2023 dodge ram filling gas problems.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same here on my '21: for the last two years I had real issues putting fuel into the 33 gallon tank: pump handle always clicked off after a few seconds, regardless how full the tank was, no matter what I did. But then a few months ago, the problem disappeared all of a sudden and everything's fine now.

Have you ever performed top-offs when filling or changed anything about your fuel pumping before the problem disappeared?

Jm91rs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They tell me my rollover valve is defective in the tank (I don't know that they could actually diagnose that without eliminating some other things first). Maybe if I can find a way to roll my truck over for real it will reset that valve.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
I had been traveling for a couple months and had the same problem with the nozzle on the fuel dispenser shutting off like there was something stuck inside my trucks filler neck.

I found out it wasn’t 100% my truck’s fault..in my case it was a combination of the vapor recovery shroud and the speed at which the dispenser was set to operate.

I was not surprised to learn because I’m not a gas station owner myself but, because sales are based on supply and demand, if you are selling gasoline its how many customers per hour you can process and how quickly you can get them supplied.

Not every vehicle is predisposed to having an issue with fuel filling but trucks have longer fill necks and gas station owners want to turn up the flow rates of their pumps and there’s the rub.

If your on the road and can’t shop for a gas station that has nominal flow rates and are not all serviced by the same technician… you can use a writing pen or similar shaped device like a stick tire pressure gauge and place it between the handle and the frame of the dispenser’s trigger.. and it will be slow but at least it will be consistent and not as frustrating.

I don't seem to have as many issues with states that don’t require the vapor recovery equipment on the pump dispensers... or greedy station owners that place profits over customer convenience.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had been traveling for a couple months and had the same problem with the nozzle on the fuel dispenser shutting off like there was something stuck inside my trucks filler neck.

I found out it wasn’t 100% my truck’s fault..in my case it was a combination of the vapor recovery shroud and the speed at which the dispenser was set to operate.

I was not surprised to learn because I’m not a gas station owner myself but, because sales are based on supply and demand, if you are selling gasoline its how many customers per hour you can process and how quickly you can get them supplied.

Not every vehicle is predisposed to having an issue with fuel filling but trucks have longer fill necks and gas station owners want to turn up the flow rates of their pumps and there’s the rub.

If your on the road and can’t shop for a gas station that has nominal flow rates and are not all serviced by the same technician… you can use a writing pen or similar shaped device like a stick tire pressure gauge and place it between the handle and the frame of the dispenser’s trigger.. and it will be slow but at least it will be consistent and not as frustrating.

I don't seem to have as many issues with states that don’t require the vapor recovery equipment on the pump dispensers... or greedy station owners that place profits over customer convenience.
I worked in the fueling industry for MANY years. There is a federal requirement for flow rates not to exceed 10GPM delivery for regular gasoline/blends. This is to allow vapor processing within the vehicle's EVAP system. That's not to say that all abide by that, as there are work-arounds to increase fuel delivery speed. That's also not to say that anybody EVER checks flow rates based on "this pump is way too fast". Most inquiries are for slow delivery speeds. Automatic nozzles shut off based on a venturi system. It's an air exchange taking place. Next time you are about to fuel, look at the down side of the nozzle spout. You'll see a calibrated orifice that is exchanging air while fuel is being delivered. Once that orifice is overcome with fuel presence (think of spout inside filler neck, tank fills, neck fills, now orifice submerged in fuel), CLICK. Same happens if enough vapor/pressure is present. It overcomes the venturi and trips the valve inside the nozzle to stop fuel flow.

On vehicles with diminished EVAP or blocked EVAP systems, this is what is happening most of the time. The air is not escaping the tank and causing premature shut-off. Or fuel is backing up into the fuel neck causing same result.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They tell me my rollover valve is defective in the tank (I don't know that they could actually diagnose that without eliminating some other things first). Maybe if I can find a way to roll my truck over for real it will reset that valve.
Solid plan, go roll the truck :) That issue has long since been addressed as this problem goes back YEARS (per Ram/Chrysler/Dodge/Fiat/Walmart/TacoBell/Nike corporation).

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
I worked in the fueling industry for MANY years. There is a federal requirement for flow rates not to exceed 10GPM delivery for regular gasoline/blends. This is to allow vapor processing within the vehicle's EVAP system. That's not to say that all abide by that, as there are work-arounds to increase fuel delivery speed. That's also not to say that anybody EVER checks flow rates based on "this pump is way too fast". Most inquiries are for slow delivery speeds. Automatic nozzles shut off based on a venturi system. It's an air exchange taking place. Next time you are about to fuel, look at the down side of the nozzle spout. You'll see a calibrated orifice that is exchanging air while fuel is being delivered. Once that orifice is overcome with fuel presence (think of spout inside filler neck, tank fills, neck fills, now orifice submerged in fuel), CLICK. Same happens if enough vapor/pressure is present. It overcomes the venturi and trips the valve inside the nozzle to stop fuel flow.

On vehicles with diminished EVAP or blocked EVAP systems, this is what is happening most of the time. The air is not escaping the tank and causing premature shut-off. Or fuel is backing up into the fuel neck causing same result.
That’s a pretty detailed account of how a fuel dispensing and vapor recovery system works. That might help other members to better interpret my experiences.

TRK_GANG74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My new tank and vent line came in yesterday. Dropping the truck off to get it installed on Thursday afternoon and hopefully pick up on Friday or Sat morning. I’ll report back any info from this service visit. Hopefully they will let me see the old and new tank and take some pics. FYI here is a copy of the TSB if anyone is looking for it.

Attachments

• Fuel TSB.pdf
    693.3 KB · Views: 16

TRK_GANG74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got my truck back this afternoon an hour before the service dept closed. Just filled her up and all is good to go with the new gas tank. It was a bad rollover valve on the tank sticking partially closed when trying to fuel up. Also had to replace the driver side headlight since the bottom led strip decided to go out. In all this only set me back $116. Without the extended warranty the cost would have been $2435.60! Was not able to get pics of the old and new tanks to compare.

Last edited:

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Got my truck back this afternoon an hour before the service dept closed. Just filled her up and all is good to go with the new gas tank. It was a bad rollover valve on the tank sticking partially closed when trying to fuel up. Also had to replace the driver side headlight since the bottom led strip decided to go out. In all this only set me back $116. Without the extended warranty the cost would have been $2435.60! Was not able to get pics of the old and new tanks to compare.
Is it not possible to just replace the rollover valve instead of the entire tank?

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for updating the thread. Hope it has it corrected for you long term!

TRK_GANG74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, they got you on that for a pretty penny if a person had to pay for it themselves.
Hey I only paid $116 and not the two plus grand for the work. Im a happy trucker! I'll take that any day plus they didn't fight me at any point during this. The dealer and service dept have been good to me since I purchased my truck from them.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hey I only paid $116 and not the two plus grand for the work. Im a happy trucker! I'll take that any day plus they didn't fight me at any point during this. The dealer and service dept have been good to me since I purchased my truck from them.
I'd bee smiling, too. I was referring to those whose warranty has expired or who don't have an extended warranty and have to pay out-of-pocket.

TRK_GANG74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd bee smiling, too. I was referring to those whose warranty has expired or who don't have an extended warranty and have to pay out-of-pocket.
I got what you were saying. Just looking around at different sites the 26 gal tank is not that expensive. Saw many for around $300 so if someone has some basic DIY skills they could probably do this change themselves. There is a really good YT video I watched where a guy swaps his 26 gal tank to a 33. Other than some longer fuel connection lines and bigger heat shield needed it’s pretty much the same thing I just had done.

WSix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the update.
I'm calling my dealer tomorrow about this very issue!

vhlonghorns

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks for sharing. My hope would be it's as simple as that vent line being clogged, but reading that it's often much more intense than that and after filler neck replacements don't fix it it's required replacement tanks.
My first problem with this issue on my ‘21 was at 14,000 miles, they replaced the fuel tank, fuel pump, and filler tube. The next replacement of all the above was at 56,000 miles, now at 111,000 miles it is doing the same, except not under warranty. Maybe it’s time for a class action……

Dutra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2018 takes a good while to fill the tank. I never top off just stop when full. But every $2-$3 the pump just stops.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Mine only started cutting off in the past month, or so. I found that all I have to do is pull the nozzle out until it's just stuck in a couple inches and it stops doing it. But it doesn't do it at every pump.