2023 Ram 1500 Etorque problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryan406

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 etorque
Hi all,
Some of you may have experienced the issue I’m about to bring up, but I also wanted to get this out so future buyers are aware.
I just bought a new ‘23 1500 with the 5.7 Etorque. Check engine light came on and now it (battery) isn’t charging. Voltage just keeps going down. I’m still waiting on the dealer to come get it. Only 2,000 miles on it! I don’t know yet but I’m guessing the generator is faulty.

Thanks
Ryan R

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
What exactly are you hoping to make future buyers aware of? Issues come up with new vehicles, that's what the warranty is for. There were some failures with the 48v battery system on 2019 models, which is kind of expected with a new design. But that doesn't mean failures won't happen with any system. These are very complex vehicles. Outlier failures will happen. Again, that's what the warranty is for. Ram isn't producing any more 1500's without etorque so if a buyer wants to avoid the system they'll have to buy another brand. I get it, having something fail on a new vehicle sucks. And it seems like you're venting out of frustration. But your truck will get fixed under warranty. And the chances that something else goes bad in the near future are actually very low.

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
You probably don't even understand the system. Which battery? The voltage meter on the dash measures the engine battery, not the Etorque hybrid battery. The chance of having an engine battery go bad, is the same as any vehicle battery since the creation of the 12volt lead acid battery. It could be anything from a loose wire or defective battery to an inverter or motor generator unit failure. They even went an extra step to make everyone feel better by extending the whole Etorque system warranty to 8 year / 80,000 miles. Maybe you should crack open your manual.

Secondly... The reliability rating for EVERY MANUFACTURER since the pandemic started, is GARBAGE! 2020-2023 vehicles are as bad or worse than they were in the 1990's. There isn't one source that shows customer satisfaction or reliability even holding 2018-2019 levels. 2020-2023 models were slapped together with whatever they had. When they got parts, idiots KEPT buying and paying well over MSRP just to have the latest and greatest. Now they don't even have to try because they are making more than ever!

They raised to MSRP 10k over 2019 pre-pandemic levels for THE SAME THING. They offer chuckle heads 8k OFF the MSRP and they think they got a deal. This kinda upset comes from people who paid 2023 Mercedes Benz prices for the same exact trucks some of us paid 20k less for a few years ago. And my 2019 Etorque with 71,000 miles is STILL on it's original batteries and all it's needed has been oil and filter changes.

HunterCat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
First of all, welcome to the forum.

I'm sure they'll get you squared away and hopefully you won't have any further trouble with your new ride.

It really sucks that hybrids are being shoved down our throat. They're garbage IMO. Very little upside with significant downside; the worst of both worlds. Uneducated consumers (vast majority of people) love them because "they're the latest and greatest". They have no understanding of how things work (nor do they want to know) and to them it's just magic technology. When the time comes that the batteries need to be replaced and the system needs repair or replacement, there will be crying and whining on an epic scale.

I bought a '22 Classic model so I was able to avoid e-torque. Soon you won't be able to get a V8 at all. Eventually, the only non-hybrid ICE they'll offer will be a 4 cylinder turbo like the one recently introduced in the new Chevy Lemonado.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
welcome.gif to Ram Forum, Ryan :cool:

Thanks for sharing your experience, I'm confident a future reader will be relieved to see the same fault they're experiencing. Hopefully, you can update this thread and let everyone know what is discovered and the solution.

While I believe, almost the entire world has lost touch with reality in recent years, the quality in all manufacturing has taken a huge dump, and don't even get me started on the inversion of customer service where we now serve the businesses, I don't believe stating that everything is total crap after year X is completely rational.

I bought a '21 Warlock in Jan '22, made in the USA, and I've had no significant problems yet at about 15K miles. I experienced a brief period with an electrical gremlin that caused my heated steering wheel to intermittently shut off but since re-seating all the fuses, that feature appears to be long gone.

I do believe that buying a new vehicle is the same as anything these days, it's always a gamble to not get a lemon. I've gambled by buying my new Warlock and won the lottery because it seems very reliable to date.

I won't likely take that gamble again for any reason unless a Powerball or Lotto Max makes a large appearance. Even then, I'd store my Warlock because I have confidence it functions correctly.

YMMV

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to the Ram forum, your dealer should be able to find your problem.
Hopefully. Sounds like bad connections, inverter or MGU failure, but U gotta troubleshoot all that stuff. OP, get it into the DEALER, see if they give U a loaner and let them fix it. Make maximum use of that Warranty.

OP
OP
R

Ryan406

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 etorque
Thanks guys,
I limped it to the dealer yesterday, I’ll update you on the diagnosis. I understand it’s under warranty, the main issue is that I live in the back country (50) miles from town so it’s just a pain to have it break down & bring it to dealer. Clay282 excuse me, no I don’t really understand the system, I’m more of an old school wrench turner, not up on this hybrid crap. Yes I did read my owners manual, nothing there to help me with this issue. It is the 12v battery that is not charging, I tested battery it is good.
At least I have my trusty old K20 Chevy to get me by lol.

Marusho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
This seems a good place to bring up a factoid: The voltage reading displayed on the dash is meant to make you feel good, and doesn't go below 12. The true charging voltage may be accessible through OBD2 but I just use a multimeter on the battery. The OEM battery on my '19 began to fail at 6 months. I'm happy with my WalMart EverStart recommended by Project Farm Youtube channel. Nothing untoward happened when I disconnected the OEM battery.

RATFlNK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
Hi all,
Some of you may have experienced the issue I’m about to bring up, but I also wanted to get this out so future buyers are aware.
I just bought a new ‘23 1500 with the 5.7 Etorque. Check engine light came on and now it (battery) isn’t charging. Voltage just keeps going down. I’m still waiting on the dealer to come get it. Only 2,000 miles on it! I don’t know yet but I’m guessing the generator is faulty.

Thanks
Ryan R
Same happened to my 2019 a couple years ago. After throwing a new battery in (and that not being the case and it died), I got the dealership to tow it there. They reflashed the computer and I probably got a call about an hour after it showed up. Haven’t had a problem since

Bob123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In case it helps... I had the same problem on my 2021 1500 5.7 w/etorque. Mine was showing eratic battery charge levels and also making some noise and it sounded like it was coming from the torque battery itself. They ordered the part and replace it, but the slight whining noise was still there. Turns out it was not the battery but what they called a rotation bearing making the noise and because that controlled the pulley it was not charging properly.

Zac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L ETorque
It is interesting that I find almost everyone in this forum are against technology and in this case etorque. Not a single reason given why. There are 100's of trucks out there with etorque with no problem including mine. Ford had problems with turbo and water rusting stuff. My 2019 honda pilot rear suspension sucks. It is price we all pay today don't like it buy a 1960's. I loved my 1972 Bronco. I should have kept my 3/4 HD 460 1994 Ford. Had it for 28 years no problem, none. But I tell you my 2022 Laramie rides better than anything I had. I am 74 tried all kinds. You pay the price for technology and things go wrong and that is life. They will fix yours. Be happy and enjoy it. If you live in cold climate stay away from air suspension. My 2017 was total nightmare.

HunterCat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
It is interesting that I find almost everyone in this forum are against technology and in this case etorque. Not a single reason given why. There are 100's of trucks out there with etorque with no problem including mine. Ford had problems with turbo and water rusting stuff. My 2019 honda pilot rear suspension sucks. It is price we all pay today don't like it buy a 1960's. I loved my 1972 Bronco. I should have kept my 3/4 HD 460 1994 Ford. Had it for 28 years no problem, none. But I tell you my 2022 Laramie rides better than anything I had. I am 74 tried all kinds. You pay the price for technology and things go wrong and that is life. They will fix yours. Be happy and enjoy it. If you live in cold climate stay away from air suspension. My 2017 was total nightmare.

I'm against tech that provides little to no real benefit i.e. expensive gimmicks. The batteries are expensive and they don't last forever despite the propaganda. Also, the system is an added complication that can leave you stranded and become very costly while providing no real benefit. If you're someone that gets a new truck every few years, the downside is probably limited to inconvenience if it goes bad.

Let's look at this from the other prospective. What do you find beneficial in this system? What real world benefit are you getting that you can demonstrate e.g. did you have a RAM 5.7 non-etorque and you now get significant mpg improvement?

Zac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L ETorque
Yes I did 2017 Laramie limited. Nice truck with worthless air suspension. Mine is 2022 Laramie knight edition etorqe. To answer your questions 1- Better millage (not huge but better), 2 - 105 additional ftlb of torque 3 - no starter 4 - break assist 5 - responsiveness, 6 - increased towing capacity to 12750. 7-smoother and quicker response. Etc. I am sure you can find many articles. Downside 48 volt battery cost 759 but suppose to last 100k. All new cars have complexity. Do you think up keep of supercharge or twin turbo is free. Electronic module or display cost about 5k. But I enjoyed all the above mentioned benefits. I beleive in extended warranty for any new car. I have it in my Ram and Honda. It is a choice. I could have purchased Lower trim without etorgue but I enjoy all the gadgets. I wish I had 360 and lane change and blind monitor. But I had to move to limitted with air suspension and that is no go for me.

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
First of all, welcome to the forum.

I'm sure they'll get you squared away and hopefully you won't have any further trouble with your new ride.

It really sucks that hybrids are being shoved down our throat. They're garbage IMO. Very little upside with significant downside; the worst of both worlds. Uneducated consumers (vast majority of people) love them because "they're the latest and greatest". They have no understanding of how things work (nor do they want to know) and to them it's just magic technology. When the time comes that the batteries need to be replaced and the system needs repair or replacement, there will be crying and whining on an epic scale.

I bought a '22 Classic model so I was able to avoid e-torque. Soon you won't be able to get a V8 at all. Eventually, the only non-hybrid ICE they'll offer will be a 4 cylinder turbo like the one recently introduced in the new Chevy Lemonado.
Same

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Lots of people have said why they don't like the etorque system in multiple threads in this forum. Not sure why you would claim otherwise unless you just haven't read through the threads.

Yes I did 2017 Laramie limited. Nice truck with worthless air suspension. Mine is 2022 Laramie knight edition etorqe. To answer your questions 1- Better millage (not huge but better), 2 - 105 additional ftlb of torque 3 - no starter 4 - break assist 5 - responsiveness, 6 - increased towing capacity to 12750. 7-smoother and quicker response. Etc. I am sure you can find many articles. Downside 48 volt battery cost 759 but suppose to last 100k. All new cars have complexity. Do you think up keep of supercharge or twin turbo is free. Electronic module or display cost about 5k. But I enjoyed all the above mentioned benefits. I beleive in extended warranty for any new car. I have it in my Ram and Honda. It is a choice. I could have purchased Lower trim without etorgue but I enjoy all the gadgets. I wish I had 360 and lane change and blind monitor. But I had to move to limitted with air suspension and that is no go for me.
Just a few comments...fuel economy difference was negligible for the wife and I. I see more of a variance in fuel economy by taking an alternate route to work one day over the course of a tank which adds 6 extra blocks of in town driving than the etorque system provides. Under certain conditions I can see how it would give you an improvement, but that would be with much more city driving than I ever see. The additional torque isn't something you can even notice, as it's not applied when you would be able to feel it. If you'll notice, both of the Hemi engines are rated for the same horsepower and torque. Also, there is still a traditional starter, which is used when starting the engine with the push button or the fob. The etorque motor/generator is only used to start the engine during stop/start operation. Your other claims are mostly subjective, and also not something I've noticed. Having owned each version of 5th gen hemi I have experience driving both.

Zac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L ETorque
Every one has an openion. I said fuel is minimal but it is, I don't agree about torque, it is much better than my 2017 same engine, rear end, trans. My openion so far has been positive. Would it change down the road?? Besides if you don't want etorque you should opt to basic or may be a chev. My point is it is the way, and it is not going to change. I am personally Ford person but I did not want to dish out 6k more for same package. And I have no interest in turbo and Ford V8. Yes I red all the comments in this post and could not find anything important to change my mind. Yes there are other posts for and against. But does not matter decision are made by the big boys like it or not. I will take back my 72 Bronco any day if I could.
My comments were for the gentlemen with brand new truck. I was trying to give him some positive feed back. It pretty ugly to dish out 60k+ for a truck and have problem from day one. People need little encorgment in this life.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I can accept your explanation that you were trying to give positive feedback to the OP. It's just that your post came off more like a confrontational response to those who say they don't like having the system. My response was mainly to correct a couple of the errors in what you said were reasons for liking the system.

terb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
steam
Anyone price the ETorque starter/generator out of warranty?