2019 HD Tail lights in a 4th gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roman217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I do remember seeing a video of him checking out the new tails a couple months ago when someone started this similar thread in the 5th gen forum. We were curious how he would adapt them because he has to do it universally without relying on software changes with AlfaOBD. I think someone mentioned a curt trailer light switching adapter. Then there’s the challenge of getting the brake light to drop out when the turn signal is used.

I think it would be doable with a switchback driver and a trailer adapter but that's stacking a lot of modules to make it work. Probably would involve some resistors for people coming from halogens to get rid of the bulb out warnings.

I have some thoughts on how I would do if I couldn't change the BCM settings but going through the BCM definitely makes for a cleaner install. Even though I don't have the lights yet, I may order the connectors and pins and start working on a jump harness for the tails and to get things connected to the BCM, CAN, and PDC.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I got some connectors in the mail, and have two confirmed options for the tail lights.

Connector- Aptiv 54200612- https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Aptiv-formerly-Delphi/54200612?qs=sGAEpiMZZMs7eK6h2EBtKgWB1t55%2BB6K6fB%2B9lf%2B2kk=

Terminals- Aptiv 15435215- https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Aptiv-formerly-Delphi/15435215-L?qs=sGAEpiMZZMs7eK6h2EBtKtMqMhKjYP5b3W5h1iG90ds=

OR

Connector- Molex 33472-1206- https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Molex/33472-1206?qs=/ha2pyFaduikiq7sntUKklFniyFE49tpyMSiTJg1I/elJCuGpayWTA==

Terminals- Molex 33012-2002- https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Molex/33012-2002-Loose-Piece?qs=sGAEpiMZZMs7eK6h2EBtKrDPZUGUvv8SUd2LU%2BdwMiY=

Ironically, Molex was the last manufacturer I searched out, when I realized that it’s printed right on the tail light near the connector. HlmSymY.jpgMolex on the left, Aptiv on the right.

Roman217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When you guys connected the CAN IHS lines, did you run a ground from the taillight to pin 3 on the STAR Connector?

EDIT: NVM, looked at C1 for the STAR connectors, which was a 3 pin. All the rest are 2 pin.

On that note, does anyone know the part number for those connectors instead of paying ~$25 for one from FCA?
http://connectors.dcctools.com/details.htm?id=164944

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
When you guys connected the CAN IHS lines, did you run a ground from the taillight to pin 3 on the STAR Connector?

EDIT: NVM, looked at C1 for the STAR connectors, which was a 3 pin. All the rest are 2 pin.

On that note, does anyone know the part number for those connectors instead of paying ~$25 for one from FCA?
http://connectors.dcctools.com/details.htm?id=164944
Here’s the connector- https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=5-2138650-1

Terminals- https://www.digikey.com/product-det...-amp-connectors/928999-1/A123797CT-ND/5848419

Last edited:

Roman217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just did some quick math, looks like parts for me to get wire, connectors, and pins for a full harness that includes CAN IHS wiring and pulling power from the PDC for the sensors is going to run me about $30. Not too terrible, though with some sites having minimums for connectors and pins, I would end up with enough materials to make three total. So I will either have spare parts or make some extra sets but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Could save some money by splicing directly into the tail light harness on the truck but I would like to be able to easily revert to the original lights.

Only thing left to figure out are the part numbers for the pins that the BCM and PDC use. I will start making a harness even though I don't have the lights yet but I figure as more trucks appear on the road, it will become easier to find a set of tails.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just did some quick math, looks like parts for me to get wire, connectors, and pins for a full harness that includes CAN IHS wiring and pulling power from the PDC for the sensors is going to run me about $30. Not too terrible, though with some sites having minimums for connectors and pins, I would end up with enough materials to make three total. So I will either have spare parts or make some extra sets but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Could save some money by splicing directly into the tail light harness on the truck but I would like to be able to easily revert to the original lights.

Only thing left to figure out are the part numbers for the pins that the BCM and PDC use. I will start making a harness even though I don't have the lights yet but I figure as more trucks appear on the road, it will become easier to find a set of tails.

Sent you a PM.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Small bcm terminals (all connectors)- https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/829-13627884-L?r=829-13627884-L

Large bcm terminals- https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...=sGAEpiMZZMs7eK6h2EBtKsvrPGN8QRd7fLfzUUDQTlM=

Order an extra CAN IHS connector and terminals “just in case”. I have my new left tail light, and I’ll be messing with this tonight and tomorrow. I have a thought about the blind spot and the extra connector, but I won’t know for sure till tomorrow.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well, I got these things all wired up with a conversion harness that is completely plug n play, and removable to return to stock.

I can’t get the blind spot working, though. Everything is hooked up correctly. The left rear tail is brand new, and the right is like new. I wired in amber LED indicators to pins 2&3 of the door modules C1 connectors, and flush mounted them in the sail panels. All the settings enable just fine...until I get to the last one- cabin net left blind spot module. As soon as I hit “next” to enable that one, I get a “ding”, the blind spot alert unavailable service required message screen pops up in the EVIC, and I get the U0232 fault in the BCM and door modules. I get no faults or messages if I leave that one disabled, but, I can’t select the blind spot settings in the radio.

I also noticed when comparing a grand Cherokee BCM to Ram BCMs, all relevant circuits are the same between the two, including the circuit numbers and pin locations. The grand Cherokee has an EXTRA set of CAN IHS circuits on the C7 connector at pins 4&5. I don’t know why they’re there, but I added them to my BCM and ran them to the junction block. This didn’t change anything.

I’m wanting to email Alexey, but I’m not sure exactly what to tell/ask him. I can send him a debug log, but, since it’s not an actual option on the 13-18 Rams, I’m not sure what he can do with it. Unless he needs to see a log of a Grand Cherokee’s blind spot being enabled, and compare the two to see what’s happening?

Kalill Nieto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello guys. I beind wanting to do this mod for a while. I just get the lights, I just order the plugs for the taillights. Still looking for the reverse lights plug to make it easy to plug and play. I will use resistors, I dont want to play with the bcm. I have the turn signals already in the back for a strip tail light that I install time ago. Anyway. I will recomend to take that signals from the front turn signals behind the headlamps. I think is easy than from the bcm. For me, almost 250pound and 6.2 tall was no easy. Anyway. For the red and amber Leds lights work properly I am making a switchback with a relay and a cap. I will take a picture of the diagram later on.

The relay is used to open the circuit of the red light when the amber go on. The amber signal is going to activate the relay and the relay is going to stay open meanwhile the cap is charged, when the cap get discharge because the turn signal went off the red circuit get close and the light go on. The cap go in parallel with the coil of the relay 85/86. Pay attention in the polarity of the cap, negative to ground and the positive of the cap to the turn signal. The red lights wire of the taillight pass through the relay 30/87a.

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using Tapatalk

Kalill Nieto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Of course. I may need help to find the male plug for the reverse light. Anyone?22c58fc6fd654d0cd960678b6ac81ccf.jpg

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
@Kalill Nieto , what female connector did you use for the 3-way connector (park light/stop lamp)? I ended up modifying an H13 connector by cutting off the key way ridges, but I’d like to know if there’s anything more practical.

Kalill Nieto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Switchback diagram. I am using mini relays less than 9$ in ebay for 10 pieces, 2700uf 35volts caps almost the same price.

Edit; add the resistor load for the turn signal.26ae1069a84086e76a49c54fc9ce54e1.jpg

Last edited:

Kalill Nieto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Kalill Nieto , what female connector did you use for the 3-way connector (park light/stop lamp)? I ended up modifying an H13 connector by cutting off the key way ridges, but I’d like to know if there’s anything more practical.
I dont check that. But I was thinking the same. Mod a H13. No big deal.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Switchback diagram. I am using mini relays less than 9$ in ebay for 10 pieces, 2700uf 35volts caps almost the same price.

Edit; add the resistor load for the turn signal.26ae1069a84086e76a49c54fc9ce54e1.jpg
Does there need to be a diode flowing from the turn circuit towards #86/capacitor?

OP
OP
S

superjoe83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, I got these things all wired up with a conversion harness that is completely plug n play, and removable to return to stock.

I can’t get the blind spot working, though. Everything is hooked up correctly. The left rear tail is brand new, and the right is like new. I wired in amber LED indicators to pins 2&3 of the door modules C1 connectors, and flush mounted them in the sail panels. All the settings enable just fine...until I get to the last one- cabin net left blind spot module. As soon as I hit “next” to enable that one, I get a “ding”, the blind spot alert unavailable service required message screen pops up in the EVIC, and I get the U0232 fault in the BCM and door modules. I get no faults or messages if I leave that one disabled, but, I can’t select the blind spot settings in the radio.

I also noticed when comparing a grand Cherokee BCM to Ram BCMs, all relevant circuits are the same between the two, including the circuit numbers and pin locations. The grand Cherokee has an EXTRA set of CAN IHS circuits on the C7 connector at pins 4&5. I don’t know why they’re there, but I added them to my BCM and ran them to the junction block. This didn’t change anything.

I’m wanting to email Alexey, but I’m not sure exactly what to tell/ask him. I can send him a debug log, but, since it’s not an actual option on the 13-18 Rams, I’m not sure what he can do with it. Unless he needs to see a log of a Grand Cherokee’s blind spot being enabled, and compare the two to see what’s happening?
It seems like your truck is acting the same way as mine did. Even though they use BCM's that are physically the same I wonder if the different FCA vehicles use a different base flash for the different BCM's? and possibly why we are having these problems.