no data received from ECU/Interface..." (see screenshots attached)
Does it mean that I need to purchase the bypass module to have these changes done? Will it work only with this module?
Screenshot_20211108-123632_AlfaOBD.jpg

minoshde

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2021 ram 1500 classic, I was looking to install these Alpharex headlights but I heard that for some model years I need to do a bypass….do I need to do it?