2018 RAM Security Module Bypass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Noob2Trucks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Not sure if this has been covered already. I read a lot of the thread, but not all of it. I used the harness and AlfaOBD to do the auto-window down and activate the factory alarm. I'm waiting on the tuner from HP Tuners. They supply a bypass depending on what you order so I have one coming. I'm going to wait and see if the Kaodtech one works first. It the cable works I'll report back so others won't have to buy HP Tuners cable.

Noob2Trucks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ok, this is turning into a saga, lol. HP Tuners just canceled my ECU order. Apparently, they don't have them in stock even though they still are taking orders on their page.:rolleyes: I'm now ordering one and once that arrives I'll be sending it out to them to unlock it. I'm also waiting because when you buy an MVPI2+ and the credits you get one free dodge ECU unlock, but the discount applies when you order the ECU unlock and everything together on the order. I obviously can't do that now.

Positive note. I was able to pull the stock read through the bypass harness. As I understand it, if it wasn't correct the HP Tuners module wouldn't have connected at all!

Noob2Trucks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Apparently, ECUs (at least for my part number) are the holy grail and out of stock everywhere. I'm going to have to bite the bullet and send mine in to be unlocked. I'm going to ship UPS 2nd day and cross my fingers. If they lose it, I'll have it insured, but not sure how I'll replace it.

18GSMRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Apparently, ECUs (at least for my part number) are the holy grail and out of stock everywhere. I'm going to have to bite the bullet and send mine in to be unlocked. I'm going to ship UPS 2nd day and cross my fingers. If they lose it, I'll have it insured, but not sure how I'll replace it.
Get a used one off eBay, they are plentiful

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
They made these trucks for so many years. There is a bunch in the salvage yards

Last edited:

dstock

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks like the Security Bypass cable is out of stock again, has anyone tried any other options?

Last edited:

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can anyone confirm if one of these is required to get AlfaOBD to even CONNECT to the body computer? I know it is to PROGRAM. I have an ELM327 from Facebook that I am trying to confirm WORKS before I go any farther, and it works for Torque, but Alfa always has a CAN error. '18 Rebel if it matters.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Can anyone confirm if one of these is required to get AlfaOBD to even CONNECT to the body computer? I know it is to PROGRAM. I have an ELM327 from Facebook that I am trying to confirm WORKS before I go any farther, and it works for Torque, but Alfa always has a CAN error. '18 Rebel if it matters.
Yes. All 2018+ trucks have a security Gateway and need a Security Gateway Bypass to be able to connect any aftermarket obd tools to the truck and make any changes....

Also ditch the cheap elm327 adapter and get the recommended OBDLink MX BT adapter. It's just not worth the headaches trying to figure out why something's not working when u make changes.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes. All 2018+ trucks have a security Gateway and need a Security Gateway Bypass to be able to connect any aftermarket obd tools to the truck and make any changes....

Also ditch the cheap elm327 adapter and get the recommended OBDLink MX BT adapter. It's just not worth the headaches trying to figure out why something's not working when u make changes.
My question was more "can I SEE anything with out the security bypass". I know I need it to Program.

Rickmartin2nd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a security bypass for my Diablosport platinum tuner/monitor. Would Alph OBD also have access with this same bypass or are they software specific? Please advice thanks. Rick

Plainbroke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So What all do I have to get to use the AlfaOBD Program from my laptop.
I downloaded the program but it looks like I have to purchase it to even try it out.
What all do I need to purchase to use this AlfaOBD Program to turn on or off different options on my 2018 Sport ?????? Very new to all this. Was used to tuners in the past that you just plugged in and set what ever options where possible..

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My question was more "can I SEE anything with out the security bypass". I know I need it to Program.
Yes, you can see things. It lets you write.
If you can see everything... I never tested it.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have a security bypass for my Diablosport platinum tuner/monitor. Would Alph OBD also have access with this same bypass or are they software specific? Please advice thanks. Rick
Not software specific.
I have HP cable, Z auto cable, Z auto module.
I've used them all of them. You are bypassing the security module of the Truck.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
So What all do I have to get to use the AlfaOBD Program from my laptop.
I downloaded the program but it looks like I have to purchase it to even try it out.
What all do I need to purchase to use this AlfaOBD Program to turn on or off different options on my 2018 Sport ?????? Very new to all this. Was used to tuners in the past that you just plugged in and set what ever options where possible..

** AlfaOBD (for activating factory features yourself. See Docs & videos linked in OP to get started.

---> OBDLink MX BT adapter

---> KaodTech Security Gateway Bypass

Plainbroke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mpgrimm2 do you think this SGB would work instead of the KaodTech one? it is cheaper and it has a second connection for my Edge Guage Cluster.

Never Mind it has extremely expensive shipping.. Liked the idea of the second connection.

Last edited: