2023 Ram 1500 Etorque problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HunterCat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Yes I did 2017 Laramie limited. Nice truck with worthless air suspension. Mine is 2022 Laramie knight edition etorqe. To answer your questions 1- Better millage (not huge but better), 2 - 105 additional ftlb of torque 3 - no starter 4 - break assist 5 - responsiveness, 6 - increased towing capacity to 12750. 7-smoother and quicker response. Etc. I am sure you can find many articles. Downside 48 volt battery cost 759 but suppose to last 100k. All new cars have complexity. Do you think up keep of supercharge or twin turbo is free. Electronic module or display cost about 5k. But I enjoyed all the above mentioned benefits. I beleive in extended warranty for any new car. I have it in my Ram and Honda. It is a choice. I could have purchased Lower trim without etorgue but I enjoy all the gadgets. I wish I had 360 and lane change and blind monitor. But I had to move to limitted with air suspension and that is no go for me.

I have no personal experience with etorque, so I thought the only benefit would be a slight uptick in mileage. Nice to hear from people with actual experience. Glad you're getting the most out of the system.

I like a good old naturally aspirated engine with no turbos, MDS, start/stop, emergency braking, lane assist etc. My current V6 RAM will probably be the last new vehicle I'll be able to buy that meets my minimalist requirements. I'm officially a dinosaur :)

Zac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L ETorque
I have no personal experience with etorque, so I thought the only benefit would be a slight uptick in mileage. Nice to hear from people with actual experience. Glad you're getting the most out of the system.

I like a good old naturally aspirated engine with no turbos, MDS, start/stop, emergency braking, lane assist etc. My current V6 RAM will probably be the last new vehicle I'll be able to buy that meets my minimalist requirements. I'm officially a dinosaur :)
Nothing wrong with being minimalist. All is a choice. This is my last vehicle also. I am 74. I use it very little. It was my big to do for my retirment. I am not rich but it is paid for, I can"t take a penny to unknown when I die.

Bandit1859

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update:
The generator failed. Dealer has a new one coming, under warranty obviously.
Didn’t see that coming with only 2,000 miles on it, but hey maybe it will be good for awhile.
Seems that is a problem with most of trucks. When I was buying the etorque was just coming out. I made sure I stayed away from it. Anything new I try to stay away from And etorque was new in 2019 and 20

yrraljguthrie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
etorque5.7
I had a 1972 Chevy that had very little "useless" electronics. All of the electronics added since then have been incremental and "of little use" if one considers one year to the next. I'm sure every time something new was added there were experts who knew they weren't any good. However, the difference in ride quality between then and now is amazing. The noise level now is simply a different world. That tuned quiet ride is because of electronics, there is a device that cancels some sounds. My 1972 didn't have electronic cruise control. Didn't have any cruise control. Had an AM radio with two speakers. Did not have antilock brakes. I could go on...ah wait that engine got 10 mpg, with no computer. So I'd have to say that your useless and marginally useful electronics is not a wise or well-thought-out concept. There is absolutely no question that any 2023 Ram is far better than any 1972 pickup and it's mostly because of electronics. The changes made to engines since 1972 are mostly electronically based. Computers. The etorque with its battery is a step along that way. People who want to slow down or rewind progress because they don't like it or don't want it are a scourge on society. If you don't like the etorque then suggest a way to improve it, not a way to go back to get rid of a basically good idea. Unless you can't go forward, but must always go back to be satisfied.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I had a 1972 Chevy that had very little "useless" electronics. All of the electronics added since then have been incremental and "of little use" if one considers one year to the next. I'm sure every time something new was added there were experts who knew they weren't any good. However, the difference in ride quality between then and now is amazing. The noise level now is simply a different world. That tuned quiet ride is because of electronics, there is a device that cancels some sounds. My 1972 didn't have electronic cruise control. Didn't have any cruise control. Had an AM radio with two speakers. Did not have antilock brakes. I could go on...ah wait that engine got 10 mpg, with no computer. So I'd have to say that your useless and marginally useful electronics is not a wise or well-thought-out concept. There is absolutely no question that any 2023 Ram is far better than any 1972 pickup and it's mostly because of electronics. The changes made to engines since 1972 are mostly electronically based. Computers. The etorque with its battery is a step along that way. People who want to slow down or rewind progress because they don't like it or don't want it are a scourge on society. If you don't like the etorque then suggest a way to improve it, not a way to go back to get rid of a basically good idea. Unless you can't go forward, but must always go back to be satisfied.
I was somewhat in agreement with you until you went off the rails near the end. The etorque system is a poor example for some of the things you listed before that. It's not so much for the benefit of consumers. It's more to help Stellantis with their fuel economy ratings (CAFE). It can improve fuel economy under the right conditions to benefit the consumer, but there's no guarantee it will. The other things Ram claims it does aren't even noticeable, so it can't compare with the examples you gave of a more comfortable or quieter ride. I don't want to slow down or rewind progress. I just want people to have a choice to buy something that was available until 2023...a Ram 1500 with a Hemi and no etorque. I have one right now, so I don't really have a dog in this fight. It's likely my next new truck probably won't even have a v8, or possibly not even an internal combustion engine.

yrraljguthrie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
etorque5.7
You're actually one of the people I'm talking about. You want to stop advancing at some point of your choosing because it's convenient to you or you've decided it's no good to YOU. Etorque works fine for me and I like it. Most people that actually use it do. And you have no idea what it will evolve into next and don't want to know. Instead of saying you don't like it you have decided it's not any good for anyone. Not good for you it can't be any good get rid of it. I know people who said exactly the same things you are now saying about anti-lock brakes. Exactly. They were sure the brakes were going to cause accidents and kill people. Antilock brakes were denigrated just about the same way as etorque is now. Yes, you do want to slow down and go backward, in fact, you just said so.

I'm done. Sometimes even a 16 lb. sledgehammer won't get the job done.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You're actually one of the people I'm talking about. You want to stop advancing at some point of your choosing because it's convenient to you or you've decided it's no good to YOU. Etorque works fine for me and I like it. Most people that actually use it do. And you have no idea what it will evolve into next and don't want to know. Instead of saying you don't like it you have decided it's not any good for anyone. Not good for you it can't be any good get rid of it. I know people who said exactly the same things you are now saying about anti-lock brakes. Exactly. They were sure the brakes were going to cause accidents and kill people. Antilock brakes were denigrated just about the same way as etorque is now. Yes, you do want to slow down and go backward, in fact, you just said so.

Lets keep this civil, and I'll thank you to not put words in my mouth. I have never said I don't want anyone else to have etorque. In fact, I couldn't care less what other people buy. I care only about what I buy, and I want the CHOICE to be able to buy a Hemi powered truck without etorque. The difference between the two isn't subtle. In this case it's you who seems to think we should be forced to like what you like (etorque).

Zac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L ETorque
I was somewhat in agreement with you until you went off the rails near the end. The etorque system is a poor example for some of the things you listed before that. It's not so much for the benefit of consumers. It's more to help Stellantis with their fuel economy ratings (CAFE). It can improve fuel economy under the right conditions to benefit the consumer, but there's no guarantee it will. The other things Ram claims it does aren't even noticeable, so it can't compare with the examples you gave of a more comfortable or quieter ride. I don't want to slow down or rewind progress. I just want people to have a choice to buy something that was available until 2023...a Ram 1500 with a Hemi and no etorque. I have one right now, so I don't really have a dog in this fight. It's likely my next new truck probably won't even have a v8, or possibly not even an internal combustion engine.
It does not matter if agree with you or not, but adding in my openion will be great.

Zac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L ETorque
Lets keep this civil, and I'll thank you to not put words in my mouth. I have never said I don't want anyone else to have etorque. In fact, I couldn't care less what other people buy. I care only about what I buy, and I want the CHOICE to be able to buy a Hemi powered truck without etorque. The difference between the two isn't subtle. In this case it's you who seems to think we should be forced to like what you like (etorque).
That decision made by big boys. Etorque going to stay. As a matter of fact you will not get a RAM without it in the future in my openion.

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That decision made by big boys. Etorque going to stay. As a matter of fact you will not get a RAM without it in the future in my openion.

What is an openion?

No, you can and will get a ram without it. Just have to go bigger. Something to chew on, if “etorq” provided any benifits why wouldn’t they use it on the HD models? It’s all about the CAFE, it’s smoke and mirrors that people are falling for.

I love this forum, always good for a laugh!

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I 100% believe, agree with you and enjoy a non-E junkola RAM, but I's not a Dino, I's a Turkey.

army turk1.JPG

Zac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L ETorque

Frankly I like mine
What is an openion?

No, you can and will get a ram without it. Just have to go bigger. Something to chew on, if “etorq” provided any benifits why wouldn’t they use it on the HD models? It’s all about the CAFE, it’s smoke and mirrors that people are falling for.

I love this forum, always good for a laugh!
We are talking about 1500. So you are here to insult anyone that does not believe in what you beleive. Why are you in this forum if you can't handle opposing views.

Last edited:

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Frankly I like mine

We are talking about 1500. So you are here to insult anyone that does not believe in what you beleive. Why are you in this forum if you can't handle opposing views.

Apologies, did not mean to “insult”

That’s just my openion (opinion).

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Apologies, did not mean to “insult”

That’s just my openion (opinion).
I get a lil "gobble" everytime I read PPL banting back and forth on their opinions, and how diametrically opposed they R. Reminds me of the Current Political and Cultural Climate in the country. I would neva do E junkola. Now what may be skerry is the new Hurricane coming out with a inline six and turbo's. Hmmmm, maybe a inline 6 in a Diesel, on a gasser with turbo's, uh oh, this should be interesting. Also, I just saw on news last night RAM pushing their new EV "ugly" a** truck forward.

IMHO, EV great for the local guy, not pulling loads, basically GG truck. But on the road, well their needs to me to be monster improvement in Charge capabilities, ranges, and and. I do not see the current country electrical grid being able to maintain millions of EV's. Heck here, now, they are screaming to conserve power because there may not be enuf to keep grid stable. Now imagine everybody plugging in a EV to charge, what an joke. But that is my Opinion. We all got em, and I served 42 years in public service for PPL to have that right, but then again, just IMHO.

DA BOIRD

army turk1.JPG

Last edited:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Stating the obvious there, but it's true. Doesn't mean I can't have my own openion (sp) about it as well. ;)

I'm nearing retirement and my needs are changing. Mama loves to travel so a TT is probably in my future. At that point it's likely we'll move up to HD models anyway. Our current 1500 is a non etorque Hemi now so like I said before, I don't really have a dog in this fight anymore. I was providing the experience I have had after owning two etorque Hemi 1500's. Bottom line is in my opinion it's not all that it's cracked up to be. Other people think it is. At the end of the day it's not going away so buyers will have to learn to live with it or switch to another truck brand if they want to avoid it.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Stating the obvious there, but it's true. Doesn't mean I can't have my own openion (sp) about it as well. ;)

I'm nearing retirement and my needs are changing. Mama loves to travel so a TT is probably in my future. At that point it's likely we'll move up to HD models anyway. Our current 1500 is a non etorque Hemi now so like I said before, I don't really have a dog in this fight anymore. I was providing the experience I have had after owning two etorque Hemi 1500's. Bottom line is in my opinion it's not all that it's cracked up to be. Other people think it is. At the end of the day it's not going away so buyers will have to learn to live with it or switch to another truck brand if they want to avoid it.
People could maybe get one of them new 2024 RAM 1500's with that "hurricane" motor if it makes it out for 24, or 25, LOL. Since the pentastar has the E Torque, wonder if they gonna jam that system onto the New hurricane motor, Hmmmmmmmm. I also wonder, since they are talking the Hemi going away, if with the Hurricane 6, the pentastar may go away also, just like the ED, hmmmmm. Decisions, decisions made by a few people that impact so many more.

Silver21Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
I've had both.
A 2019 1500 Hemi and a 2021 1500 Hemi etorque.
Of the two, I have no issues with the etorque and would buy another by choice.
I really like it as it seems to have more on quick acceleration.
The 2021 is clearly a more advanced product over the 2019 and with improved quality.
With what is on the horizon, the day is coming when you will wish that you had a hemi etorque.

Blue Box

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all,
Some of you may have experienced the issue I’m about to bring up, but I also wanted to get this out so future buyers are aware.
I just bought a new ‘23 1500 with the 5.7 Etorque. Check engine light came on and now it (battery) isn’t charging. Voltage just keeps going down. I’m still waiting on the dealer to come get it. Only 2,000 miles on it! I don’t know yet but I’m guessing the generator is faulty.

Thanks
Ryan R
My wife JUST bought a '23 1500 RAM with the 5.7 E-Torque. It lasted 30 km before the check engine and battery lights came on. Got it back to the dealer and they replaced what they call the "Motor Generator Unit" (MGU) "Hybrid Control Processor (HCP). I see that you wrote on July 11th. Hopefully the issue has been resolved for you. I will be keeping a very close eye on this E-Torque system.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My wife JUST bought a '23 1500 RAM with the 5.7 E-Torque. It lasted 30 km before the check engine and battery lights came on. Got it back to the dealer and they replaced what they call the "Motor Generator Unit" (MGU) "Hybrid Control Processor (HCP). I see that you wrote on July 11th. Hopefully the issue has been resolved for you. I will be keeping a very close eye on this E-Torque system.
And there it is. Probably the number one reason why people don't want this system. It adds complexity to an otherwise great engine. For people like me, who drive very little city miles where the stop/start can actually save gas, it's adding a potentially expensive failure point without the benefit of saving money on fuel.