2023 5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT eTorque Engine 3.21 Rear Axle Ratio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
In Uconnect settings there will be an option to display the gear number permanently, without having to use the gear limiter.
I just spent 10 minutes going through every setting on mine and I can find nothing referring to "Gear Selector", or "ERS". The only thing that comes close is something about fuel economy.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I just spent 10 minutes going through every setting on mine and I can find nothing referring to "Gear Selector", or "ERS". The only thing that comes close is something about fuel economy.

Sorry my mistake, I was confused with the "ECO" light which you turn on/off in uconnect.

Just checked my truck (5th gen) it's available in the steering wheel setup, scroll down to "8" which is gauge setup, then inside that menu you should see something for "current gear".

Very bizarre how Ram has thrown these very similar settings in two different places, they need to make up their mind and make it consistent.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Sorry my mistake, I was confused with the "ECO" light which you turn on/off in uconnect.

Just checked my truck (5th gen) it's available in the steering wheel setup, scroll down to "8" which is gauge setup, then inside that menu you should see something for "current gear".

Very bizarre how Ram has thrown these very similar settings in two different places, they need to make up their mind and make it consistent.
If the "Steering Wheel Setup" option is something in the Uconnect Settings menu, I don't have that. If you are referring to scrolling through the menus on the EVIC, that might be in there somewhere but instead of scrolling through several pages of menu there it's just easier to tap the ERS button and look at that. It might depend on which Uconnect system and what cluster you have, Midline, Highline, or Premium. I just have the Midline cluster with the Uconnect 5.

But you are right in that RAM be more consistent in what is available. I've had this truck for 3 months and I'm still going through the dang manual. :rolleyes:

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If the "Steering Wheel Setup" option is something in the Uconnect Settings menu, I don't have that. If you are referring to scrolling through the menus on the EVIC, that might be in there somewhere but instead of scrolling through several pages of menu there it's just easier to tap the ERS button and look at that. It might depend on which Uconnect system and what cluster you have, Midline, Highline, or Premium. I just have the Midline cluster with the Uconnect 5.

But you are right in that RAM be more consistent in what is available. I've had this truck for 3 months and I'm still going through the dang manual. :rolleyes:

I think you're missunderstanding me; the "setup" is done once. You do that in the evic using the steering wheel buttons (my truck that's under the menu numbered "8").

Once you've set it up, you'll always have the little gear number showing up in the same spot it shows up with the gear limiter.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I think you're missunderstanding me; the "setup" is done once. You do that in the evic using the steering wheel buttons (my truck that's under the menu numbered "8").

Once you've set it up, you'll always have the little gear number showing up in the same spot it shows up with the gear limiter.
I'll check that out. I've been through all the menus on the EVIC and I haven't noticed that mine are numbered.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

He doesn't state which trim level he has. The cluster may be different.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 92818 miles.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
He doesn't state which trim level he has. The cluster may be different.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 92818 miles.

Quite possible, I have a level 2 bighorn with a nice dash (not the most basic one):

20190628_091556_HDR.jpg

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That's the midline dash it is there. When you scroll with the left steering wheel buttons you will come to menu 8 it is at the top of the display as you scroll. https://youtu.be/ibXjrU4V0TI

Yes, that's my truck and we know its supported there, we're wondering if the basic dash has this support.

OP
OP
A

AndoTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT eTorque
Great timing with your question. I bought the truck a month ago with 2300 miles on it. I took it out last weekend for a maiden tow with my 6400 lbs camper (loaded). It was only about 70 miles, but it gave me a good idea of performance. It towed the camper well up and down hills (I’ve got 3.21 gears). You’re still towing with a half-ton, so you know it’s still behind you, but I thought it performed well when passing traffic and getting on the interstate. Towing MPG was around 12 (better than my Hemi which got 8-9), but again, it was a short trip.

If your WDH is set up right (mine needs a little work), and you’re safe with your speeds, it’ll pull 6800 lbs just fine (depending on terrain, too).

I liked my 2018 Hemi with 3.92s when pulling this camper, but the 3.0 with 3.21s pull it just as well.
Thanks so much for this info! Yeah my loaded trailer right now is ~6,500 lbs. I'd prob try to track down a 3.92 axle ratio. Yup def have a WDH it's a Blue Ox Track Pro rated for 800-1k tongue weight. What's your max tow rarting on that 3.21 Eco Diesel?

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Attachments

• 1687357957110.png
    1687357957110.png
    292.9 KB · Views: 6

HuskerRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Thanks so much for this info! Yeah my loaded trailer right now is ~6,500 lbs. I'd prob try to track down a 3.92 axle ratio. Yup def have a WDH it's a Blue Ox Track Pro rated for 800-1k tongue weight. What's your max tow rating on that 3.21 Eco Diesel?
Around 8300 lbs I think? Still well above my camper weight. This is the biggest camper I think I’ll own, so not worries about the truck and her gears. I would have preferred 3.92 because I had them on my last two Rams, but these 3.21s work very nice for what I use the truck for.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

I'll check that out. I've been through all the menus on the EVIC and I haven't noticed that mine are numbered.
OK, I do see that my menu pages are numbered - just really small characters in the upper left. When I get to #8 it gives me about a half dozen options of where to put what where, but gear range is not one of the options. I still have to tap my ERS to access that.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
OK, I do see that my menu pages are numbered - just really small characters in the upper left. When I get to #8 it gives me about a half dozen options of where to put what where, but gear range is not one of the options. I still have to tap my ERS to access that.

Are you sure though? Might want to triple check :)

You're probably right of course, I just find it odd that Ram gives both dashes the ability to see the gear number when using gear limiter, and gives me the ability to have it on permanently but not your truck.

What are the options you get in that menu?

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Are you sure though? Might want to triple check :)

You're probably right of course, I just find it odd that Ram gives both dashes the ability to see the gear number when using gear limiter, and gives me the ability to have it on permanently but not your truck.

What are the options you get in that menu?
I'm pretty sure. You would have to go into to your EVIC and go through the steps, starting with access page #8, then walk me through it. Obviously, I don't expect you to do that because it isn't that important. I think I could own this truck for the next 20 years like I did my last one and still not know all the dang stuff it has. :crazy:

gwilburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 1500 Limited Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Hey ya'll this is my first post and super happy to have found the community. Bought a 2023 RAM (engine specs in title) and towed my new 2022 Grand Design MK200 travel trailer from TX to GA about ~1,000 miles. I've read some of the posts here and I've found what you guys have said to be extremely accurate, specifically the part about with a 3.21 rear axle ratio in the 1500 how it is most efficient at towing speeds 48-57 MPH. I set my cruise control at 57 MPH on all flat dry roads, could hit 60 MPH on a downhill, and had to back it down to either 54 MPH, 52 MPH, or 50 MPH on all hill climbs depending on steepness of the grade. As others have said here I'm just a little uncomfortable with 57 MPH being my top highway speed pulling this 6,500 lb trailer. Lots of highways with 70 MPH limits and I'm in the far right lane (or sometimes one lane with a line of unhappy people behind me) going 50 crawling up the moderately gentle hills coming into GA. I feel I'd never have a chance at ever taking the trailer to Colorado, Oregon, or even North Carolina where the hills will only get more aggressive. I mean, what would i do crawl up more agressive hills at 35/40 MPH in 70 MPH speed limits? Just feels like I need a bit more power here.

Basically reading that the 3.92 rear axle ratio is more efficient at 58-70 MPH which sounds awesome to be able to maintain 65 MPH and have the truck feeling happy to do so and maintain it. So thinking about just swapping trucks to get the 3.92 rear axle ratio in hopes of maintaining 65 MPH highway speeds. Also read I will lose a little mpg but that's ok. Only other option I'm considering is going for the diesel, but I see most have tow capacity of around 9,600 lbs in the 3.92 rear axle ratio. That's not much more tow capacity than I have right now at 8,200 lbs. If I stick to regular gas and go for the 3.92 I get 11,200 tow capacity.

I'm pretty close to just going out and swapping for my exact same Ram truck (2023 5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT eTorque Engine) but just doing a 3.92 rear axle instead of the current 3.21. Anything I'm missing here or fairly spot on? ** FYI I know I could push my current 3.21 past 57 MPH it just felt like 57 MPH was it's happy zone to maintain on flat roads. Anytime I pushed past that, it did it, it just felt like I was asking a bit too much from the vehicle. Any thoughts appreciated and thanks form a first time Ram owner!
Go get the 3.92 and never look back... I pull a 28' trailer that weighs around 5500 lbs loaded quite a bit. I live in the mountains of the east @ 2800 feet. I made 3 trips last year - two 1700 mile round trips to Michigan and one 1600 mile round trip to Maine. My truck runs in 7th gear at 70-75 mph most of the time... drops to 6th on some inclines depending on wind mostly. If I hit the steep, long climbs on the PA turnpike I'll drop to 5th sometimes if I'm pushing to hold 70 mph. That was with my 2014 - I have a 2023 ordered. Same gearing. I have 98,000 on my truck with 23,000 towing this trailer. No drivetrain issues EVER.

Some will tell you there's no difference between the two rear ends - you'll just be running a lower gear. If that were true, the tow rating would be 3000 lbs. lower for the 3.21.

BTW - I'm the irritated guy behind you in the fast line waiting for you to move over LOL.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Go get the 3.92 and never look back... I pull a 28' trailer that weighs around 5500 lbs loaded quite a bit. I live in the mountains of the east @ 2800 feet. I made 3 trips last year - two 1700 mile round trips to Michigan and one 1600 mile round trip to Maine. My truck runs in 7th gear at 70-75 mph most of the time... drops to 6th on some inclines depending on wind mostly. If I hit the steep, long climbs on the PA turnpike I'll drop to 5th sometimes if I'm pushing to hold 70 mph. That was with my 2014 - I have a 2023 ordered. Same gearing. I have 98,000 on my truck with 23,000 towing this trailer. No drivetrain issues EVER.

Some will tell you there's no difference between the two rear ends - you'll just be running a lower gear. If that were true, the tow rating would be 3000 lbs. lower for the 3.21.

BTW - I'm the irritated guy behind you in the fast line waiting for you to move over LOL.
Personal observation, from a guy who has maintained a CDL for 40 years and tows an RV a lot: If you're running 70-75 MPH pulling a 28' trailer with a 1500-sized truck, you're going to kill someone. I have a RAM 2500, with a 15,000# tow capacity, pulling a 10,000# 30-foot trailer, and my rule is never...never...tow faster than 65. And that is only on the flat, no one-around freeway, like I-10 or I-40 in the middle of New Mexico and Texas. No one is ever in that much of a hurry. :Nonono:

And 2800 feet elevation is still foothills where I come from.

Last edited:

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

There is no difference.

Your wife asks you to go to the market and get a dozen eggs. There are two vendors, Jack and Jill.

Jack is selling 4 cartons with 3 eggs each.
Jill is silling 3 cartons with 4 eggs each.

Does it matter who you buy from? 4x3 = 12, just like 3x4 = 12.

Same with gear ratios.

Transmission gear * rear axle ratio = final gear ratio

Both trucks give you pretty much identical final gear ratios available for you while towing in the city and on the highway.

The reason the tow rating is different is because from a dead stop the transmission in the 3.21 can't downshift anymore to make an equivalent final gear ratio. So yes from a dead stop the 3.92 will accelerate easier. Once both trucks are moving and in the city/highway? No difference.

Tow ratings are based (among other things) on 0 to 30 and 0 to 60 tests, so obviously in those specific cases the 3.92 will have a high tow rating.

But tow ratings are a silly metric; did you know the v6 with the 3.92 is rated to tow about 800 pounds less than the v8 with the 3.21? Ask yourself if you think that's in any way true to life, if you think the v6 will be even close to the v8. If you think it will, I have this bridge I'm trying to sell ....

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No, that's the Highline dash, the middle of the three. I have the Midline, the lowest. Mine has a much smaller screen.
That's not a cluster I've seen before. the one shown previously is the optional TTL color screen which was used on Laramie and up, which the exception of the Limited or Longhorn identifying patterns.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 92833 miles.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That's not a cluster I've seen before. the one shown previously is the optional TTL color screen which was used on Laramie and up, which the exception of the Limited or Longhorn identifying patterns.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 92833 miles.
I understand. Regardless, it's my instrument cluster. I have the baseline model on everything. I did so in order to get the highest possible towing and cargo capacity there is without the diesel engine.

Last edited: