$2200 transmission service?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Did the service myself on my 8 speed. With the help from this most excellent site and the members within (thank you all).

Would've paid the dealer to do it, but they never called back (twice) to give me a price.

7 qts of Mopar 8+9 speed fluid at $21/qt. (Used 5-1/2 qts.), and an OE pan from RockAuto ($170), and a garden sprayer from Amazon ($20).

Wasn't the easiest process, but also not too difficult. Did the fill procedure, got her up to temp, let her sit overnight, rechecked and topped her off the next day.

Giving some thought to the PPE pan and Valvoline maxlife when I hit 200k miles (about 35k to go).

So, it was only about $400 for OE fluid and pan, shipped, dealer was $8/qt higher on the fluid, and $150 higher on the pan, so they would've banged me pretty hard esp. with labor added on, but thankful they didn't call back which gave me the resolve to DIY, with members' encouragement.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If they put on behind the CTD they better make sure the owner can check the trans fluid & service it them selves and not require it to use $32 qt ATF...
There was a rumour floating around a year or so back that ZF was working on an 8 speed for the Cummins,but i haven't heard anything about it now for awhile,so not sure if it'll ever come to fruition or not

Gom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just tried to get the dealer to do this transmission servcie and first quote was $700-something and then a call back and a quote of $1000-something, all while telling me it didn't need to be done at 60k miles. So it was clear they didn't want to do it, or at least it seemed that way. Put it off for now. Don't really want to do it myself but I guess I am going to have to at some point.

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did the transmission service with valvoline maxlife and a ppe pan. Highly recommended. I was towing a heavy trailer on a short 15km trip and the temps stayed cool. Under 85c on a heavy heavy load.

andymax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did the transmission service with valvoline maxlife and a ppe pan. Highly recommended. I was towing a heavy trailer on a short 15km trip and the temps stayed cool. Under 85c on a heavy heavy load.
First, it's notable the the OP Smudge (name seems to fit) has not commented back and has only made 10 total posts... so it seems he's just another typical troll. AMF!

Back to the point...Gero this is exactly my plan for one of the next weekends...got the PPE pan and fluid waiting in the garage. I've got 103K miles on it, 95% highway miles. Like my last high mileage tranny I'll probably send a fluid sample off to Blackstone to see how I'm doing. I anticipate really good numbers, like on my last ZF8.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I just tried to get the dealer to do this transmission servcie and first quote was $700-something and then a call back and a quote of $1000-something, all while telling me it didn't need to be done at 60k miles. So it was clear they didn't want to do it, or at least it seemed that way. Put it off for now. Don't really want to do it myself but I guess I am going to have to at some point.
$700 from the dealer seems a bit low to me. Now, $1000 seems more in line.

I did mine at 100k-ish, and the fluid was dark, which seems to be common with oe fluid.

My truck doesn't have a hitch and I do very little hauling. If your use is more severe, I would do it at the ZF recommended interval, 60-80k (?) miles.

It's really not bad to do, a little intensive, but that's it. Definately worth it for piece of mind.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You might wanna call a Chevy dealer and find out what they charge.
You joke, but there's a Gm dealer I've used a few times in alberta to work on my ram because they have good techs there vs the ram dealer a block up the road that are useless.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The dealers don't seem to want to touch the zf. At least not in my experience. I asked about it a few months back with no reply other than not needed. It's been changed twice already though due to gasket and valve body failures in the first 10000kms so only 100000 kms or so on the fluid at the moment. Right on the zf recommendation to my knowledge.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I did mine at 100k-ish, and the fluid was dark, which seems to be common with oe fluid.

My truck doesn't have a hitch and I do very little hauling. If your use is more severe, I would do it at the ZF recommended interval, 60-80k (?) miles.

It's really not bad to do, a little intensive, but that's it. Definately worth it for piece of mind.
Might be the difference between just doing a fluid drop, or flushing the lines and replacing all the fluid.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 89405 miles.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
My $0.02 is to also install the caulk04 transmission cooler upgrade when you do your 8spd trans service.

This is an invaluable item that will greatly assist your transmissions life!

I'm seeing 20 to 30 deg temp reductions in my trans temps and a much happier transmission when shifting, especially at WOT!

Gom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I do tow a 18ft boat but no real hauling and the boat is maybe a dozen times a year though some drives can be several hours.
I just feel it's the right thing to do at 60k miles, it's a good transmission and I want to keep it that way.
I have seen a couple video's of doing this and I would rather not do it. Heck, I hate changing the oil on this truck just because of that oil filter but I still do it.
Probably look at doing it next year though, I will have +70k on it by then.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I do tow a 18ft boat but no real hauling and the boat is maybe a dozen times a year though some drives can be several hours.
I just feel it's the right thing to do at 60k miles, it's a good transmission and I want to keep it that way.
I have seen a couple video's of doing this and I would rather not do it. Heck, I hate changing the oil on this truck just because of that oil filter but I still do it.
Probably look at doing it next year though, I will have +70k on it by then.
Totally agree. Piece of mind.

It's really not hard, except for the getting up and down for me and my fat ass.....lol.

Will be curious to see what your old fluid looks like when you drain it. Mine was pretty dark around 100k.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank