2021 Ram Rebel Eco Diesel - Engine Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ian Berger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
Hello,
New to the Forum, interested in knowing if anyone has experienced engine shut down on any 2020/2021 Eco Diesel due to fuel pressure failure?
PCM Error Codes:
P01C6-00
P016F-00
P016D-00
P025C-00
U0158-00

Had my truck 1 week drove 435 miles, was on the freeway doing 65mph, when it lost power and the dash lit up with >Service Electronic Throttle Control.<
Been at the dealership going on 3 weeks now with no solution.
Just looking to hear from anyone else who might have had a similar issue.
Already know about the Gen1 and Gen2 issues,(the W58 code is not the problem in this case.)
Thanks in Advance...

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
P stands for Powertrain
U stands for Network, as in something in the Can Bus system

That code scanner is indicating some trouble codes used by Ford & Volvo ?

except the U code

https://www.obd-codes.com/u0158
U0158 Lost Communication With Head Up Display

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/u0158
Copyright OBD-Codes.com

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Already know about the Gen1 and Gen2 issues,(the W58 code is not the problem in this case.)
What's a W58 code issue?
Be sure to post back what the dealer comes up with. If I had to guess it's possibly a wiring harness issue.
Also just an FYI there is no Gen1 EcoDiesel unless referring back to the original Cadillac prototype which was never on the road.

OP
OP
I

Ian Berger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
Codes are from Ram Dealer- Master Tech doc.
GEN1 References early production V6 Eco Diesel, as for W58 code - it is the code identifying the Tone Ring failure due to magnetic delaminination on the rear p/u sensor of the engine.

socrates2k

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Just had the exact same thing happen to me. 65mph freeway, lost power, ignition shut down. Had to deadstick it to the next offramp and attempt restart. Got it running and seems to be running okay. It is throwing DTC: P01C6, P016F, P025C. Have appointment in 3 weeks (nothing sooner so I get to play Ram Roulette until then)

JesseRook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Same issue here!!
Going 70mph down the highway
Dashboard lights up says "service electronic throttle sensor" then says "start/stop ignition failure"
engine completely shut off, had to dead stick it to the side of the road
Antifreeze/coolant exploded everywhere. so had truck towed to nearest dealership.
Fast forward- 1 week later
Dealership says:
1-Needs starter because the coolant shorted it out when it sprayed everywhere (u can smell it & see where its fried)
2- said there were pages & pages of codes they were ONLY able to read AFTER disconnecting a pigtail from the OBD2 port
3- radiator bone dry, had to pressurize to completely flush due to a small amount of sediment clogging bottom drain of radiator
4- cannot see what else is wrong until after the starter is replaced
The kicker is, I'm sitting almost 400 miles from home, waiting on my truck

Tenth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Anyone get an actual fix to this. My 21 ecodiesel had the same issue, in the shop 5 days now and they only just diagnosed that the fuel system wiring harnes needs replacement. 1 week until the part arives. Just checking if they are barking up the wrong tree leting the truck sit for a week or longer.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
OP good you are in CA, if this issue isnt fixed within 30 days, you get every penny back CA lemon law. Within 18 mos new, they cannot have repairs take 30 days total or 4 attempts to fix any one item, it is then considered a lemon.

I'm not sure why people even think about buying eco diesels anymore, there have been issues since day one. Try to fix it with higher viscosity oil, no way I would buy one. If you get a chance to force lemon law on them, do it. Buy a Cummins or a Hemi, imo.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'm not sure why people even think about buying eco diesels anymore, there have been issues since day one. Try to fix it with higher viscosity oil, no way I would buy one. If you get a chance to force lemon law on them, do it.
Buy a Cummins or a Hemi, imo.
Because there certainly haven't been any issues with cam/lifter failures on the current Hemi's. :Big Laugh:

I've owned a gen 2 ecodiesel and three 5.7 Hemi's. And none of those engines gave me any issues. The gen 3 ecodiesel has been a great engine for folks wanting great fuel economy and range. There will be engine failures with any engine type. If someone is deciding on which truck to buy based on whether or not there have been engine failures, they'll never find one to buy. :happy160:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If you are happy with medium fries, salute, I always go for large or small fries, when I order fries.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
It's not like everybody isn't having trouble with the cheesy Bosch CP4 fuel pump, either - including Cummins.

I've read the Gen III EcoDiesels are finally "fixed" as they should have been at 1st launch. Not sure who makes their fuel pump, though. I would consider one if I ran loaded most of the time, which I don't. Certainly before a Cummins and Bosch CP4.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
The title is misleading. A breakdown is not an engine failure.
My son just got his 2022 only 2,500 miles no issues so far and fantastic mileage.
After the EPA forced the AEM detune (2014,15,16 then factory detuned for 2017,18, 19) they suck compared to the original tunes. Emissions problems, down on power down on mileage. Some had bad lag and the oil gets black quick. Fortunately this is easy to fix with any one of the aftermarket tuner companies. GDE, EOC Ecodiesel owners of Canada, SKT softa King tuned, HD Diesel, Celtic. These are far better than even the original tune. No more unnecessary codes, better mileage, better power, oil stays clean dramatically longer, adds an engine brake. With a proper tune it generally becomes a solid platform.

I had my first one tuned at 30k miles. It later developed a coolant leak in the EGR cooler which sent coolant out the tailpipes so it was hard to diagnose until it became a known issue. The low coolant towing a travel trailer all day caused hot spots & pressure which caused it to push a head gasket at 371,000 miles. My replacement motor went 423,000 miles before cracking a head. My business partner got 452,000 out of his before the fuel pump fragged out and filled a cylinder with shrapnel. None of them spun a bearing. This kind of mileage is common for the industrial grade Cummins in a HD truck but still fairly rare for the gassers. Point being they are not all doomed. In the 1500 line we have three good motor choices. Which is best depends on how you use your truck. Big miles or daily towing a half ton appropriate sized trailer the EDs a great choice. People hauler the Pentastar. Go fast and all arounder the Hemi.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The title is misleading. A breakdown is not an engine failure.
My son just got his 2022 only 2,500 miles no issues so far and fantastic mileage.
After the EPA forced the AEM detune (2014,15,16 then factory detuned for 2017,18, 19) they suck compared to the original tunes. Emissions problems, down on power down on mileage. Some had bad lag and the oil gets black quick. Fortunately this is easy to fix with any one of the aftermarket tuner companies. GDE, EOC Ecodiesel owners of Canada, SKT softa King tuned, HD Diesel, Celtic. These are far better than even the original tune. No more unnecessary codes, better mileage, better power, oil stays clean dramatically longer, adds an engine brake. With a proper tune it generally becomes a solid platform.

I had my first one tuned at 30k miles. It later developed a coolant leak in the EGR cooler which sent coolant out the tailpipes so it was hard to diagnose until it became a known issue. The low coolant towing a travel trailer all day caused hot spots & pressure which caused it to push a head gasket at 371,000 miles. My replacement motor went 423,000 miles before cracking a head. My business partner got 452,000 out of his before the fuel pump fragged out and filled a cylinder with shrapnel. None of them spun a bearing. This kind of mileage is common for the industrial grade Cummins in a HD truck but still fairly rare for the gassers. Point being they are not all doomed. In the 1500 line we have three good motor choices. Which is best depends on how you use your truck. Big miles or daily towing a half ton appropriate sized trailer the EDs a great choice. People hauler the Pentastar. Go fast and all arounder the Hemi.

And all for reduction of just a single exhaust pollutant: oxides of nitrogen. The holy grail was to reduce peak combustion temperature to limit production of NOx, which also happens to reduce peak cylinder pressure (torque) and fuel efficiency. In other words, reducing NOx in a diesel engine reduces the entire reason for a diesel engine. It also includes the reduction of sulfur in the fuel, which strips some of the heavy fuel fractions that have the most energy. So this reduces fuel efficiency further, and raises cost of the fuel at the same time. Basically, exhaust emissions reductions are legislating diesel engines out of existence.

It might have happened regardless with the advent of electric technologies, but it certainly accelerated it. Meanwhile, spark ignited engines have been improved continuously, which is why I went with the 6.4L Hemi. I have been pleased with it. I get better fuel economy with a 3/4 ton truck than we did in the 70's with our car.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
"And all for reduction of just a single exhaust pollutant: oxides of nitrogen. The holy grail was to reduce peak combustion temperature to limit production of NOx, which also happens to reduce peak cylinder pressure (torque) and fuel efficiency. In other words, reducing NOx in a diesel engine reduces the entire reason for a diesel engine. It also includes the reduction of sulfur in the fuel, which strips some of the heavy fuel fractions that have the most energy. So this reduces fuel efficiency further, and raises cost of the fuel at the same time. Basically, exhaust emissions reductions are legislating diesel engines out of existence."

Well said. Yes and not for any good health or environment reason. Its for political purpose. The focus should not be NOx. Europe does not focus on nox as it dissipates & settles to the ground and is only a risk to human health at times in an unusual environment such as the LA basin. In such place it should be handled by local or at most state legislation and not federal. On top of that federally speaking its constitutional its overreach. Last why does the EPA require EGR even where EGR is not required to meet emission output standards. Seems to me its only to destroy the longevity and trouble free operation of citizens small diesels. Major industry, ships, planes real polluters who can buy political favor are not regulated in the same manner. If it was actually for a healthier planet they would be focused on bigger more important things such as forestry and reduction of meat consumption.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
OP good you are in CA, if this issue isnt fixed within 30 days, you get every penny back CA lemon law. Within 18 mos new, they cannot have repairs take 30 days total or 4 attempts to fix any one item, it is then considered a lemon.

I'm not sure why people even think about buying eco diesels anymore, there have been issues since day one. Try to fix it with higher viscosity oil, no way I would buy one. If you get a chance to force lemon law on them, do it. Buy a Cummins or a Hemi, imo.
Spot on, best advice I have seen on here in a long time.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
It would be spot on if OP were talking about a 14-19 but since he is not..
Are you the guy that hooked a tow strap to an ED and got his 6.4 drug down the street?

Rgpb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you have an update on this? Did they fix it? I’m going through the same thing right now.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
wow what a pos engine
delete, gonna leave alone... My ED 2015 was spot on, I moved up to Hemi since using a ED as a Grocery Getter not a good idea. I was hoping FCA got things sorted out with the Gen 3's. Hmmmmmmm, very interesting.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye