2019 HD Tail lights in a 4th gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roman217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks like I will need to enable the settings in the BCM in my truck and see if the my cluster supports the options since mine is a 2015. The results look pretty promising so far though.

Out of curiosity, where are you pulling the power from for the modules?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Looks like I will need to enable the settings in the BCM in my truck and see if the my cluster supports the options since mine is a 2015. The results look pretty promising so far though.

For mine, I went with the rear camera’s run relay control at the in-line chassis/tailgate connector.

Roman217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For mine, I went with the rear camera’s run relay control at the in-line chassis/tailgate connector.
That definitely makes it easy to pull the power for testing. At this point I'm on the hunt for tail lights and that will hopefully get easier as more of these get wrecked.

I have a big list of things to check when I get home in a week. I need to take a multimeter to the BSM outputs on the PDC to see if they switch with ignition, whether they work only once the sensors have been enabled in the BCM, or if they even work at all.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

superjoe83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

My truck has the AUX switches, so I have a ignition power wire connecton right next to the steering column.
I used cat6 ethernet cable since it was a easy and cheap way to get twisted pair wiring, I wouldn't think that would cause my communication issue? What do you guys think?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My truck has the AUX switches, so I have a ignition power wire connecton right next to the steering column.
I used cat6 ethernet cable since it was a easy and cheap way to get twisted pair wiring, I wouldn't think that would cause my communication issue? What do you guys think?
That cable should be fine. I used all 24awg twisted pair when I added push button start, so I’m using the leftover for this.

Roman217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wouldn't think so, I think cat6 has max length of 100m for network applications so I doubt you're getting signal loss at such a short distance. I wouldn't use it permanently since I don't know how well it will handle constant vibrations. Stranded cat6 would probably be fine but definitely wouldn't use solid outside of testing.

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I just did another round of testing with better results, actually the same results as @superjoe83. The disappointing thing is, I can also duplicate the same results without anything hooked up. In other words, anybody with a 7” cluster without the tail lights can enable all the blind spot settings and get the messages on the cluster and same errors we are, leading me to believe the sensors aren’t communicating or having any effect at all. Superjoe83, are you able to check either of the boxes for the blind spot settings in the radio, or do they uncheck themselves?

4gSgrWH.jpg

TqLDmV7.jpg

Then these two are the most puzzling. Started out with clear modules-

yo7iK40.jpg

N2oJKAo.jpg

OP
OP
S

superjoe83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just did another round of testing with better results, actually the same results as @superjoe83. The disappointing thing is, I can also duplicate the same results without anything hooked up. In other words, anybody with a 7” cluster without the tail lights can enable all the blind spot settings and get the messages on the cluster and same errors we are, leading me to believe the sensors aren’t communicating or having any effect at all. Superjoe83, are you able to check either of the boxes for the blind spot settings in the radio, or do they uncheck themselves?

4gSgrWH.jpg

TqLDmV7.jpg

Then these two are the most puzzling. Started out with clear modules-

yo7iK40.jpg

N2oJKAo.jpg
When I just enabled the right sensor I got no codes, and that I was able to communicate with the right sensor leads me to believe that it may work, but since either my left light is faulty or maybe this might not work. Do either of you guys have a left taillight that you can hook up to the can lines and just enable the left sensor and see if you can talk to it. I don't want to buy another left light hoping that it will work when it may not at all. My main goal was getting the lights working in a 4th gen. The blindspot stuff was a bonus. But I'm still interested in how your trucks respond

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just think its a lot of work for a light but hey if you got time on your hands. Go for it

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
When I just enabled the right sensor I got no codes, and that I was able to communicate with the right sensor leads me to believe that it may work, but since either my left light is faulty or maybe this might not work. Do either of you guys have a left taillight that you can hook up to the can lines and just enable the left sensor and see if you can talk to it. I don't want to buy another left light hoping that it will work when it may not at all. My main goal was getting the lights working in a 4th gen. The blindspot stuff was a bonus. But I'm still interested in how your trucks respond
I’ve been watching car-part and eBay religiously waiting for a left to pop up. They’re all 1500s or ones with the black sensor, though (the right that I have is red). I’m gonna hold out another week or two and just buy a new one if I have to. I’m definitely getting one with the sensor in hopes that this can work, even if we have to get the AlfaOBD developer involved.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I need to take a multimeter to the BSM outputs on the PDC to see if they switch with ignition, whether they work only once the sensors have been enabled in the BCM, or if they even work at all.

After looking over connector views for the 2019 HDs, the run relay control circuit F923 that the blind spot sensors use is, in fact, the same circuit at the PDC that the park assist module and backup camera uses. The same is true for pre-2019 rams. I’d say it’s now safe to assume the sensors just need a power source that’s always hot when the truck is on.

Another side note: turns out my transfer case faults were a huge coincidence. I hit some bumps while driving last night, and I would briefly see “4x4 shift in progress” flash on the EVIC a few times. Loose connection near the trans. I drive through a car wash that does under body spray pretty much every day, so that might have done it. At least I can finally chalk those faults up as completely unrelated.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After looking over connector views for the 2019 HDs, the run relay control circuit F923 that the blind spot sensors use is, in fact, the same circuit at the PDC that the park assist module and backup camera uses. The same is true for pre-2019 rams. I’d say it’s now safe to assume the sensors just need a power source that’s always hot when the truck is on.

Another side note: turns out my transfer case faults were a huge coincidence. I hit some bumps while driving last night, and I would briefly see “4x4 shift in progress” flash on the EVIC a few times. Loose connection near the trans. I drive through a car wash that does under body spray pretty much every day, so that might have done it. At least I can finally chalk those faults up as completely unrelated.

Ive seen the references to blind spot in the 1500 wiring diagrams. Ive even seen reference to a blind spot light in some of the chrome capped mirrors.

Will this in fact work for a 1500 as well? I checked all of the option catalogs and never saw blind spot available for the 4th gen 1500s, would be crazy if it could be added even with some work.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I don't know if anyone follows JJ (Retroshop) on any social media forms but he already has a prototype harness to adapt the 5th gen HD tails to 4th gens. I don't believe he added the blind spot function. Probably 2 days ago he posted some pic's of the tails on a 4th gen saying he was testing a adapter harness

2018 2500 6.4L Tradesman

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ive seen the references to blind spot in the 1500 wiring diagrams. Ive even seen reference to a blind spot light in some of the chrome capped mirrors.

Will this in fact work for a 1500 as well? I checked all of the option catalogs and never saw blind spot available for the 4th gen 1500s, would be crazy if it could be added even with some work.
That’s what we’re hoping. It definitely wasn’t an option on any 4th gen Rams, but I think this could be one of those things that they “had in mind” as an option, like how as the model years go on in a generation, they add small features to keep buyers interested in a new truck. It might have been built into the bcm and cluster with the thought of adding it later, kind of like bed lighting or power fold tow mirrors for the earlier HDs.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I don't know if anyone follows JJ (Retroshop) on any social media forms but he already has a prototype harness to adapt the 5th gen HD tails to 4th gens. I don't believe he added the blind spot function. Probably 2 days ago he posted some pic's of the tails on a 4th gen saying he was testing a adapter harness

2018 2500 6.4L Tradesman
I do remember seeing a video of him checking out the new tails a couple months ago when someone started this similar thread in the 5th gen forum. We were curious how he would adapt them because he has to do it universally without relying on software changes with AlfaOBD. I think someone mentioned a curt trailer light switching adapter. Then there’s the challenge of getting the brake light to drop out when the turn signal is used.

Roman217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Probably worth while to get under there and clean out the connector, throw some dielctric grease on it, and reseat it before that gets worse.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I do remember seeing a video of him checking out the new tails a couple months ago when someone started this similar thread in the 5th gen forum. We were curious how he would adapt them because he has to do it universally without relying on software changes with AlfaOBD. I think someone mentioned a curt trailer light switching adapter. Then there’s the challenge of getting the brake light to drop out when the turn signal is used.

I think @chrisbh17 had mentioned the curt trailer adapter for adapting 4th gen led tails. Not sure on what he's figured out on the drop out

2018 2500 6.4L Tradesman

Roman217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

You have to remember that a lot of these modules are shared between FCA vehicles, they have different part numbers for different cars but still work the same. FCA isn't going to reinvent the wheel for each car so there is a lot of commonality. There is a good chance even the gauge clusters would work in other cars if you just plugged them in and good chance even the graphics would change to match even though they wouldn't physically fit.

The only issue that we may encounter is that the CAN messages get updated from time to time, like the 2014 and under guys needing a converter box to run heated seats if they get a 2015+ radio. The question with these sensors would be if they added to base library that our BCMs would know for things like trailer blind stop of if they changed the messaging completely.

I really should do a data log of the blindspot sensors in my sister's GC Summit. While it won't give us the same level of information as having access to the CAN DB, it will help us identify at least some of the messages. Hell, I'm tempted to pull the sensors out of her Jeep to just connect them and see if they work or have the same communication issues.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45