2018 Uconnect Delaminating, Now Malfunctioning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjol7478

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I see some other posts on here about delaminating. I let it go for a while because there was no performance issues. Now as of writing this the Uconnect system will repeatedly press a button on it's own (picture attached.) It makes it impossible to do anything with the system.

I would like to repair this or maybe @RamCares can help. I purchased the extended warranty when I bought this truck from the Ram dealer in October 2018 so I don't know if it's still covered. Anyone had this issue? Any suggestions? Is there a hard reboot etc i can try to at least use the radio before I work on a replacement?

uconnect.jpg

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hello Kjol7478,

Thank you for reaching out to us directly. Can you please send us a PM with your VIN, we'd be happy to look into this further for you.

William
Ram Cares

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I see some other posts on here about delaminating. I let it go for a while because there was no performance issues. Now as of writing this the Uconnect system will repeatedly press a button on it's own (picture attached.) It makes it impossible to do anything with the system.

I would like to repair this or maybe @RamCares can help. I purchased the extended warranty when I bought this truck from the Ram dealer in October 2018 so I don't know if it's still covered. Anyone had this issue? Any suggestions? Is there a hard reboot etc i can try to at least use the radio before I work on a replacement?

View attachment 500003
Sorry, no soft fixes for this. Strictly hardware.

Jh0212

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know there are links and videos all over here for replacing the digitizer (the glue has delaminated in my '18 1500 with a very distinguishable bubble... it's terrible in humid mornings (ghosting, etc), but seems to stop that annoyance later in the morning), but is it also possible to pull any 8.4 lcd from any CDJR (2015(?) through 2019, or...???) head unit in the boneyard? Granted, the issue could possibly resurrect itself down the road, but I figure if I can simply just remove the front screen and talk down the counter guys, maybe it's worth it, instead of going the "de-gooping" route...??

IF that's the case, can someone confirm what years and models are likely to have a compatible 8.4 lcd? Thanks!

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I know there are links and videos all over here for replacing the digitizer (the glue has delaminated in my '18 1500 with a very distinguishable bubble... it's terrible in humid mornings (ghosting, etc), but seems to stop that annoyance later in the morning), but is it also possible to pull any 8.4 lcd from any CDJR (2015(?) through 2019, or...???) head unit in the boneyard? Granted, the issue could possibly resurrect itself down the road, but I figure if I can simply just remove the front screen and talk down the counter guys, maybe it's worth it, instead of going the "de-gooping" route...??

IF that's the case, can someone confirm what years and models are likely to have a compatible 8.4 lcd? Thanks!
No, only 2018+ 8.4 radios wit LA084X01 SL01/SL02/SL03 screens are compatible. You want the LA084X01 SL03 part number to be free from the delamination issues (I'm told, I haven't tried the latest revision myself).

PJwon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have 2018 ram with same delamination issue. It was covered by warranty. Otherwise, it was a 1600. Bill to insurance company. Had it replaced today.

MarylandHawk100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Turbo Diesel
I have the same issue with my 2018 Ram 1500. Suggest you order and replace the digitizer yourself and don't try to peel the screen apart and clean it out. You have to be very careful and it fails to work for some people.
The digitizer cost about $330 from eBay. The part number is: LA084X01(SL)(01) or 4 4C UAQ UAS LA084X01(SL)(02) Touch Screen Glass for 17-20 Ram. Yes, it costs a bit but it is much cheaper than the $1000-1700 that the dealer will charge you.
Below is a link to a pretty good Youtube video on how to do it yourself.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have the same issue with my 2018 Ram 1500. Suggest you order and replace the digitizer yourself and don't try to peel the screen apart and clean it out. You have to be very careful and it fails to work for some people.
The digitizer cost about $330 from eBay. The part number is: LA084X01(SL)(01) or 4 4C UAQ UAS LA084X01(SL)(02) Touch Screen Glass for 17-20 Ram. Yes, it costs a bit but it is much cheaper than the $1000-1700 that the dealer will charge you.
Below is a link to a pretty good Youtube video on how to do it yourself.
That is not the digitizer but the whole screen assembly (digitizer and LCD). I also recommend using the latest SL03 revised part that is supposed to be free of the delamination defect.

Jh0212

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, I'm looking to see which year(s) and or model(s) CDJR would have the entire, "intact" 8.4 lcd + digitizer that I could possibly cannabalize out of a head unit from a junkyard. I've found a '19 charger, a 300 and a Cherokee that, by the looks of it, have an 8.4 screen (I'll obviously keep all my boards, etc... by looks of the various videos, looks like 2 ribbon bands and the wifi antenna are the only connections...?)

MarylandHawk100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Turbo Diesel
Follow up to my previous post from 9 Sep.
Got the LCD/digitizer in the mail ($350) and installed this weekend. First time was a bit rough. I didn't get the mother board properly seated/connected to the circuit board below it, so it didn't power up when I restarted the truck.
The Youtube video was very helpful but his 2017 Ram 1500 has a different front panel than my 2018. It was a challenge to remove because the 2018 version has two screws in the bottom that have to be removed before you can get the cover off.
Be very careful when you disconnect the LCD from the rest of the radio. There are spacers in the radio to hold the circuit boards apart, and they fell off, into the radio, when I opened and titled it. Lots of fun trying to fish those out!
Recommend you be sure to hold the assembly tightly together after you remove the screws on the LCD, then turn it over and lay it flat on your work bench before you lift off the LCD. Don't tilt it to the side.
Once I removed the radio/LCD the 2nd time I was careful to reseat the connection to the motherboard on the LCD and it worked as soon as I started the truck.
Man the LCD was a mess. Melted glue all over. No wonder the radio was failing. How is this not a Ram recall item?!?
Highly recommend this fix. The dealer wanted $1200-1500 to put in a new radio. Saved about $1000 for a couple of hours of work.
Just hope it keeps working good thru the next hot summer.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is an issue with the original LG Screens. The -02 I don't think has been around long enough.

I pulled my digitizer off, and cleaned the goop off myself. It wasn't fun. And about 6 weeks later, I got a 3/16" black bar going from top to bottom. Gets a little better when the truck cools down (North Carolina is still toasty right now.)

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
@RamCares hooked me up and got mine replaced free of charge on my 18 laramie. I did not have an extended warranty and dealer wanted $1200 to replace.

RamHemi18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
RamCares wouldnt help me. Dealer wouldnt help me. The screen looks like crap but is still functional for now. I will replace with a complete screen and digitizer when the time comes. Looks like they are coming down in price again which is nice.

RJL1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just had the same exact thing you're experiencing. Had my radio replaced under the extended warranty I purchased when I bought the truck used in 2020.

sgrossi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am an avid Ram owner (we own 4 Dodge Ram's).
Having issues with my electronic system for our 2018 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn.
Screen bubble, the radio jumps stations, it will automatically start calling random individuals on my phone, it will automatically mute conversations while I am driving, etc. This is a safety concern for myself as I do a lot of driving and make a ton of phone calls while driving as a mobile office. How can I resolve this problem?

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I am an avid Ram owner (we own 4 Dodge Ram's).
Having issues with my electronic system for our 2018 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn.
Screen bubble, the radio jumps stations, it will automatically start calling random individuals on my phone, it will automatically mute conversations while I am driving, etc. This is a safety concern for myself as I do a lot of driving and make a ton of phone calls while driving as a mobile office. How can I resolve this problem?
Sgrossi,

Please send us a PM with your VIN and mileage, we'd be happy to look into this further for you.

William
Ram Cares

deros15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That is not the digitizer but the whole screen assembly (digitizer and LCD). I also recommend using the latest SL03 revised part that is supposed to be free of the delamination defect.
I just began to experience this same issue. Screen starting to sporadically act up and I have the laminate finish coming off. I was able to find the "SLO3" version here. https://www.ebay.com/itm/324916320246 (the picture says SL02 but the item number and description are SLO3 which I confirmed with them)

Hopefully this solves the issue forever.

Jh0212

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Finally replaced my entire digitizer/ lcd assembly last night with an ebay unit. The one I removed from my '18 Ram was an SL 01, which had a bubble covering nearly 50% of the screen area, to the extent that it was ghosting without the previously experienced humid conditions.

The replacement unit is an SL 02, so we'll see how that shakes out, but even the prior SL 01 took maybe 2+ years before anything started happening (maybe 4 years before I got to the point of nearly putting my fist through the screen lol... see, how is that NOT a safety recall?)

Yep, follow that previously referenced YouTube (don't forget the Torx head inside that passenger side "pocket", above the power outlet, to remove the panel). I took my time, but everything went back together without issue (so far).

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Finally replaced my entire digitizer/ lcd assembly last night with an ebay unit. The one I removed from my '18 Ram was an SL 01, which had a bubble covering nearly 50% of the screen area, to the extent that it was ghosting without the previously experienced humid conditions.

The replacement unit is an SL 02, so we'll see how that shakes out, but even the prior SL 01 took maybe 2+ years before anything started happening (maybe 4 years before I got to the point of nearly putting my fist through the screen lol... see, how is that NOT a safety recall?)

Yep, follow that previously referenced YouTube (don't forget the Torx head inside that passenger side "pocket", above the power outlet, to remove the panel). I took my time, but everything went back together without issue (so far).
I believe you can stave off the delamination on an SL02 by upgrading the thermal pass in the radio. Since you've already been in it it shouldn't be too daunting...

MountaineerRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Finally had to replace my SL01 with an SL03 ordered on eBay. After two years of delaminating the hotter summer days brought excessive false touches. Seat heaters randomly on, backup camera on, SOS called 911 even.

It still bothers me that Ram won’t own up to with this since it is clearly a manufacturing flaw with no reasonable customer workaround. It’s insult to injury that they won’t sell a replace screen without buying a whole radio. Mine started delaminating just a few months out of warranty with only 28000 miles. Tried dealer and RamCares with no success.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45