2021 Ram 1500 Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

racereks22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 v8
Hello, My front right headlight and turn signal went out on my 2021 1500 and the dealership told me I have to change the whole housing not just the bulbs. When I first saw the message on my truck that my turn signal was out I went to autozone to get a replacement bulb but since it is so new they did not have the information on the replacement bulb. When I got home I realized this truck is not made to just reach in and grab the bulb and replace. The dealership said that the bulbs cannot be replaced so it will be $1,000 to replace the whole thing. Mopar has the housing for around $450 but I wanted to check that this is accurate before I proceed with any repair. I am willing to do the work myself but want to know if the information I have been given is accurate. Thanks

dsherman26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you have LED or standard headlights? Owner's manual indicates you could have either one. Apparently the dealer thinks you have the expensive LED lights. Glad mine just has plain old bulbs.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
@racereks22 post up a picture of the headlights that you have, as mentioned some of the headlights have replaceable bulbs but other do not.

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Even if you have replacable bulbs the entire housing does have to come out to replace the bulb.

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What? It's either halogen or LED. I had halogen bulbs and replaced them with LED bulbs.

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello, My front right headlight and turn signal went out on my 2021 1500 and the dealership told me I have to change the whole housing not just the bulbs. When I first saw the message on my truck that my turn signal was out I went to autozone to get a replacement bulb but since it is so new they did not have the information on the replacement bulb. When I got home I realized this truck is not made to just reach in and grab the bulb and replace. The dealership said that the bulbs cannot be replaced so it will be $1,000 to replace the whole thing. Mopar has the housing for around $450 but I wanted to check that this is accurate before I proceed with any repair. I am willing to do the work myself but want to know if the information I have been given is accurate. Thanks
What trim level is the truck?

OP
OP
R

racereks22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 v8
The dealership ran my VIN and said I had to replace the whole housing because they are LED. It is a Bighorn Level1 so I did not think it came with those. They quoted me $88 for labor and $1k for part. I will just order it myself and replace at home. Thanks for the feedback.

BlackSheepRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The dealership ran my VIN and said I had to replace the whole housing because they are LED. It is a Bighorn Level1 so I did not think it came with those. They quoted me $88 for labor and $1k for part. I will just order it myself and replace at home. Thanks for the feedback.
Wow. Granted, manufacturing stupidity is not surprising these days. Well, not stupidity, intentionally designed to be as unserviceable as possible. “Lifetime” all the things. Haha, right.

I have a 21, and if I have to replace my headlight housings I’d personally go with the Morimoto. Same ballpark price-wise, OE fit, custom look.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I remember when dealerships were lying there butts off, when someone had a broken outside mirror. They said that you could not buy just the parts, they said we had to buy a completely new mirror
All the time, the mirror glass was sitting in the Parts Dept.

with common tools, i completely disassembled a mirror.
After that, Ram owners began hitting up auto dismantling yards

1696485294320.png

shortly after that, MotorCity Mechanic disassembled head light assemblies & showed us how to repair them

Last edited: